Why do you use Emby over Plex?

xDeepS

We also have the realtime monitor feature, and most of our apps are free to stream as well.

• Like 3

arche

What got me was the user management at first. I will admit I started with Plex, but once I found Emby (well then it was MB), I was hooked. Everything else just got better over time. The community is great, even though I don't think Luke is real (maybe a Emby Bot), lol, but with patience and helping the best I can to contribute, I can't go back to Plex. I have tried a couple times just to see what was happening and I just can't stick with them. Too much, "it's their way or the highway" mentality. 

• Like 2

jodumont

I read those articles, but what program is better is up to you, When I read those I thought that Plex was better and was my first to try, then I tried Emby and Liked it more and think its better. I didn't like the Plex clients on android the Lay out is horrible, that was where Emby won for me.

Yes these article is really not as the title suggest. The title suggest a person enthusiasm to use Emby and at the end it said Plex is better ;)

Anyway; as I said I still discovering and my choice going more and more through Emby

Do emby have something similar of these two companions ?

1. Plex Monitor/Statistic : https://github.com/Tautulli/Tautulli

2. PlexRequest : http://plexrequests.8bits.ca/

:)

jodumont

Maybe you already know this, in the Library settings there is an option "enable real time monitoring", if this is selected when you add a movie it will automatically added to your library without doing a library scan, This is even better than doing a scan every hour because the scans tend to slow down the server a little.

After you mention it, I found it ;)

5b090ef6810c7_Screenshot_20180526_093726

Now, and again ;)

Plex vs Emby; a little detail but very useful to avoid annoyance;

with Plex on Kodi you could Start the apps on Kodi Startup,

which is in Plex : Under Advanced there's a 'Start Plex on Kodi Startup' option.

Do Emby have that

and/or do Emby will consider to implement this

and/or somebody knows how to make it happen, because after a quick search, I didn't find the way to make a autostart on Kodi.

ps : Guys you convince me and I just shutdown my Plex server

Edited by jodumont
  • Like 1

tdiguy

To me emby works better on lower end devices ( server wise ) and transcoding is not something that is just inevitable therefore build around it. I have a low end system that can be build from scratch for about 200$ ( maybe less ) with mi box 3's or fire tv devices for me live tv normally direct streams or direct plays and my recordings all direct play.  I switched from a proprietary system where i paid about 40$ a month in equipment fee's to a consumer owned ( me :) ) system that i spent aprox 360$ on. so in about a year its a break even. Course there is also 1 other bonus i could not get with the dish system, none of my media is locked into a proprietary system. If i want to download movies or recorded shows to something i can and i dont have to jump through a bunch of hoops to do it.

• Like 1

nyplayer

I use the HDHomeRUN dvr within KODI and use PLEX to stream my media ... I was using EMBY but recently switched because I do not want to run a Server PC ... I have HDHomerun DVR running on my PR4100 along with PLEX .. emby does not support the PR4100 WD Nas.

KODI brings all this together using the unofficial KODI HDHRDVR plugin and PLexKodiConnect…. Waiting on Emby to support WD PR4100... or support hardware transcoding on the Shield.

PS I still do some Emby beta testing.

Edited by nyplayer

Sammy

Because it is better overall.

That and I "grew up with it."

Right now, Plex DVR is broken for me and I don't like their guide or organization. Additionally, their Server Settings are actually quite limited comparatively. Oh, and then there's the lack of any response by the developers on their forum for specific issues.

Need I go on?

• Like 1

nyplayer

Have to agree the PLEX DVR craps out too often and does not share tuners … you cannot beat the EMBY support no matter what the problem is even if it is caused by me  :)  :)  :) … they give me one on one support until the problem is cleared up.... and the forum members are quick to help.

Edited by nyplayer
  • Like 2

BAlGaInTl

The biggest reason for me is that emby allows me to manage my server and what connects to it without any interference, and all clients can connect directly rather than through any emby services.  The fact that the support here is much better is just a bonus :D

All this.

I came for the live TV, and stayed for the above.