Why do you use Emby over Plex?

xDeepS

The feature that won me over was the IPTV as source support on Live TV. Being able to DVR IPTV streams is a huge deal. 

What do you love about Emby?

• Like 1

scubajwd

I'm probably an exception as I have a powerful back-end

server (fully decked out Intel NUC6i7KYK) that 

hardly breathes hard with the on-the fly transcode feature

of EMBY..makes for a much better out-of-the house

streaming experience to my Samsung Note8 Phablet; also

I prefer Emby's implementation of the EPG;  (I know..I have

heard Plex is coming out with a grid guide soon)

also, unless

things have changed Plex does not do tuner sharing last

time I looked; I do use Plex for viewing content along with

Emby..just don't use their DVR; my rankings for DVR: 1)tie EMBY

& Channels 2) SDHDR 3) Plex

Did I mention developer interaction : Emby 10/10  Plex 4/10

adrianwi

The biggest reason for me is that emby allows me to manage my server and what connects to it without any interference, and all clients can connect directly rather than through any emby services.  The fact that the support here is much better is just a bonus :D

• Like 2

arztonyou

Many years ago I kept bouncing around between Mediabrowser, XBMC, and Plex because I liked certain things about each of them.  I eventually settled on Plex for awhile because of the server/client model, but was never completely happy with it.  Once MB became Emby and went to the server/client model, what drew me back to Emby from Plex was the ease with which you could correct misidentified media, change images, and edit metadata.  That was always such a hassle with Plex (back then anyway, no idea what it's like now). 

What made sure I would never go back to Plex was the smooth integration with Kodi via the Emby for Kodi addon, the Auto-Organize feature of the server, and the support from the developers.

• Like 2

WilhelmStroker

The abysmal state of the Plex universal Windows app that's been broken for months without anyone from Plex acknowledging it and the amazing developer support here.

SHSPVR

Let see for starter a grid view TV Guide, Individual User Account, Analog Capture support with 3rd party plug-in, Emby Themes, Proper Media Library's support

Edited by SHSPVR

For it was initially the metadata editor and the general ease of use.

The support is also amazing!

One thing i really DON'T miss from Plex is the long winded, rambling, "look at me and my dog" blog entries...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by MndWrp
  • Like 1

Live TV - better guide, TVHeadend plugin, accessible by all users.

I have two lifetime Plex passes and I'm making the switch.

• Like 1

On plex hevc playback was always transcoding for me even though my devices support hevc. with emby playing hevc is perfect for me.

• Like 1

TylerV76

The guide, no issue with deinterlacing, much better ui and the support.

The only thing I miss from plex is the movie trailers on Fire TV devices. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Arkieboy72472

I did it out of necessity because PLEX started breaking with the new updates. Emby is easy to use and just works. I have an occasional issue, but so far I prefer it.

KMBanana

Connect directly to my machine rather than another service.

Being able to create individual users with their own logins, watch history, and library access for free.  

PuffyToesToo

I much prefer the UI, the ability to customize my images and not having to be registered or signed in to a central userbase (like Plex). I like being able to create multiple user accounts and define their permissions. 

hstamas

First and foremost the support from the Devs and community! Secondly the excellent Kodi integration was what finally got be to drop Plex completely.

• 4 months later...
jodumont

I still comparing plex vs emby

I found two good sources about this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/73j1xw/comparing_plex_with_emby/

which have great point for emby

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/forget-plex-kodi-try-emby/

which finally when you read the article say plex is better if you use emby with kodi

but if you just want to stream on different device plex is better and no cost in that case

At the end, maybe I still need to discover the feature but the biggest pain in my ass with emby it is only scan my media once a day while plex do it every 1hour by default.

abescalamis

I still comparing plex vs emby

I found two good sources about this :

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/73j1xw/comparing_plex_with_emby/

which have great point for emby

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/forget-plex-kodi-try-emby/

which finally when you read the article say plex is better if you use emby with kodi

but if you just want to stream on different device plex is better and no cost in that case

At the end, maybe I still need to discover the feature but the biggest pain in my ass with emby it is only scan my media once a day while plex do it every 1hour by default.

I read those articles, but what program is better is up to you, When I read those I thought that Plex was better and was my first to try, then I tried Emby and Liked it more and think its better. I didn't like the Plex clients on android the Lay out is horrible, that was where Emby won for me.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Quote :  At the end, maybe I still need to discover the feature but the biggest pain in my ass with emby it is only scan my media once a day while plex do it every 1hour by default.

As far as I know, emby monitors libraries all the time and should pick up new stuff in a minute or two, also you can I think trigger a task it you click on the Clock icon under scheduled tasks...

5b05f6833ccd4_EmbyScheduleaTask1.jpg

leads to...

5b05f69660749_EmbyScheduleaTask2.jpg

• Like 1

abescalamis

Quote :  At the end, maybe I still need to discover the feature but the biggest pain in my ass with emby it is only scan my media once a day while plex do it every 1hour by default.

As far as I know, emby monitors libraries all the time and should pick up new stuff in a minute or two, also you can I think trigger a task it you click on the Clock icon under scheduled tasks...

5b05f6833ccd4_EmbyScheduleaTask1.jpg

leads to...

5b05f69660749_EmbyScheduleaTask2.jpg

Maybe you already know this, in the Library settings there is an option "enable real time monitoring", if this is selected when you add a movie it will automatically added to your library without doing a library scan, This is even better than doing a scan every hour because the scans tend to slow down the server a little.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Maybe you already know this, in the Library settings there is an option "enable real time monitoring", if this is selected when you add a movie it will automatically added to your library without doing a library scan, This is even better than doing a scan every hour because the scans tend to slow down the server a little.

This is dependent on your OS supporting this feature.