High CPU utilization when fetching metadata

gene0915

gene0915

Using Emby Server v3.2.40.0

Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

16 gigs of RAM

Intel i7 7700K CPU

I added about 1,300 movies and hundreds of TV shows to Emby and told it to fetch metadata. It SLOWLY started to populate things and CPU usage was normal so I turned the monitor off and turned my attention to other things.

I came back a while later and turned on the TV to watch a movie and playback was incredibly slow (Apple TV 4). I logged into my Linux box and noticed that all 4 cores/8 threads were at 100% CPU usage. I let it sit there like that for about 15 more minutes and it didn't look like any new metadata was being grabbed.

I think some CPU usage is normal for fetching all that metadata but to run my CPU at 100% and really not do anything....seems kinda weird.

I grabbed all the logs and will try attaching them to this post.

emby logs.tar.gz

Edited by gene0915

Hi, there's a whole folder of log files here. Which one is from the time frame in which you experienced the problem? Thanks.

gene0915

Hi, there's a whole folder of log files here. Which one is from the time frame in which you experienced the problem? Thanks.

Whoops...sorry about not including that bit of info.

I grabbed the logs while the problem was going on so whatever is the latest time stamp. As soon as I zipped them up, I shut down Emby. Hope that helps. :(

gene0915

Also these log files are all dated from two weeks ago. 

When the problem appeared, I grabbed the logs and made a mental note to post them right then and there but life got in the way and then Christmas......then more life.....the kids busting my chops to spend time with them. Nagging wife..........etc., etc.

gene0915

Ok, I would try updating to the latest version of emby server and see if the issue persists. Thanks.

I guess Linux doesn't have an auto-update feature so just follow this guide: https://emby.media/linux-server.html to update my server version?

Or, #7 from this post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21711-how-do-i-upgrade-the-server-on-ubuntu/ ?