MPV Smoothmotion

mark235

Guest asrequested

That explains why I couldn't get it to work. I bitstream everything... expect music.

Edited by Doofus

That's really a question for mpv. If you want to play with various params using mpv standalone or mpv.conf that would be helpful. Thanks.

Guest asrequested

You actually want to set Oversample as the "Temporal Axis" scaling method.  Putting it in Default scaling method is using it as the scaler for changing the size of the video (such as 720 -> 1080).

Temporal Axis is your time-based scaling to change framerate (display 24hz video on 60hz display).

Yes, you also have to have "interpolation" setting enabled in order to turn on Temporal scaling.

And it looks like there are varying options for smoothness and sharpness

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-tscale

5a5a6fa6ca8d8_Snapshot_395.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That's really a question for mpv. If you want to play with various params using mpv standalone or mpv.conf that would be helpful. Thanks.

Struggling with making my own MPV build here, this stuff is a bit outside my comfort zone. 

If somebody has a recent build available with an mpv.conf file included that I can change, that would help a lot. 

The Compilation instructions on this page assume some familiarity with application building, but I don't have any.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv#compilation

The mpv build system uses waf, but we don't store it in the repository. The ./bootstrap.py script will download the latest version of waf that was tested with the build system.

I'm already lost on what the first step is, let alone how to include the required dependencies mentioned further down in the paragraph

Guest asrequested

Compiling your own mpv is pretty much for developers. I don't know how to do it. I actually have very smooth playback. Are you still having issues?

No, Smooth Motion is not present when Audio Passthrough is enabled.

I do get a different result now when Audio Passthrough is disabled. In my previous test, I still got PCM audio on my receiver. But I just tested again, and now I don't get any audio at all anymore. But Smooth Motion is very much present. 

daedalus

No, Smooth Motion is not present when Audio Passthrough is enabled.

I do get a different result now when Audio Passthrough is disabled. In my previous test, I still got PCM audio on my receiver. But I just tested again, and now I don't get any audio at all anymore. But Smooth Motion is very much present. 

don't forget to try to only set your options in your mpv.conf and leave the corresponding settings in the UI unticked or on 'auto'

the way ET passes options to mpv often overwrites the ones in the mpv.conf

and maybe try to update mpv to v0.28 from 2017-12-25, the release version of ET still comes with the old v0.27 from 2017-09-13

Edited by daedalus

daedalus
display-sync-active
    Return whether --video-sync=display is actually active.

thats no option thats a property that shows what video-sync is active

2 MPV logs attached. The only difference in MB Theater settings is whether Audio Passthrough is enabled or not.

log 1: Audio Passthrough worked, but no smoothmotion 

log 2: no audio, but smoothmotion worked

In both tests, all Video settings in MB Theater were set to auto or unticked, and the settings below were added to the .conf file:

video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
=yes

tscale=oversample

Also, this change to main.js is active on my system: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50181-stutter-issue-with-software-cause/?p=483016

I didn't update MPV yet to the newest version. Is this done by replacing the "C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\Mpv" folder with the newest release? If yes, which download should I use? There are multiple on the MPV website, not sure which to grab.

1.theatermpvlog_Audio_passth_enabled.txt

2.theatermpvlog_Audio_Passth_disabled.txt

daedalus

I didn't update MPV yet to the newest version. Is this done by replacing the "C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\Mpv" folder with the newest release? If yes, which download should I use? There are multiple on the MPV website, not sure which to grab.

yes, simply extract the corresponding (x64/x86) build from here https://mpv.srsfckn.biz/ to your ET mpv folder, that are the builds used in ET

Edited by daedalus

Updated to latest MPV build and the result with Audio Passthrough disabled is different: very heavy video stutter. Audio is still not present. Result with Audio Passthrough enabled is the same as previous test.