ReadyNAS NV+ v2 (RAIDiator 5.3.11)

xbmcgotham

xbmcgotham

Hi,

Is there any possibility of installing the Emby server on a ReadyNAS NV+ v2 with RAIDiator 5.3.11 firmware?

Did anyone yet give it a try?

Thanks

xbmcgotham

Hi, does our current install package not work for it?

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I thought it would only officially work for firmware 6 and up. Or am I mixing up numbers.

Is there an easy step by step walk through on how to install it manually as the easy install from zip option gives the following error:

5a3d3db7b18d9_ScreenShot20171222at171422

xbmcgotham

Ok so that's an older device, I don't think it will work right now, sorry.

Pitty, Is their anyway to try installing it manually? Any manual that can explain easily how to install on a readynas? Not very familiar with this kind of installation.

Any chance we could make it work also on this device. Cant be to much of a difference between R5 and R6. If it works, I will buy the lifetime license. :-)

We don't have any supported install for this device at the moment. It is a possibility for the future, thanks.

xbmcgotham

We don't have any supported install for this device at the moment. It is a possibility for the future, thanks.

Any time line estimate?

I can't offer that, sorry. We haven't even looked at this firmware version. The server is built around the microsoft .net core runtime so a lot depends on what that supports as well. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
JBDragon

Hi,

Is there any possibility of installing the Emby server on a ReadyNAS NV+ v2 with RAIDiator 5.3.11 firmware?

Did anyone yet give it a try?

Thanks

I used to have one of those a few years ago.  It's getting pretty old at this point.  These things came out in late 2011 I believe.   So it's 6+ years old.   It's an ARM powered device. It was never very fast at anything.  It wasn't even remotely speedy over my Gigabit Network.  I tried running PLEX on it back when long ago when I had mine.  It just didn't work very good at all.   Back then my Windows PC was always running anyway 24/7 for Media Center Recording from an Antenna.  Before support was completely dropped with Windows 10 and so I moved to a Tivo setup.  So I had PLEX running on my Windows computer and then all my Video content on that NAS.   That worked just fine for the most part.   Again it has network limitations.  I could only see speeds of about 20mbps.    I'm so much faster with my Upgraded ReadyNAS 516.  Which I do run PLEX and EMBY on.

There's Pro's and Con's with each and I just can't pick one right now.  I've been a long time Lifetime PLEX user and I'm Lifetime with EMBY also.    Both are great and so I'm supporting both.

When you have a slow NAS, generally they run PLEX or EMBY on something else with real power.  For example a Mac Mini, it's small, low power has an Intel processor and can handle some Transcoding,  depending on which one you get.  You buy USED on ebay or something.   Or you build a little Mini PC.  These Apps now support GPU's, so looking at a GPU that is compatible to help take the load off and not need such a higher end CPU could be a way to go.

There's not an ARM version of EMBY yet. Not that I know of for the ReadyNAS.   If there was, it would have to be a more modern ARM NAS.  Even then it would be Direct Play only.    I have a QNAP Arm NAS also. Got it USED from ebay last year.   I use this to backup my main NAS.  When you get up to 13TB or so, backing up to another NAS is really the only practical way to do it.  It powers up late night 2 days a week on its own, ready for my other NAS to backup anything new. Then it powers down on its own in the morning.  I use rsync which both support and is a backup standard.  A NAS is NOT a backup device.  You need your files at more than 1 location.

My QNAP can stream Video directly using the QNAP app onto my iPad, and then I can AirPlay that onto my AppleTV.  If it's Android for you, then it's basically the same, but sending to a Chromecast.   I do think you could have better luck with trying to stream directly from the NAS.  For example, you can use VLC on the Apple TV.  This is the same player you can get on your Windows PC that plays all different kinds of Video files. So you should be able to use that and direct yourself to your NAS and then Directly play your Movies that way, without actually using a SERVER like you do with EMBY and PLEX.  The Interface, of course, is pretty basic though.   A really good one is called INFUSE.  It looks and works more like EMBY/PLEX does in the looks department.  But again you don't run a server.  This just runs on the AppleTV 4+ and you link it to your NAS and the directory's you want to give it access to.  It does work pretty nice.  

So I'm just kind of giving you some different options.  If Android is your platform, I'm sure there's simular type of options also.  I'd assume VLC would also be on that platform also as it's everywhere and well known.  

That NAS was really slow when it was NEW.  It's not supported any longer.  You can run the nicer/better ReadyNAS OS on it. Which is at 6.9.1 right now.    It was a good starter NAS for me back then.   Then I got my ReadyNAS USED from an Amazon 3rd party seller for half the price of a new one.  Then a year later I was able to upgrade the CPU to that of the 716, and the Memory to that of the 716, from 4 gig's to 16 gig's.   Wasn't too hard to do, and even had a ReadyNAS tech who moderates the forums upgrade the Firmware to the newest version which would allow me to do VPM's on it.  Run Virtual Private machines on it.  I haven't really tried that yet.  So it's now like a 716, minus the 10 Gigabit ports which I could care less about.  The same 4 WD RED 3TB drives I had in that old ReadyNAS NV+ v2 are still in my newer 516 NAS.  Which also uses a more modern File system.  Not EXT3 I think that ReadyNAS uses, but instead is using Btrfs. It's 6 bays and so I have 2 Seagate 3TB NAS drives in it also.

So your Options are

#1 Wait for a ARM version of EMBY that will work on the ReadyNAS.   Not a good option at all!!! Newer versions of PLEX no longer will run on it at all anymore.  When it did, it was snail slow.  

#2 Buy a much better Higher end NAS.  Preferably one with an Intel Processor.  These are normally buisness Class, not home ARM class.  So a lot more money.

#3 Use your NAS for storage of your files ONLY and then use another computer to run the server on.  This is not a bad option.

#4 Play Directly from the NAS with software that doesn't require a server.   This can be hit or miss.  No on the fly transcoding.  Direct Play ONLY I think.  

#5 Built your own custom NAS, there's another of OS NAS options you can use going that route!!!

Just trying VLC is at least a free option to try and see if that'll work for your needs.

I'd take a look at this:  https://support.plex.tv/articles/200375666-plex-media-server-requirements/ 

and https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

I'm going to assume that system requirements with PLEX and EMBY are similar.   There's Pro's and Con's with both.   It's what works best for your own needs.  There's a lot to like about EMBY these days.   Again, they both are now supporting GPU's to help do transcoding which you're not going to normally find in a NAS.  That can change some system requirements.

So a lot to think about.  But don't waste your time waiting around for a version of EMBY or even PLEX now for that NAS.  It's a big disappointment.  This much newer 4 bay QNAP NAS I got on ebay for $200.  It's not a bad NAS at all.  What little I've tried direct streaming from it.  because most of the time it's off, so I've tried it while it's on for backup and it streamed to my iPad just fine.  I assume it would have to do some kind of transcoding?!?!  Because it's playing on the iPad?!?!   Mine is a TS-431.  I see EMBY supports QNAP.  I haven't tried running in on that NAS, as once again I'm using mine for BACKUP.   So it's off 99% of the time.   If you know what you're looking for, you can find some good deals going used.   My QNAP looked brand new.  Came in it's Orignal Box.     Good luck.

• 2 months later...
justdrooit

"#3 Use your NAS for storage of your files ONLY and then use another computer to run the server on.  This is not a bad option."

Yeah I have 2 of these devices, each filled with 3TB Toshiba drives. Now performance does tend to suffer a bit the closer you get to the 8-10% remaining mark, but if you can keep more than that remaining, you can maintain about a 27MB/sec transfer rate. I think the earliest of these units could have upgradable DDR2 memory on them. By the time I caught on to them (late 2012) the ones I bought didn't have that. They only have 512MB each if memory serves which was a big part of the slow transfer speed performance. If you can upgrade the RAM, you can get better performance.

These devices gained a reprieve in my setup from being replaced with something else when x265 became popular. That knocked the bit-rate transfer required down to roughly half what x264 needs.

I also bought a 4-drive Drobo with USB 3.0 connectivity a couple black fridays back (for $199) which may eventually replace these units. While Drobos aren't exactly known for speed, they'll manage/maintain 3x the transfer rate these ReadyNAS units can manage. (And you can upgrade them at least as easily)

Edited by justdrooit