Audio HD decoding

minitoine

minitoine

Hi guys,

I read a lot of topics about this, but didn't found a response explicitly. (Even if i get one by testing at home).

I have a LG TV with all audio decoders except True HD.

When I play a file containing one of supported codec on my Nvidia Shield TV, passthrough is ok, and direct play is ok, bla bla bla.

But, as my TV can't support True HD, when faced to it, i thought that as passthrough is not available, the player itself would decode True HD to PCM to TV.

Currently, Emby for Android TV uses ExoPlay 2.XX which supports audio HD decoding thanks to ffmpeg. 

But is that support is only for Passthrough ? or also for decoding ?

I don't understand (even if I understand) why my server is transcoding passthrough if the ExoPlayer of the Shield TV can do it on its own. 

Please light me on !

minitoine

We do not currently support player decoding of those codecs (may in the future) but the server can do it very easily without much load.

minitoine

Thanks for the confirmation.

But, question : why are you not supporting this if the version of ffmpeg in the ExoPlayer you are embedding in you app supports it in an easy way ? (more a dev question) The support is native (??), i don't understand.

Is it difficult (or time-needed not spent) to adapt your code to use full capabilities of the embedded Android player ? 

Thx in advance :)

Edited by minitoine

FFmpeg is not embedded in ExoPlayer.  It is offered as an extension but must be sourced and compiled separately and there are licensing considerations to take into account.