roku media player folder issue

teddybeardj

teddybeardj

I am having a weird thing happen in the Roku media Player.  I like to view videos/folders because I know what I want to watch and am trying to go to the folder it's in.  When I pull up the folder, things in other folders appear, sometimes in a jumbled order.  For instance, I want to watch the tv show, law and order.  So I go to the law and order folder.  I am presented with a list of folders that have seasons.  I choose season 5.  When it loads season 5 episodes, it has files for Cheers, Back to the Future 1 or other shows, but Law and Order is nowhere on the list. 

Any idea's why it's showing objects in other folders?  It's very frustrating to try to weave through the wrong shows to sometimes find nothing on the show I am looking for in that show's folder. 

Thanks..

Happy2Play

Can you show your folder structure?  Sounds like a nested library issue.

teddybeardj

Thanks guys.  Lets see... Folder Structure.  These files come off a Seagate NAS device.  The folder structure is from Public/Cloud TV Shows/Name of TV Show/Season #/Name of episode.MP4

I'm not sure if thats what your asking for, but it's a standard structure.  Roku Media Player should only be reading what is in that particular folder and listing them as such.  It's reading folders outside of the Name of TV Show layer folder... 

This is not using our app?  Not sure what you mean..it's the Roku Media Player...

Roku media player is using DLNA.  not sure on that either, is there a way to verify that and if it shouldn't use DLNA, what is the alternative?

Thanks guys.  Lets see... Folder Structure.  These files come off a Seagate NAS device.  The folder structure is from Public/Cloud TV Shows/Name of TV Show/Season #/Name of episode.MP4

Does "Name of episode" include the episode number as outlined in our supported naming conventions?

what is the alternative?

Install our official channel from the Roku channel store.

teddybeardj

Does "Name of episode" include the episode number as outlined in our supported naming conventions?

I see what your saying.  I forgot that part.  Yes, it would look like this...

Public/Cloud TV Shows/Name of TV Show/Season #/Cheers S1 E4 Sam hits on a woman.mp4   Something like that.  They could all be Sam hits on a woman, but thats a different story. 

The main problem is, in the Season # are files that have nothing to do with what the folder should contain..

Install our official channel from the Roku channel store.

Why not just use the emby app?

I look into that after you said it.  The reason is that it requires you to install a program on a "Host Computer."  Then Roku will see that and serve the files.

The major downfalls to that are, everything goes through the host computer and only works if the computer is running, logged into the person who is holding the stuff and the program has to keep running.  The moment my daughter logs me off and logs herself on, Emby program stops running and Roku no longer sees it.  It also degrades the computer processing and the more computer programs running, it degrades roku's ability to serve the video file.

Roku media player calls directly from a network attached storage and as long as there is plenty of internal bandwidth for the router to take all the loads, it plays smoothly whether the computer is running or even turned off, as computers need to be from time to time. 

So Emby is a bad idea completely.  In fact, since there is such a program anyway, how did the Roku Media Player issue get included in this forum in the first place??