Plex introduces native commercial removal!

ucjb

dcrdev

Wonder how well it works?

I tried comskip a while ago and had very mixed results due to there being a lack of profiles available for the UK. I wonder whether this will have built in profiles, or if you will be required to tune it yourself.

iamspartacus

I will test this shortly and 

Wonder how well it works?

I tried comskip a while ago and had very mixed results due to there being a lack of profiles available for the UK. I wonder whether this will have built in profiles, or if you will be required to tune it yourself.

I will test this soon and report back.

• Like 2

Spaceboy

i had comskip profiles that worked with dvrmstoolbox and they were 95% successful for uk tv. i have to say i'm not convinced that commercial skipping functionality is worth the effort though. unless its running concurrently with the program being recorded (which with dvrmstoolbox it was) its pointless. We'd be finished watching the recently recorded program before the scanning has finished

Edited by Spaceboy

dcrdev

i had comskip profiles that worked with dvrmstoolbox and they were 95% successful for uk tv

Where did you get them from?

When I tried it, the only UK profiles I could find were on the comskip forums and they worked mostly for BBC channels, ITV but didn't really work for any of the 4 owned channels (c4, e4, film4) .

Spaceboy

i was a premium comskip contributor but not sure whether they came through that or what? think i still have them somewhere....

CBers

Where did you get them from?

When I tried it, the only UK profiles I could find were on the comskip forums and they worked mostly for BBC channels, ITV but didn't really work for any of the 4 owned channels (c4, e4, film4) .

I didn't know that the BBC had started having adverts :)

dcrdev

Well not product advertisements per se, but you know those trailers between shows; oh and the news too - that new Doctor Who's depressing enough without knowing what's going on in the world lol.

Edited by dcrdev
  • Like 3

iamspartacus

I just tested two recordings and the commercial removal worked perfectly on those two.  I will continue to monitor this going forward.

• Like 1

dcrdev

I just tested two recordings and the commercial removal worked perfectly on those two.  I will continue to monitor this going forward.

Did it just work? or was there come configuration involved? 

iamspartacus

Did it just work? or was there come configuration involved? 

No configuration needed other than checking off the "Remove Commercials" option either in the global DVR settings or for the specific recording.  It took an extra 5 minutes or so to scan the file and remove the commercials as compared to a standard recording.

Edited by iamspartacus

If i remember correctly shottothedome ? or shottothehead ( i forget the authors name honestly ) but there was a post on here with a script that converted recordings and removed commercials 

NM just realized this is the windows forum, wont do you guys much good.

but if you run linux this might be worth looking at.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50566-emby-post-processing-dvr-script-for-linux/?view=findpost&p=483699

Edited by tdiguy

BAlGaInTl

It's definitely a feature I wouldn't mind seeing in Emby as well.

I'm not willing to go back to Plex to "test" it though.

:)

• Like 2

legallink

This is scary water.  I'm a little surprised that Plex came out with this.  I would assume that they are going to be sued and it wouldn't surprise me if it happens quickly.  I would assume they are too big for the media companies to not find out and to let this fly.  This has been a very contentious issue over the years and my guess is this won't end well for Plex.  Look at the litigation that went down with Vidangel, and they weren't even modifying the media, they were just skipping and muting portions.

Jdiesel

This is scary water.  I'm a little surprised that Plex came out with this.  I would assume that they are going to be sued and it wouldn't surprise me if it happens quickly.  I would assume they are too big for the media companies to not find out and to let this fly.  This has been a very contentious issue over the years and my guess is this won't end well for Plex.  Look at the litigation that went down with Vidangel, and they weren't even modifying the media, they were just skipping and muting portions.

I don't live in the US but hasn't Tivo had a commercial skip option for years?

Jdiesel

On a side note with the increase in DVR usage TV networks in Canada have started displaying ads during the actual broadcast that cover up to 1/3 of the bottom screen. They seem to be getting bigger and more frequent over time.

arrbee99

On a side note with the increase in DVR usage TV networks in Canada have started displaying ads during the actual broadcast that cover up to 1/3 of the bottom screen. They seem to be getting bigger and more frequent over time.

And then then they wonder why NF is so popular.

legallink

I don't live in the US but hasn't Tivo had a commercial skip option for years?

I believe Tivo has had the commercial skip as a button you press or something like that.  It doesn't actually remove the commercial from the media.  In the world of IP, that is a BIG difference.

Jdiesel

And then then they wonder why NF is so popular.

Examples from I recall from last night

5a1c8dd979de9_ex1.png

5a1c8df33f22d_ex2.png

arrbee99

Impressive. Am surprised TV stations have any metaphorical feet left, they seem to shoot themselves there often enough.

Not sure what we have in NZ. Seem to have coordinated ad breaks so every channel has ads on at the same time so you can't avoid them by looking somewhere else and you can't accidentally come across another program that looks interesting. They also tend to not put ads between programs anymore so they can stuff more in during the program. Don't think they've put ads on during a program yet but do sometimes get an aggravatingly wide strip down the right hand side with whats coming up, followed by, and whats after that, just to entice you to continue watching their awesome line up in a way that doesn't annoy at all. sorry, what was this thread about again...

• Like 1

Impressive. Am surprised TV stations have any metaphorical feet left, they seem to shoot themselves there often enough.

Not sure what we have in NZ. Seem to have coordinated ad breaks so every channel has ads on at the same time so you can't avoid them by looking somewhere else and you can't accidentally come across another program that looks interesting. They also tend to not put ads between programs anymore so they can stuff more in during the program. Don't think they've put ads on during a program yet but do sometimes get an aggravatingly wide strip down the right hand side with whats coming up, followed by, and whats after that, just to entice you to continue watching their awesome line up in a way that doesn't annoy at all. sorry, what was this thread about again...

That happens a lot in the USA it seems they all go to ads at the same time, channel surfing during a break is just surfing from one add to another.

We also have those stupid banners at the bottom but normally only for programming. 

Exactly how do you expect them to pay the expenses (and people) required to produce and deliver that content to you?