Subtitle background

djonnie

djonnie

Hi,

I upgraded my Emby Server on Windows to the latest version. Everything works great, except that my custom css for the (dark) subtitle background is not longer working.

In earlier versions this did the trick:

::cue {background-color: rgba(0,0,0,.8) !important}

Although it's possible to add some shadow to the subitle fonts (great new feature), it's still very difficult to read on my screen.

Does someone know a trick on the new Emby Server version? (Hope it will be added to the product as an official feature soon.)

I tried:

video::-webkit-media-text-track-container { background: #000; }

video::-moz-media-text-track-container { background: #000; }

but unfortanutely this did not work. (I don't know anything about css, so probably I'm doing wrong here.)

Your help is much appreciated!

Djonnie

djonnie

Solved it quick and dirty by editing subtitleappearancehelper.html:

var background=settings.textBackground||"black";background&&list.push({name:"background-color",value:"black"});

• 2 years later...
Legsmaniac

I realise this is a very old thread but I was hoping to do this "quick and dirty fix" but sadly, subtitleappearancehelper.html no longer exists.

No doubt Emby has updated several times since this post and I'm using the latest Emby.

Is this fix still possible?

And if so, which file or files to edit please?

Any help would be gratefully received.  I'd really like the black/grey subtitle background similar to TV and Netflix and others.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

I realise this is a very old thread but I was hoping to do this "quick and dirty fix" but sadly, subtitleappearancehelper.html no longer exists.

No doubt Emby has updated several times since this post and I'm using the latest Emby.

Is this fix still possible?

And if so, which file or files to edit please?

Any help would be gratefully received.  I'd really like the black/grey subtitle background similar to TV and Netflix and others.

Thanks.

Take a look at the \Emby-Server\system\dashboard-ui\bower_components\emby-webcomponents\subtitlesettings\subtitleappearancehelper.js..

Note the file gets replaced with every update.

Edited by Happy2Play

Legsmaniac

I did find and look into that file.  I saw the background:"transparent" wording and changed transparent to black but nothing changed.

Not that I really have any idea what I'm doing with js files.

Did I change the wrong thing?

Also - does it alter every subtitle no matter how it's encoded?

I mean, some have .srt files attached and some are hard coded in the mkv video files themselves.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

All I did was add value:"black" to name:"background-color", the cleared by browser cache.

list.push({name:"background-color",value:"black"});

5e24d6fbd7e49_backdrop.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

Legsmaniac

Ah, OK, thanks for that.  Clearing browser cache did the trick BUT........

Only for playing videos on my PC on which the server is running on?

It still makes no difference to the subtitles when watching videos via the app on either my Smartphone or my Fire TV stick.

Should it?  Or isn't it possible?  I tried clearing the app cache but no change.