WD TV Live - EAC3

NattyMan0007

NattyMan0007

Hi all,

I just switched from Plex to Emby just to give it a go. I have a WD TV Live that I'm using in the lounge however EAC3 audio isn't supported by WD and I can't for the life of me get Emby to automatically transcode it like Plex does.

Here is a screenshot of the media info: https://imgur.com/fJXyJx4

Thanks in advance

Nathaniel

Edited by NattyMan0007

NattyMan0007

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server and ffmpeg log from the playback attempt? you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks !

Attached are the log files you requested.

ffmpeg-remux-395ec4b7-f916-4c29-86d5-fb4a97ef5c3e.txt

server-63645609600.txt

Edited by NattyMan0007

Happy2Play

Attached are the log files you requested.

According to your log Emby is converting the audio channel.  So the question is what is the issue?

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (eac3 (native) -> aac (native))

Note any issue should be a DLNA profile issue if any issue at all.

Edited by Happy2Play

NattyMan0007

According to your log Emby is converting the audio channel.  So the question is what is the issue?

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (eac3 (native) -> aac (native))

Note any issue should be a DLNA profile issue if any issue at all.

If it's converting to aac that means the profile is correct. Which it is, I checked. Could Emby not be broadcasting the file codec properly after transcoding? WD just says it's an unsupported file type and doesn't let me play. It seems to load for a second when the transcoding starts.

Perhaps because it's 6 Channel and WD can only handle 2?

No idea. It is rather annoying but it's only EAC3 audio that it happens with, everything else works fine.

Happy2Play

If it's converting to aac that means the profile is correct. Which it is, I checked. Could Emby not be broadcasting the file codec properly after transcoding? WD just says it's an unsupported file type and doesn't let me play. It seems to load for a second when the transcoding starts.

Perhaps because it's 6 Channel and WD can only handle 2?

No idea. It is rather annoying but it's only EAC3 audio that it happens with, everything else works fine.

It is converting to 2 channel acc.

-codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ac 2 -ab 384000

So the question is are you having a issue with all files that are Transcoded/converted?

Edited by Happy2Play

NattyMan0007

So the question is are you having a issue with all files that are Transcoded/converted?

No it appears to just be when audio is downmixed.

NattyMan0007

I stand corrected. It does this for everything that is being transcoded. I just tried a HEVC file which ffmpeg transcodes to h264 in the browser but WD rejects it the same way.

Happy2Play

I stand corrected. It does this for everything that is being transcoded. I just tried a HEVC file which ffmpeg transcodes to h264 in the browser but WD rejects it the same way.

Looking at the manual it looks like ACC is not supported in .ts container.  (page 209) http://www.jstv.co.uk/joining/jstvi/manual/WDTV_Live_User%27s_manual_English.pdf

You could change Transcoding audio codec to AC3.  

Dashboard-DLNA-Profiles-select WD Live profile-In Name field change name to something custom so see proper custom profile is used in log-Hit Save-click Transcoding tab-Click Video Protocol and change ACC to AC3- Click ok then Save-Restart server and try to play file again.

@@Luke

Lookings like the change to acc was made awhile ago for other reasons, may have caused this issue.

Edited by Happy2Play

NattyMan0007

Looking at the manual it looks like ACC is not supported in .ts container.  (page 209) http://www.jstv.co.uk/joining/jstvi/manual/WDTV_Live_User%27s_manual_English.pdf

You could change Transcoding audio codec to AC3.  

Dashboard-DLNA-Profiles-select WD Live profile-In Name field change name to something custom so see proper custom profile is used in log-Hit Save-click Transcoding tab-Click Video Protocol and change ACC to AC3- Click ok then Save-Restart server and try to play file again.

@@Luke

Lookings like the change to acc was made awhile ago for other reasons, may have caused this issue.

That didn't change anything.

Happy2Play

Have you tried adding eac3 to the direct play mkv container?  The manual shows Dolby Digital Plus passthru to receiver (page 209) as a supported codec, but I suspect that depends on your setup.

NattyMan0007

Have you tried adding eac3 to the direct play mkv container?  The manual shows Dolby Digital Plus passthru to receiver (page 209) as a supported codec, but I suspect that depends on your setup.

That worked perfectly. Should I add it to any other containers?

Without having a WDTV to test with, I'm not sure why it doesn't like the transcoding. However based on your success with eac3, we can adjust the supplied wtdv profile to not transcode it.

Happy2Play

That worked perfectly. Should I add it to any other containers?

According to the manual, page 209, only mkv and ts containers support eac3.