Will Direct Playback of live tv ever come back?

pünktchen

Spaceboy

@@pünktchen, any info? thanks !

is there any reason why you can’t use the logs I attached here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49527-live-tv-with-subs-doesnt-play/page-2&do=findComment&comment=501983 . We were trying to look at subtitles but it’s all live tv so provides exactly what you are asking punktchen for. Edited by Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy, perfect, thank you. Would you mind doing one more thing just so that i can compare behavior between apps. Can you install emby theater for windows desktop and repeat the same procedure? thanks !

I can see here that your reasons for transcoding will possibly be different from @@pünktchen. This is transcoding due to interlaced video whereas unless I'm mistaken, @@pünktchen has a progressive source. So in his case, the reason for running through Emby Server is not yet clear and that's what we're hoping to find out.

pünktchen

I can see here that your reasons for transcoding will possibly be different from @@pünktchen. This is transcoding due to interlaced video whereas unless I'm mistaken, @@pünktchen has a progressive source. So in his case, the reason for running through Emby Server is not yet clear and that's what we're hoping to find out.

Some channels are progressive others are interlaced. Both get direct streamed through the server.

I wasn't at home and still have to wait for the misses to create some logs.

pünktchen

Okay @@Luke here are the logs.

I started playing a 1080i channel in the Android TV app on my Nvidia Shield. For just a second i saw the dashboard reporting "Direct Playing", then it switched to "Direct Streaming".

The ATV app only showed a black screen with a spinning circle and after maybe ten seconds it asked for playback correction. I confirmed and then the server started transcoding.

@@pünktchen, got it thanks. I wonder if it tried to direct play to the media portal url, encountered an error, then switched to direct stream and encountered an error again, and then finally switched to transcoding.

If it did indeed try to play directly to media portal then we won't be able to tell by looking at the server log. You will either have to submit an in-app log to @@ebr, or perhaps you might be able to find out by looking at media portal logging?

pünktchen

So I think punktchen and I are sure that our issues are identical, but I am happy to send some logs too

If you think the problem is only with the app but not with the server, then i have to agree.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on my question for pünktchen in post #38. He offered useful and detailed descriptions that helped us investigate so if you can do the same then we'll be happy to look into it. thanks.

Spaceboy

I'm still waiting on my question for pünktchen in post #38. He offered useful and detailed descriptions that helped us investigate so if you can do the same then we'll be happy to look into it. thanks.

can you confirm exactly what it is that you want please? post 38 just refers to an in app log. i've always been keen to assist with providing information to get this looked at.

• Like 1

h.buckle

I submitted an in-app log yesterday of failure to direct stream (from an HDHR) over in this thread

Someone mentioned in one of the threads about having a proper bug/issue tracker - that would be a lot easier than trying to track this stuff accross multiple forum threads

Spaceboy

I submitted an in-app log yesterday of failure to direct stream (from an HDHR) over in this thread

Someone mentioned in one of the threads about having a proper bug/issue tracker - that would be a lot easier than trying to track this stuff accross multiple forum threads

hi, I think this is probably a different issue as we are discussing external services here, specifically mediaportal.

Agree with your comments on a bug tracker though!