Make Backups save library info

Untoten

Untoten

It seems when I install a new system, I have to rescan libraries, even when I restore from backup.  This sometimes takes me up to a week due to the current memory issue.  It would be cool if backups backed up everything, since libraries are not changing.

• Like 1

Depending on the library you have, this could make the backup grow real big. 

I went the Veeam way...making a full system backup of my emby server VM...includes bare metal restore to different hardware and best of all...it is FREE :D

Untoten

Depending on the library you have, this could make the backup grow real big. 

I went the Veeam way...making a full system backup of my emby server VM...includes bare metal restore to different hardware and best of all...it is FREE :D

I don't use emby in a VM, screws with the hardware too much for my liking.  Not to mention, this only works in a very specific situation you have offered.  If I want to let's say, use windows 10 as a clean install and previously used windows 7, this has no use whatsoever.  This would not work for most people so it is not an acceptable solution at all.

And as woenk has said, this is much larger, overkill and it is much less efficient.

Edited by Untoten

isn't a full system backup even larger??? :)

Veeam Agent does a full backup once and after that just incrementals with synthetic full backups now an then, so in the long run it is smaller than making a full backup of the whole library every day.

Also works on Windows and Linux and not just VMs, so if your motherboard dies, you simply swap it out and reload the backup and its like nothing ever changed.

One can also do just folder backups and just save the changes.

I only recommend it because it is really easy to use and the free edition is all a typical user needs.

...and because I am a lazy sysadmin that had reinstalled emby more times that I  can count and ti allways took ages to rebuild the libraries :D

• Like 1