Dark overlay on videos - Halloween theme related?

Archmatux
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Archmatux

I'm having a bit of an odd issue that started along with the Halloween theme.

When I play any video it looks as if there is a dark overlay on top of the video, almost as if the brightness of the video was turned all the way down.

I've gone through the code and disabling the following appears to resolve the issue:

.backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {
    /* background-color: rgba(6,6,6,.9); */
}

.backgroundContainer, .dialog {
    /* background-color: #141414; */
}

Is this a known bug?

I'm currently on version  3.2.32.0 as it's the latest PBI available for FreeNAS.

Archmatux

Hi, it's resolved in 3.2.35, thanks.

Cheers Luke.

I've had issues before with the FreeNAS plugin being behind the main release.

Maybe it's time to move Emby to a Jail/VM so I can keep it up to date.  :)

TheMafia

Hi Luke

I updated the server from version 3.2.34 to 3.2.35 and now the Xbox has gone dark with that overlay. I tried to go back to 3.2.34 but that is still dark too now.

Is there any easy fix?

Thanks

homester

I, too, just updated the server to 3.2.35.  However, the Xbox One app remains dark.  In addition, I tried turning off Themes and manually selecting the "Light" theme, thinking that would resolve the issue.  Unfortunately, when I turn off Themes, either the Xbox app or perhaps the server turns Themes back on and I am back to the Halloween theme, when I did not select that one.

Therefore, two issues...

1) Xbox One app is still dark after an Emby server update.

2) I cannot turn off Themes for the profile I am using.  Something turns them back to "Automatic."

if there is a known issue with the theme then why keep the theme pushed to servers? I'd much rather have a working server than have a server that doesn't work with a stupid cool theme

EDIT: From another post by Luke an alternate solution is to "go to user display settings -> Uncheck the box to allow seasonal themes" although an admin cannot automatically apply this for all users, each user will have to do so manually.

Edited by quada

"go to user display settings -> Uncheck the box to allow seasonal themes."

not working under windows 10 app or Xbox one App. as it auto check the box on exit for both.

"allow seasonal themes" is not a box on my display settings. The only checkable boxes there are for "Enable theme songs" and "Display missing episodes within seasons"

"allow seasonal themes" is not a box on my display settings. The only checkable boxes there are for "Enable theme songs" and "Display missing episodes within seasons"

Make sure you've updated to the latest version of Emby Server. Thanks !

Make sure you've updated to the latest version of Emby Server. Thanks !

As I stated earlier, I am only running 3.2.32 as that's the lates FreeNAS version. Is there any other way to fix this?

Archmatux

As I stated earlier, I am only running 3.2.32 as that's the lates FreeNAS version. Is there any other way to fix this?

As a temporary measure I've installed the stylish extension for chrome and have blocked the elements in my first post.

Not ideal but will do the trick until i can update or the Halloween theme is over.

As a temporary measure I've installed the stylish extension for chrome and have blocked the elements in my first post.

Not ideal but will do the trick until i can update or the Halloween theme is over.

Could you paste in your stylish code to block it?

Archmatux

Could you paste in your stylish code to block it?

Sure.

Add the following code to a new userstyle:

.backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {
    background-color: rgba(6,6,6,0);
}

In the "applies to" section choose "URLs starting with" and put in your emby URL followed by: "/web/videoosd.html" for instance:

http://emby.mydomain.local:8096/web/videoosd.html

This will simply set the opacity of the overlay to zero and will only apply this to the video player.

What you can also do as a workaround is use the online web app:

http://app.emby.media

It will work with your server and it has newer settings to allow you to turn it off.

Nice! I wasn't even aware that was a feature!

Thanks all, this thread helped.  I ran into this problem from work using firefox on windows 10.  I patched my server to 3.2.35 from 3.2.32 and the dark video went away.  I will note that I do not see the option "allow seasonal themes" when in "Server Dashboard - Users - <user> - Edit this user's profile, image, and personal preferences".  

Thanks all, this thread helped.  I ran into this problem from work using firefox on windows 10.  I patched my server to 3.2.35 from 3.2.32 and the dark video went away.  I will note that I do not see the option "allow seasonal themes" when in "Server Dashboard - Users - - Edit this user's profile, image, and personal preferences".  

Themes are per app/device, so that's why you can't set it remotely from the server for a given user. You need to actually log in as that user.

• Like 1

goldsworthy1

Thanks Luke, the 171 update fixed the xbox problem.

Is there a way to make the theme music stop once you start playing something else?

At the moment it keeps playing over the top.