Emby running in a Jail accessing SMB shares on NAS4Free host

markofealing

markofealing

I'm in the process of moving my Emby Server from my Kubuntu PC to my NAS4Free(FreeBSD) PC as I wish to centrally store my media content and also centrally run Emby as all of my home media devices connect to Emby. I've added the Nas4Free server IP address into the Nas4Free servers /etc/hosts file so I don't have to specify the IP address in the share name.

I've installed Emby and FFMPEG in a NAS4Free Jail using TheBrig Jail manager the Emby installation instructions and I am now trying to configure Emby's media libraries but this is where I've hit a problem:

My files are stored on the NAS4Free server which hosts the Emby server and are accessible using Samba (SMB). The SMB shars are accessible for all users (Guest access is enabled) avoiding the need for a login. I've tested this on my Windows 10 PC and I can access the share and create a new folder within it without any issues. So share permissions seem okay.

However, when I try to add a folder to the Emby Library I get the following error

59f58aa6a08fd_2017102907_53_33Library.jp

Anyone got any suggestions?

Do I need to mount my NAS4Free shares within my jail via FSTAB to get this to work?

@@markofealing, yes you need to mount them locally. The mono runtime does not support windows unc shares, so you need to mount it to a local path first. 

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

markofealing

That makes sense, I guess I add them to /etc/fstab although as NAS4Free uses FreeBSD getting this to work might be an interesting exercise! Being Unix I believe it is slightly different to Linux which is what I'm more used to using.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this in NAS4Free? If not I'll pop a question on the NAS4free forums.

• 2 weeks later...
markofealing

NAS4Free https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAS4Free is a forked version of FreeNAS 7.

The reason for running it under FreeNAS and not pure BSD is because the same server is also my NAS server and therefore provides multiple roles. I had considered changing to OpenMediaVault https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenMediaVault which also runs Emby and is anther fork of FreeNAS.

Once I've got Emby working on NAS4Free, I'll publish the installation instructions in my blog in case others wish to follow my approach.

• 9 months later...

hello all

I am running nas4free ver 11.2 and all is working fine. As a media player I use Kodi 17.6. I currently have 4 PC running Kodi and I would like to sync all media on all pcs and I would like to be able start a movie in one room and finish watching it in an other room. for example I would start a movie in the media room and finish watching it in my bedroom.. I installed the brig in a jail in nas4free and now i would like a step by step procedure to install emby within n4free and on kodi client. THnak you all for your help in advance  

WB

hello all

I am running nas4free ver 11.2 and all is working fine. As a media player I use Kodi 17.6. I currently have 4 PC running Kodi and I would like to sync all media on all pcs and I would like to be able start a movie in one room and finish watching it in an other room. for example I would start a movie in the media room and finish watching it in my bedroom.. I installed the brig in a jail in nas4free and now i would like a step by step procedure to install emby within n4free and on kodi client. THnak you all for your help in advance  

WB

Hi, you can use our general FreeBSD instructions from our website:

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Hi Luke

Thank you for your prompt reply

I tried the scripts from this link 

sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi

And I get

$ sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.txz: . done
Fetching packagesite.txz: .......... done
Processing entries: ...
Processing entries... done
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositorie

I am entering this in the command line of the N4F command section of their GUI and then press execute. I was under the impression i was supposed to use the brig to install emby server

what am i missing or am i drinking my brains for breakfast?

Thank you 

Unfortunately we haven't tested nas4free so I don't have an answer for you right now. I thought the regular freebsd package would just work but apparently not

Hi Luke 

When I enter the following in the command section of n4f and click execute i get the following 

$ sudo pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.txz: . done
Fetching packagesite.txz: .......... done
Processing entries: ...
Processing entries... done
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!

and when i enter 

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.6.0.32/emby-server-freebsd_3.6.0.32_amd64.txz

I get

$ pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.6.0.32/emby-server-freebsd_3.6.0.32_amd64.txz
Fetching emby-server-freebsd_3.6.0.32_amd64.txz: .......... done
Installing emby-server-3.6.0.32_1...

Failed to install the following 1 package(s): https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.6.0.32/emby-server-freebsd_3.6.0.32_amd64.txz

what am i doing incorrectly?

or what else do i need to configure. I was under the impression i was supposed to install this via the brig

Thank you for your help

Hi Luke

Pitty because you are missing a huge market penetration in my opinion I tried PLEX and In my opinion I would prefere the emby client to the one plex has

Thank you anyhow

We are working as fast as we can to support as many platforms as possible, but is nas4free really huge market penetration? I am not so sure about that. We get one or two people asking about it once in a while but that's about it.

Hello Luke 

As Kodi can be installed on Android tvs this is one market you should not miss. However between Synology, qnap buffalo and all others I have come to realise that non f these would / could compare to freenas and n4f. I do not see freenas keeping up with their development compared to n4f. In my opinion and open solution to be able to work on most unix flavors would bring cuddos to you all. 

just my 2 cents  

zmediaserver

That makes sense, I guess I add them to /etc/fstab although as NAS4Free uses FreeBSD getting this to work might be an interesting exercise! Being Unix I believe it is slightly different to Linux which is what I'm more used to using.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this in NAS4Free? If not I'll pop a question on the NAS4free forums.

@@markofealing, did you figure this out already? You can mount the folders you want access to using TheBrig's fstab editor. Edit the fstab specific to that jail - enter 'nullfs' for the file system, 'rw' for option and '0' for dumpfreq and fsck.

@@markofealing, did you figure this out already? You can mount the folders you want access to using TheBrig's fstab editor. Edit the fstab specific to that jail - enter 'nullfs' for the file system, 'rw' for option and '0' for dumpfreq and fsck.

Hello Marko Thank you for your reply. No I have not figured it out.yet.  The links above gave me some ideas, however as i am totally ignorant on how to use the brig I asked this community for a step by step process. For example i do not see where  " TheBrig's fstab editor. Edit the fstab specific to that jail - enter 'nullfs' for the file system, 'rw' for option and '0' for dumpfreq and fsck." is .. Where do i fing the fstab editor. In xigmanas>extentions>the brig, i do not see a fstab editor... Can you please guide me in this 

THnak you

• 2 weeks later...
zmediaserver

@@wbravin after you create your jail, it will appear in the list of jails toward the bottom of Extensions->TheBrig landing page. To the right of your jail you will see several icons, one looks like a piece of paper with a pencil (the universal symbol for edit) - if you hover your mouse over it it says "fstab editor" (I think, going by memory here), click it and you'll be taken to an entry page where you can input the options I previously mentioned.

zmediaserver

There is no official step by step process since nas4free (Xigmanas) is not officially supported. But, in a jail you're basically in the base FreeBSD system, so should be no problem installing and using Emby within a jail just like any other FreeBSD environment.

I wrote this a few months back, which might be helpful for you: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55962-how-do-you-install-emby-on-nas4free/&do=findComment&comment=556068

Edited by zmediaserver