Install Emby on Armbian (BananaPi)

jhschulz

jhschulz

Yesterday I installed Emby on a BananaPi with Armbian ("Debian server - mainline kernel"). I decided to do a direct install and not use a Docker image. I had to read through several forum threads to find all necessary information, so I thought it might be helpful to write down some "installation instructions" in case someone else wants to to the same.

• You have to use the Ubuntu 14.04 repos, not the Debian 8 repos!
  • I had to install "emby-server" and "embymagick". With only "apt-get install emby-server" I got an error that "embymagick" is missing.
  • embymagick requires "libjpeg8", but that's not available. But I found a forum post with a solution.

Do the following as root, or prefix the commands with "sudo".

First you have to get and install "libjpeg8":

wget ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libj/libjpeg8/libjpeg8_8d-1+deb7u1_armhf.deb
dpkg -i libjpeg8_8d-1+deb7u1_armhf.deb 

Now add the Emby Ubuntu 14.04 repo:

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list

Install Emby:

apt-get update
apt-get install emby-server embymagick

Install ffmpeg, if you don't have it already:

apt-get install ffmpeg

That's it. Now you can do the initial setup.

I don't know if everything will work, because I only use this server for music.

• 8 months later...
chessplayer

Hi,

first of all, thanks for your interesting project!

I would like to add that in order to be able to use the OpenSuse repo, you also have to do 

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 0A506F712A7D8A28

(possibly with sudo depending on the user you are working with). Also, libjpeg is now available directly in Armbian - no need for the package download anymore.

And this brings me to the question: in all of the Debian based repos to be found under http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/ (Debian x, xUbuntu y.z), xUbuntu14.04 is the only one providing versions of emby server for both armhf as well as aarch64. However, only version 3.3.1 is provided, so I will be asked to doenload the latest one. While I was able to do so for armhf on the Linux download pages, there is no download for aarch64 available. What is the reason for this? Where would I be able to obtain the latest version for aarch64 instead?

Background: I am experimenting with running Emby on a AMLOGIC TV Box with Armbian (I am using the xenial version), so I need such a package.

Cheers,

chessplayer

Hi, the newer packages on the website are based on .NET Core rather than Mono, and aarch64 has only recently become possible with .NET Core. We will be looking into building packages for it soon. Thanks !

chessplayer

Luke, thanks, that is good to hear. When I migrate, do I have to expect problems? My plan is to follow the instructions for manual migration from your wiki. I was on 3.4 before and now I will have to install 3.3.1 from OpenSuse. That seems to be the best I can do ...

chessplayer

Ok, so things did not work out as planned, but, since I only installed the previous emby server last week, it is not that bad. I am just re-running the scans. Unfortunately, the logs show a few connect errors (e.g. for obtaining the info on new versions ...). Also, I just had a random crash, where the service status gave me

Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]: 7fe88a0000-7fe88c1000 rwxp 00000000 00:00 0                              [stack]
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]: Native stacktrace:
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]:         /usr/bin/mono-sgen() [0x4a1b58]
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]: =================================================================
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]: Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]: a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]: used by your application.
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby emby-server[3427]: =================================================================
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jul 16 21:58:29 amlemby systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Restart went ok so far - I'll just keep watching and if it happens too often ... I will have to wait for you guys to provide a new version for aarch64. I guess there is really no sense in posting crash logs for an outdated version.

• 4 months later...