Judder on Frame Rate Switching

Sammy

Guest asrequested

E is only hybrid. F is the first to have dedicated decoding. If you can find a cheaper F, that would work. The ones I looked at, cost more.

Yeah, I'm wondering why the F series cost more than the H series..

Interesting. The one you linked above Used - Very Good (basically open box) from Amazon is just over $100 putting it at my preferred price point and it doesn't look like I'm really missing out on anything at all..

Edited by Sammy

One more thing before I order a card (or not and just live with what I have).. I don't have any content encoded in h.265 nor do I have a 4k display as I'm quite happy with my Panasonic VT60 Plasma and believe I will be for some time as our viewing distance is not close enough to get a difference out of 4k. Is there a compelling reason to specify h.265 and 4k or can frame rate switching be better done with a card that is even less than $100ish?

Thanks!

Guest asrequested

If you buy anything, I advise having be able to hardware decode HEVC. It isn't just for 4k. It's going to be used more and more. You'd be wise to look to the future, and not find yourself having to buy yet another device.

If you buy anything, I advise having be able to hardware decode HEVC. It isn't just for 4k. It's going to be used more and more. You'd be wise to look to the future, and not find yourself having to buy yet another device.

So mainly look for h.265 support as I'm not one to buy for the future but rather to upgrade when necessary. Every phone I get is last year's model when they're clearing them out as the new one comes out. My wife, OTOH, does not prescribe to this crazy notion and here iPhone X is on the way.. The shield looks to do what I need for not a whole lot more than a video card and would avoid having to change devices to use Netflix or Vudu. It costs about the same as a video card on eBay it would seem so what do you think? 

Guest asrequested

If it does what you want, that's all you need. A lot of these guys really like the shield. I have no experience with them. If you're going in that direction, take a look at the MiBox.

So what card will give h.265 decoding but not necessarily 4k at the sub $100 price point? Or is there even an HVEC decoding card that doesn't support 4k?

Maybe ~$120 shipped with tax is about the best I can hope for which is still cheaper than a shield.

Guest asrequested

I think the one I linked to is gonna be your only real choice. I looked at other brands with the same GPU, they were all about the same price. You should just bite bullet and get it. Enjoy your media, worry free :)

Lol. It sounds like you want a GPU. You're letting $20 be a struggle. It'll be worth it.

Yes it is pretty much. I'm still struggling with this issue although I haven't put much time into it it other than program alt tab into my Harmony Elite to bring ET / Electron back into focus.. Any thoughts? A shield makes this "go away" but not really as I'm just not using ET on my HTPC any longer..

Guest asrequested

It may be related to your GPU :D

I don't know, that's more than I can read, right now. My way is resolve the issues that I know I can, and re-examine what's left.

LOL.. Been re-examining that one for a while now but it is rude to come up on the screen like that. I'm sure it is some sort of scheduled task that isn't executing correctly but I don't know which one it is.. The work around is having alt tab programmed into my harmony remote but still..

It has been ordered and the GPU is on the way.

What are the recommended settings in mpv for this?

How about madVR if I were to try that again?

TIA

Guest asrequested

With that card, you could probably do most things. But I recommend that unless you really need a setting, just leave them at default. Put HWA to auto.

Did you check that windows 7 supports it? I assume it does, but that would be a good thing to confirm.

Operating System Support
  • Windows 10 32/64bit
  • Windows 8 32/64bit
  • Windows 7 32/64bit

Interesting as this is exactly opposite what it says right under the sync setting in ET.. I have had it off but figured with the new card it wouldn't be an issue. Guess it is.

Guest asrequested

I have an i7 7700k and I get dropped frames when I turn it on. It's only meant to be used to correct an existing issue. As they all are, really. Some guys live and die by them, but unless I need them, I forget they exist.

So this "Used - Like New" is new with just a little dent on the corner of the box but still wearing the shrink wrap. 8d162bdcf37ca44dce3c220d90ef85f2.jpgf810ff6933ed0477f61bf717e1da22e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk