Trakt Plugin watched status updated but not Emby server

MRobi

I started noticing this issue about a week back and figured my boxes were out of sync somehow. I would watch something downstairs in the living room, then later on upstairs it was still showing as unplayed. I generated new box ID's, updated all content, reset database, etc and it was still happening. Then I noticed the reverse was happening

Then I started looking to see if the episodes were showing played on the server, and they weren't. I started watching the server when I start playing episodes and when the episode is playing, it shows that device playing that episode on the server's main screen. So I started looking to see if Sonarr was downloading a higher quality file and something in that was causing it to revert back to an unwatched state on emby. The episodes this was happening with weren't being upgraded in quality.

Fast forward to last night, my wife was watching an old episode of Grey's anatomy. We then sat down and watched:

American Horror Story - S07E07

Chicago PD - S05E05

Black-Ish - S04E03

The Mick - S02E04

When we went upstairs later on, American Horror Story and Chicago PD were showing as unwatched, Black-Ish and The Mick were showing watched. When I started looking at the Recent Activity header, I noticed it showed nothing was played between Grey's Anatomy and Black-Ish which was odd because we watched 2 episodes in there. I've attached a screenshot of these. You can also see in between those 2 episodes, it doesn't make any indication of the device logging out or back in. It's as if nothing was happening at all in that time period.

Then I had another idea, check out Trakt. All 4 episodes were showed as watched on Trakt. I don't have Trakt setup through Kodi, so this says to me the Trakt plugin on the emby server got notice the episode was watched and completed and updated the watched status on Trakt.

I'm not sure if this is something on the Kodi plugin side, or the emby server side, but I figure since I'm using Kodi to play the episodes I'd start here. I've attached yesterday's log file.

Log.txt

post-53202-0-74656200-1508503625_thumb.png

post-53202-0-48659200-1508503633_thumb.png

Noticed the same issue come up last night. Watched Ghosted in the living room after completing The Good Doctor. Then watched The Big Bang Theory in the bedroom before starting Me, MYSELF & I.

Attached 2 screenshots from Recent Activity which show the time gap with no logouts/logins, and the 2 most recent log files.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?

post-53202-0-38228200-1508870526_thumb.png

post-53202-0-10319200-1508870533_thumb.png

Log1.txt

Log2.txt

Does this occur if you play something with the web app?

No clue. The only time I ever use the web app is if I'm traveling. At home I have Intel NUC's running LibreElec hooked to every TV and seems to happen at random. Don't really plan to start watching all my TV through my 12" laptop monitor to try to catch the issue, my wife would shoot me.

This happened again last night. 1 show in living room, 1 show in bedroom. Again between 10pm and midnight (2nd night in a row at this time) I noticed the library scan happened right in the middle of the 2 shows that are still showing as unwatched. Could be coincidence, but it's the only thing I saw happening in the background while these episodes played. 

I'm trying to change the task from every 12 hours to a set time so I can monitor, but I apparently can't edit or add new tasks. Must have a permission issue off somewhere that I need to dig into.

Sorry i was forgetting, there's another similar topic about this and there are some cases where the emby for kodi add-in is reporting a playback stop time of 0. @@Angelblue05 will have more info.

I don't recall where that other thread is but it's been reported.

Sorry i was forgetting, there's another similar topic about this and there are some cases where the emby for kodi add-in is reporting a playback stop time of 0. @@Angelblue05 will have more info.

Was that not the opposite effect though? In that case Emby was showing it as completed but trakt wasn't updating.

Here, trakt is showing watched but emby shows the episode as unwatched and as if it wasn't even started. I can't find it in the recent activity or the logs that I even started these episodes. 

I took a closer look, it was actually 3 episodes last night. 2 in the living room 1 in the bedroom. The library scan was only in the middle of the last 2 so definitely just coincidence.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51794-long-lasting-trakt-plug-in-issue/&do=findComment&comment=499046

Is that the thread you're referring to? I remembered it too because I posted in it lol

I am also having this issue over the last week. Its very random. Sometimes I watch 4 shows in kodi and they all get reported as played on the server, then another time only 1 of the 3. Tonight I watched 3 in a row and the first two were reported as played and the third was not.  I can see no rhyme or reason to the problem. Its not the same shows, sometimes I watch 2 episodes of the same show and only one is reported. 

I am using Kodi 17.4 on windows 10 with emby addon v2.3.55.

Before this my setup was very stable and consistent. I did have some issues with emby not reporting from the widgets at all when I first setup emby but that seemed to get resolved like 8 months ago. This seems to be a new issue 

Angelblue05

When this happens, does the server happen to restart after playback started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also having this issue over the last week. Its very random. Sometimes I watch 4 shows in kodi and they all get reported as played on the server, then another time only 1 of the 3. Tonight I watched 3 in a row and the first two were reported as played and the third was not.  I can see no rhyme or reason to the problem. Its not the same shows, sometimes I watch 2 episodes of the same show and only one is reported. 

I am using Kodi 17.4 on windows 10 with emby addon v2.3.55.

Before this my setup was very stable and consistent. I did have some issues with emby not reporting from the widgets at all when I first setup emby but that seemed to get resolved like 8 months ago. This seems to be a new issue 

Kodi 17.4 on LibreElec

Emby addon v2.3.55

Server is 3.2.32.0 on FreeNAS

No, the server is up the whole time, the devices are showing as logged in the entire time. No signs of restarts, log offs or log ins.

As I type this I'm watching Designated Survivor. I noticed in the Recent Activity section it did not say "Mike has started playing Designated Survivor" so I pressed stop, pressed play again and it instantly popped up in the Recent Activity section. This was literally 2 minutes apart.

Same for me no restarts or trakt syncing going on. 

My wife is home at mat. leave and is power watching Grey's Anatomy throughout the day while I'm at work. What I find weird is that it has not done it once to a single one of her episodes. But then we start having the problem every single evening.

Just had it happen again with an episode of Ink Master Angels. Noticed it was not on the recent activity list as I was playing. Skipped forward to the end. Kodi checked it off as watched, Emby did not. Restarted the episode and it came up on the list this time, skipped forward to the end again, Emby server showed it as watched. 

EDIT:

Observation here.... I was watching the server dashboard and noticed all of my Kodi devices said "Last seen 5 minutes ago". I tried starting an episode and it didn't register as playing. I tried stopping and starting the episode several times same thing. They all updated on the server dashboard at the same time to "Last seen a minute ago" so I started the episode again and it now showed it as playing.

Edited by IronRobi

I completely uninstalled kodi and the emby for kodi plugin today and did a fresh install of kodi 17.5 with the latest emby plugin and the problem is persisting.

I have just watched 2 full TV shows and a half TV show, the first two synced to emby as completed the 3rd synced its currently played status perfectly as well.

Now I have tried to watch a 4th seperate one and emby server is not seeing it as playing and as IronRobi mentioned on the dhasboard of emby service it is showing my kodi as last seen 16 minutes ago. 

have pasted my log below. 

https://pastebin.com/MK7cTVEG

All shows were played from widgets using titan skin in kodi. 

The episode is Scorpion - 4x04 - Nuke Kids on the Block, shows up in kodi as Nuke Kids on the Block

I quit kodi and restarted it and it works fine even with that episode.

Its like the connection between emby for kodi and the emby server is closing and sometimes it reconnects and sometimes it doesn't. 

Its like the connection between emby for kodi and the emby server is closing and sometimes it reconnects and sometimes it doesn't. 

That sounds like it's matching my observation when the server says "last seen X minutes ago". Beyond 5 minutes I can start the episode as many times as I want but it won't register as playing. When it resynchs and says "last seen 1 minute ago" it plays. Could the connection be going dormant after a certain number of minutes?

I wonder if downgrading to an earlier version of Kodi, say 17.3 would still have the same issue? I never noticed it on any other version.

Angelblue05

I'm still trying to see where the problem could be. @@elsker you say it works if you restart kodi, can you provide the log for that? Does this only happen when playing from widget?

I have an idea of what it could be... when playing from widget, there's a verification to make sure a video is playing. I saw in logs that the addon was not able to find the item id of what's playing, which causes the issue. Maybe the verification is failing due to timing. But I can't seem to reproduce this.

Edited by Angelblue05

@@Angelblue05

I do not know if that restarting Kodi was repeatable or coincidence it usually starts working randomly after you stop and start an episode a few times, that time I could not get the play state acknowledged in emby server after about 10 attempts so I quit kodi and restarted it and it worked. The log would be overwritten now I will try it again when I can. I have only tried that the once. 

That particular time when it would not start at all I also tried it from the TV media view not just the widget before I restarted Kodi, and that also would not work. the next time it fails I will try from the media/library view as well and see if I can get a log of both and a restart.

I am about to watch some shows and its been happening every night so will see.

I was also thinking of doing another fresh install of Kodi 17.3 and seeing if that fixes it because I think that for the bulk of the last 8 months where it worked perfectly that was the version of Kodi I had. 

I will get some more logs though soon. 

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thank you, I don't think a fresh install would solve the issue. But I am looking into it.

Edit: I can confirm this is an issue btw, my Trakt is spotty as well. Edit2: Ah, but my issue was because I am an additional user and the primary user account has no trakt associated. This fails the whole process. Someone really needs to update the plugin, it's severely outdated.

Anyway, still looking into this :/

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

@@elsker

I suspect a timing issue, at least according to your previous log. Please try the build I've provided and let me know if it helps. I've added a retry on detecting what is playing. Hopefully it resolves your issue.

plugin.video.emby-2.3.56a.zip

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to see where the problem could be. @@elsker you say it works if you restart kodi, can you provide the log for that? Does this only happen when playing from widget?

I have an idea of what it could be... when playing from widget, there's a verification to make sure a video is playing. I saw in logs that the addon was not able to find the item id of what's playing, which causes the issue. Maybe the verification is failing due to timing. But I can't seem to reproduce this.

I play 90% from widget because it's the most recent 25 items. This could also explain why it doesn't happen for my wife throughout the day with her grey's anatomy binge watching.

• Like 1