Navigation Issue?

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

Windows 10 Pro

Emby Servier 2.9.3

I have spent the last 2 and a half hours marking a ton of movies as watched/favorite.  I am trying to get back to the main menu to move into a different library.  When I hit back, it goes to one of the movies I selected, hitting back again takes me to the list of movies, hitting back again takes me to another movie I selected... You get the idea.  I didn't feel like hitting back another 800 times, so I just closed Emby Theater.

I'm thinking this is a bug, or a navigation issue.

Hi.  It isn't a bug.  You went down a particular road and then turned around and started going back.

Next time, click on your user icon at the top and select "Home".

Dizzy49

Hmmmm....

So I start at Point A, go to Point B, go back to Point A, then to Point C, back to Point A, then to Point D, then back to Point A.

You are saying that even though I went back to Point A, ie the beginning, I have to traverse the entire way in reverse?

Logically that just seems silly.  From a usability standpoint, I have to ask Why?  What sense does that make at all?

Clicking back takes takes you back to the screen you saw previously. Does that answer your question?

Dizzy49

No it doesn't.  For a single click yes that is what is expected.  By your brief explaination, you end up in a loop.  From Point A I go to Point B.  I click Back and it takes me to Point A.  I click Back again and I go to Point B....

Again, there is no logical or usability reason it should be like this.  If I go to a Movie, click Back to go back to the Movie Listing, and click Back again, it should take me back to the Movie Library main area.  That is logical, and makes the most sense from a usability standpoint.  Why would anyone even want/need to go back through all the movies they clicked in?  When would that EVER make sense?

No it doesn't.  For a single click yes that is what is expected.  By your brief explaination, you end up in a loop.  From Point A I go to Point B.  I click Back and it takes me to Point A.  I click Back again and I go to Point B....

Again, there is no logical or usability reason it should be like this.  If I go to a Movie, click Back to go back to the Movie Listing, and click Back again, it should take me back to the Movie Library main area.  That is logical, and makes the most sense from a usability standpoint.  Why would anyone even want/need to go back through all the movies they clicked in?  When would that EVER make sense?

Okay, so you are saying you actually went back to the library screen and then forward again and those navigations were saved in the backstack as well?  If so, then, yeah, I agree. Going back shouldn't be added to your history.

Dizzy49

Okay, so you are saying you actually went back to the library screen and then forward again and those navigations were saved in the backstack as well?  If so, then, yeah, I agree. Going back shouldn't be added to your history.

Correct, that is what I am saying.

From Point A I go to Point B.  I click Back and it takes me to Point A.  I click Back again and I go to Point B....

I can't reproduce that.

• 6 years later...
alunfryer

Reviving an old thread here, but I think what it highlights is the behaviour of the Back is "browser behaviour", rather than what we have become more familiar in media libraries, what I'll call "Netflix behaviour".

Browser behaviour: step back through every page you've been on. So if you went into a tv show, watch an episode, then binge next episode, next episode (etc.), the back steps you back through each episode. Probably not what most users really want to do.

Netflix behaviour: The back button moves up and down the tree hierarch: Library->Show->Season->Episode. So if I do the aformentioned episode binging example, one click of the back button takes me out of the current episode and back to the season. Back again to the show; back again to the library.

I'll admit that I've always found the navigation a bit odd. Sometimes I navigate from the show page and have a choice of the next upcoming episodes, but sometimes I have to navigate down into the season and choose from a list of episodes. Seems random to me which way comes up, I've just sort of adapted to it. Still seems odd and inconsistent.

Edited by alunfryer