Please fix "More Like This" suggestions

LloydGM

My whole family love laughing at the movie suggestion content under the More Like This section when looking at a movie library item. But, while it would nix our long-running gag, you might want to do something about it. After all, it's awfully useless.

Examples:

Movie: 2001: A Space Odyssey

More Like This content: 101 Dalmatians, Dragons, Gift of the Night Fury, and Princess and the Frog.

Movie: The Shining

More...: Aladdin, Hondo, Watchmen

Movie: Aliens

More...: Bridge at Remagen, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hercules

Movie: Star Wars

More...: The Parent Trap, Goldeneye, Mad Max Fury Road, You Only Live Twice

Ok, I kinda see Mad Max being linked to Star Wars since they're both sci-fi, but seriously, The Parent Trap? OMG are you guys kidding me? Or linking Disney's Aladdin to The Shining?! And, yeah, 101 Dalmatians or Princess and the Frog being linked to 2001? Oh, that's too rich, really.

Still, we'd rather laugh at Billy Crystal than More Like This, so please consider fixing it?

PS Beverly Hills Cop is linked to John Wick, ROFLMAO

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

I am most probably in the minority but I would REALLY like to be able to turn off all "suggestions" and other like fluff in Emby. 

I only really want Emby to present my media for playing, play it correctly and allow a variety of sorting and grouping options.

Currently Emby does the first pretty well the second quite well and the third horrendously poorly. The exact problems are, I believe, more suited for a different thread but just simply in the clients being able to reverse the current sort would go quite a ways toward making browsing a large library more friendly.

I do NOT want or need software making suggestions as to what I might want to watch. I can make up my own mind about that and, while I am lazy in a lot of ways, I am not so lazy as to want to have software take responsibility away from me for choices.

Others may well feel differently so this is another area where choice would be good. 

• Like 2

Hi. These suggestions can only be as good as the data we have for the movies.  The genres typically being the most important of that data.

So, look at the genres (and actors and directors) of those movies in relation to the seed movie.  Do they start to make a little more sense?

You can potentially improve them by improving the genres at the source.

• Like 1

The problem is with "like". Like what? Same genre? Same actors? Same director? Look at some of my examples, they aren't in any way related whatsoever that I can tell, like The Shining and Disney's Aladdin?

If it can't be done well, don't do it...it just degrades the product as a whole.

Want a comparison? Imagine how you'd feel if you woke up and your surgeon told you, "sorry the surgery didn't go completely as expected, we couldn't find the right implements so we grabbed whatever was in your truck's toolbox, instead."

So if you can't make it work well, just make it go away, ok? I mean, my kids think it's funny and I kinda agree with 'em sometimes (Shining and Aladdin?!), but just think about it a bit, ok? What kind of statement are the designers trying to make with a feature that isn't just mildly flaky, it's laughably broken?

• Like 1

I recommend the algorithm forget about director.

Use only genre and ratings.

Perhaps it should match several genres, and the item should be chosen with the same rating.

However, here in Canada the movie: Mission Impossible is rated "G" and so is all the Pixar/Disney movies for kids... So even that would have mistakes.

The only other idea I had is to match key words from the media items description.

Edited by chef

The problem is with "like". Like what? Same genre? Same actors? Same director? Look at some of my examples, they aren't in any way related whatsoever that I can tell, like The Shining and Disney's Aladdin?

So, if you look at those two movies, they don't share any genres, actors or director?

No, they share nothing in common: actors, directors, writers, producers, publishers, and most especially, genres.

Seriously, though, The Shining and Aladdin? How could those be even remotely related other than they're both in color?

I'm running Plex and Emby side-by-side and Plex's Related Movies has great selections while Emby's seems merely random. Plex shows:

Shining: Dreamcatcher, What Lies Beneath, Full Metal Jacket, Ghosts of Mars, and Blade Runner

Aladdin: 2 Scooby-Do movies, Shrek, Moana, and Brave

I know this is 1 of those PITA features because it's a very subjective topic which nobody can't get it perfect...it's like recommending other more art when looking at an oil painting. I'm just asking that more thought be put into whatever algorithms are used to determine Emby's related movies.

Suggestion: instead of just listing movies, how about showing why/how each particular movie was chosen? Maybe small overlay icons for genre, actors, etc.? Or mouse-over popups? Perhaps taking user preferences into account somehow? In fact, the more I think about it, the cooler user prefs would be...imagine the family sitting together browsing movies for a family movie night and everyone's getting slightly different selections...that's a conversation element, aye? Maybe you could take it 1 step further and have a selector to view the More Like This selections from other users of the same Emby installation? Now that'd be doubly cool!

Deathsquirrel

They are going to be linked by metadata or you're running into a bug I don't experience.  The source data for genres on metadata sites tends to be absolute nonsense so that is the most likely overlap.

Can you show us the genres that are assigned to both "The Shining" and "Aladdin" in your Emby setup?

Thanks.

This feature is definitely significantly weaker than the same feature implementation by a major competitor. It's similar to the Search feature in that it's mostly useless and tends to show irrelevant data more often than relevant data (or maybe it's more accurate to say that it delivers more undesirable data compared to desired data).

This feature is definitely significantly weaker than the same feature implementation by a major competitor. It's similar to the Search feature in that it's mostly useless and tends to show irrelevant data more often than relevant data (or maybe it's more accurate to say that it delivers more undesirable data compared to desired data).

My sentiments exactly which is why we don't use Search. For example, if I want to see movies by John Wayne, I'd go to my Movies library and search for John Wayne. Guess what? It only shows me info on John Wayne, the actor, and shows nothing about my zillion movies with John Wayne or biographies about John Wayne. I.e. Search is so limited, it's next to useless. Now, THIS is a feature that could really use some Google-like algorithms. :) E.g. if metadata is stored in a database, use queries with union statements to combine various types of content which include the keywords used in the search. I do that all the time at work, it's not rocket science.

Can you show us the genres that are assigned to both "The Shining" and "Aladdin" in your Emby setup?

Shining: Drama, Horror

Aladdin: Adventure, Animation, Comedy

Both movies are ID'd by IMDb and TheMovieDb

Jdiesel

My whole family love laughing at the movie suggestion content under the More Like This section when looking at a movie library item. But, while it would nix our long-running gag, you might want to do something about it. After all, it's awfully useless.

Examples:

Movie: 2001: A Space Odyssey

More Like This content: 101 Dalmatians, Dragons, Gift of the Night Fury, and Princess and the Frog.

Movie: The Shining

More...: Aladdin, Hondo, Watchmen

Movie: Aliens

More...: Bridge at Remagen, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hercules

Movie: Star Wars

More...: The Parent Trap, Goldeneye, Mad Max Fury Road, You Only Live Twice

Ok, I kinda see Mad Max being linked to Star Wars since they're both sci-fi, but seriously, The Parent Trap? OMG are you guys kidding me? Or linking Disney's Aladdin to The Shining?! And, yeah, 101 Dalmatians or Princess and the Frog being linked to 2001? Oh, that's too rich, really.

Still, we'd rather laugh at Billy Crystal than More Like This, so please consider fixing it?

PS Beverly Hills Cop is linked to John Wick, ROFLMAO

For comparisons sake when I use Trakts recommendations

2001: A Space Odyssey - Interstellar, Moon, 2010, Solaris

The Shining - Black Butterfly, The Snowman, Secret Window

Aliens - Alien, Alien3, Alien Covenant

Star Wars - The empire strikes back, The force awakens, Rouge One

• Like 1

Also, I just double-checked my mkv files, and there's no metadata present other than basic DVD info captured by MakeMKV; so all the metadata being used in Emby has to be coming from IMDb and TheMovieDb.

At work, I own--as in design, build, and maintain--a data warehouse where I store the company's Active Directory content, and the database provides some fairly powerful content retrieval functionality. Granted, my coding environment probably doesn't match your guys', but I'd gladly assist with feature in Emby if you guys'd like, e.g. help upgrade Emby's search capabilities?

• Like 2

Happy2Play

My sentiments exactly which is why we don't use Search. For example, if I want to see movies by John Wayne, I'd go to my Movies library and search for John Wayne. Guess what? It only shows me info on John Wayne, the actor, and shows nothing about my zillion movies with John Wayne or biographies about John Wayne. I.e. Search is so limited, it's next to useless. Now, THIS is a feature that could really use some Google-like algorithms. :) E.g. if metadata is stored in a database, use queries with union statements to combine various types of content which include the keywords used in the search. I do that all the time at work, it's not rocket science.

What is wrong with John Wayne?

59e3ce3bb5512_search.jpg

I would also like to be able to turn all off the suggestions and other similar "fluff" 

These should all be optional settings.

I am most probably in the minority but I would REALLY like to be able to turn off all "suggestions" and other like fluff in Emby. 

I only really want Emby to present my media for playing, play it correctly and allow a variety of sorting and grouping options.

Currently Emby does the first pretty well the second quite well and the third horrendously poorly. The exact problems are, I believe, more suited for a different thread but just simply in the clients being able to reverse the current sort would go quite a ways toward making browsing a large library more friendly.

I do NOT want or need software making suggestions as to what I might want to watch. I can make up my own mind about that and, while I am lazy in a lot of ways, I am not so lazy as to want to have software take responsibility away from me for choices.

Others may well feel differently so this is another area where choice would be good

• Like 2

Okay, let me ask you this - how many other items are in the library that would match with Animation, Adventure and Comedy?

This could be a situation where we always return something so, if there aren't very many that are good matches, you could potentially see some bad ones.

"how many other items are in the library that would match with Animation, Adventure and Comedy?"

"Better to not match anything at all then to match something that is completely wrong"

I totally agree, if you can't match, don't show invalid matches. Otherwise, it's like asking the car dealer, "what's closest to a VW Beetle that you can give me for $20K" and they give you a $200K Ferarri. (Used, of course.)

To answer the question, I have no way of getting that info from Emby; however, I estimate at least 50 other movies that should match up with Aladdin, well over 100 for Shining.

Jdiesel

How about using TasteDive API? A free access key allows for 150 requests per hour.

https://tastedive.com/read/api

Here is an example using Aladdin

https://tastedive.com/api/similar?q=aladdin&type=movies&k=288648-Emby-S2PMG0G1&limit=10

Results

{"Similar": {"Info": [{"Name": "Aladdin", "Type": "movie"}], "Results": [{"Name": "Snow White", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Pocahontas", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Pinocchio", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Bambi", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "One Hundred And One Dalmatians", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Tarzan", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Dumbo", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Hercules", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "The Little Mermaid", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", "Type": "movie"}]}}

And will a full description and Youtube Trailer URL

{"Similar": {"Info": [{"Name": "Aladdin", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Aladdin is a 1992 American animated comedy musical romantic fantasy adventure film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation for Walt Disney Pictures. The film is the 31st Disney animated feature film, and was the fourth produced during the Disney film era known as the Disney Renaissance. It was directed by John Musker and Ron Clements, and is based on the Arab-style folktale of the same name from One Thousand and One Nights and the French interpretation by Antoine Galland. The voice cast features Scott Weinger, Robin Williams, Linda Larkin, Jonathan Freeman, Frank Welker, Gilbert Gottfried and Douglas Seale. The film follows Aladdin, a street urchin, who finds a magic lamp containing a genie. In order to hide the lamp from the Grand vizier, he disguises himself as a wealthy prince, and tries to impress the Sultan and his daughter.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_(1992_Disney_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QapaqcDucmg", "yID": "QapaqcDucmg"}], "Results": [{"Name": "Snow White", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a 1937 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and originally released by RKO Radio Pictures. Based on the German fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm, it is the first full-length cel animated feature film and the earliest Disney animated feature film. The story was adapted by storyboard artists Dorothy Ann Blank, Richard Creedon, Merrill De Maris, Otto Englander, Earl Hurd, Dick Rickard, Ted Sears and Webb Smith. David Hand was the supervising director, while William Cottrell, Wilfred Jackson, Larry Morey, Perce Pearce, and Ben Sharpsteen directed the film's individual sequences.Snow White premiered at the Carthay Circle Theatre on December 21, 1937, followed by a nationwide release on February 4, 1938. It was a critical and commercial success, and with international earnings of $8 million during its initial release briefly assumed the record of highest-grossing sound film at the time. The popularity of the film has led to it being re-released theatrically many times, until its home video release in the 1990s. Adjusted for inflation, it is one of the top ten performers at the North American box office.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_(1937_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/tkIkeGHNvbo", "yID": "tkIkeGHNvbo"}, {"Name": "Pocahontas", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Pocahontas is a 1995 American animated musical romantic-comedy-drama film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation for Walt Disney Pictures. The 33rd Disney animated feature film, the film is part of the era known as the Disney Renaissance which lasted from 1989 to 1999. Directed by Mike Gabriel and Eric Goldberg, the film is inspired by the known history and folklore surrounding the Native American woman Pocahontas and portrays a fictionalized account of her historical encounter with Englishman John Smith and the Jamestown settlers that arrived from the Virginia Company. The voice cast features Irene Bedard, Mel Gibson, David Ogden Stiers, Russell Means, Christian Bale, Billy Connolly, and Linda Hunt. The musical score was written by Alan Menken, with songs written by Menken and lyricist Stephen Schwartz.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocahontas_(1995_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/9q1QF8G47oU", "yID": "9q1QF8G47oU"}, {"Name": "Pinocchio", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Pinocchio is a 1940 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and based on the Italian children's novel The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. It was the second animated feature film produced by Disney, made after the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937).The plot of the film involves an old wood-carver named Geppetto who carves a wooden puppet named Pinocchio. The puppet is brought to life by a blue fairy, who informs him that he can become a real boy if he proves himself to be \"brave, truthful, and unselfish\". Pinocchio's efforts to become a real boy involve encounters with a host of unsavory characters. The film was adapted by Aurelius Battaglia, William Cottrell, Otto Englander, Erdman Penner, Joseph Sabo, Ted Sears, and Webb Smith from Collodi's book. The production was supervised by Ben Sharpsteen and Hamilton Luske, and the film's sequences were directed by Norman Ferguson, T. Hee, Wilfred Jackson, Jack Kinney, and Bill Roberts. Pinocchio was a groundbreaking achievement in the area of effects animation, giving realistic movement to vehicles, machinery and natural elements such as rain, lightning, smoke, shadows and water. The film was released to theaters by RKO Radio Pictures on February 7, 1940.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinocchio_(1940_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UQzZANZ4R14", "yID": "UQzZANZ4R14"}, {"Name": "Bambi", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Bambi is a 1942 American animated film directed by David Hand (supervising a team of sequence directors), produced by Walt Disney and based on the book Bambi, a Life in the Woods by Austrian author Felix Salten. The film was released by RKO Radio Pictures on August 13, 1942, and is the fifth Disney animated feature film.The main characters are Bambi, a white-tailed deer; his parents (the Great Prince of the forest and his unnamed mother); his friends Thumper (a pink-nosed rabbit); and Flower (a skunk); and his childhood friend and future mate, Faline. For the movie, Disney took the liberty of changing Bambi's species into a white-tailed deer from his original species of roe deer, since roe deer are not native to North America, and the white-tailed deer is more widespread in the United States. The film received three Academy Award nominations: Best Sound (Sam Slyfield), Best Song (for \"Love Is a Song\" sung by Donald Novis) and Original Music Score.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/nLvX-erABqY", "yID": "nLvX-erABqY"}, {"Name": "One Hundred And One Dalmatians", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "One Hundred and One Dalmatians, often abbreviated as 101 Dalmatians, is a 1961 American animated adventure film produced by Walt Disney and based on the 1956 novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith. The 17th Disney animated feature film, the film tells the story of a litter of dalmatian puppies who are kidnapped by the villainous Cruella de Vil (Betty Lou Gerson), who wants to use their fur to make into coats. Their parents, Pongo and Perdita, (Rod Taylor and Cate Bauer respectively) set out to save their children from Cruella, all the while rescuing 84 additional puppies that were bought in pet shops, bringing the total of dalmatians to 101.Originally released to theaters on January 25, 1961, by Buena Vista Distribution, One Hundred and One Dalmatians was a box office success, pulling the studio out of the financial slump caused by Sleeping Beauty, a costlier production released two years prior. Aside from its box office revenue, its commercial success was due to the employment of inexpensive animation techniques\u2014such as using xerography during the process of inking and painting traditional animation cels\u2014that kept production costs down. It was reissued to cinemas four times in 1969, 1979, 1985 and 1991. The 1991 reissue was the twentieth highest earning film of the year for domestic earnings. It was remade into a live action film in 1996.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Hundred_and_One_Dalmatians", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/EdV2tPJOPRY", "yID": "EdV2tPJOPRY"}, {"Name": "Tarzan", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "The Legend of Tarzan is a 2016 American adventure film based on the fictional character created by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Directed by David Yates, with a screenplay by Adam Cozad and Craig Brewer, the film stars Alexander Skarsg\u00e5rd as the title character, with Samuel L. Jackson, Margot Robbie, Djimon Hounsou, Jim Broadbent and Christoph Waltz in supporting roles. Principal photography began on June 21, 2014, at Warner Bros. Leavesden Studios in the United Kingdom, and wrapped four months later on October 3.The film premiered at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on June 29, 2016 and was theatrically released in the United States on July 1, 2016, in 2D, 3D, IMAX and IMAX 3D. The film grossed over $356 million against a budget of $180 million and received mixed reviews from critics.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Tarzan_(film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/dLmKio67pVQ", "yID": "dLmKio67pVQ"}, {"Name": "Dumbo", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Dumbo is a 1941 American animated film produced by Walt Disney Productions and released by RKO Radio Pictures. The fourth Disney animated feature film, it is based upon the storyline written by Helen Aberson and illustrated by Harold Pearl for the prototype of a novelty toy (\"Roll-a-Book\"). The main character is Jumbo Jr., a semi-anthropomorphic elephant who is cruelly nicknamed \"Dumbo\". He is ridiculed for his big ears, but in fact he is capable of flying by using his ears as wings. Throughout most of the film, his only true friend, aside from his mother, is the mouse, Timothy \u2013 a relationship parodying the stereotypical animosity between mice and elephants.Dumbo was released on October 23, 1941; made to recoup the financial losses of Fantasia, it was a deliberate pursuit of simplicity and economy for the Disney studio. At 64 minutes, it is one of Disney's shortest animated features. Sound was recorded conventionally using the RCA System. One voice was synthesized using the Sonovox system, but it, too, was recorded using the RCA System.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbo", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/4hlowTTSyXo", "yID": "4hlowTTSyXo"}, {"Name": "Hercules", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Hercules is a 1997 American animated musical fantasy comedy film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation for Walt Disney Pictures. The 35th Disney animated feature film, the film was directed by Ron Clements and John Musker. The film is loosely based on the legendary hero Heracles (known in the film by his Roman name, Hercules), the son of Zeus, in Greek mythology. The film also featured the first positive portrayal of African American women in a Disney animated film.Development of Hercules began in 1992 following a pitch adaptation of the Heracles mythological stories by animator Joe Haidar. Meanwhile, Ron Clements and John Musker re-developed their idea for Treasure Planet following the critical and commercial success of Aladdin. Their project was removed from development in 1993, and Musker and Clements joined Hercules later that same year. Following an unused treatment by Haidar, Clements and Musker studied multiple interpretations of Greek mythology before abandoning Zeus's adulterous affair with Alcmene. The project underwent multiple story treatments and a first script draft was inspired by the screwball comedy films of the classic Hollywood era and popular culture of the 1990s. Donald McEnery, Bob Shaw, and Irene Mecchi were brought on board to shorten the script. British cartoonist Gerald Scarfe was recruited as production designer and produced over seven hundred visualization designs of the characters. Research trips to Greece and Turkey provided inspiration for the background designs. Animation for the film was done in California and Paris. Computer animation was utilized in several scenes, predominantly in the Hydra battle sequence.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_(1997_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/1L41RWI1oUg", "yID": "1L41RWI1oUg"}, {"Name": "The Little Mermaid", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "The Little Mermaid is an upcoming 2017 live-action fantasy-adventure film loosely based on the original Hans Christian Andersen novel of the same name.The story starts with an old grandmother telling her granddaughters the story of the Little Mermaid. Despite their young age, the girls don't believe in the story, until their grandmother tells them a tale of her own. Years ago, a young reporter named Cam Harrison who had failed to earn a living sets out in search of a good story accompanied by his younger sister, Elle. There, they go to a circus and encounter a mermaid trapped in a tank. They are further amazed when the mermaid appears before them as a young woman with legs. The duo soon learn of a prophecy about a little girl born on land, blessed with the heart of a mermaid. With this ancient prophecy come to life in Elle, they are further entangled in a sinister plot of a wizard who wishes to keep the soul of the mermaid and convert it to power.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(2017_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/wWhmheEtIdI", "yID": "wWhmheEtIdI"}, {"Name": "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a 1937 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and originally released by RKO Radio Pictures. Based on the German fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm, it is the first full-length cel animated feature film and the earliest Disney animated feature film. The story was adapted by storyboard artists Dorothy Ann Blank, Richard Creedon, Merrill De Maris, Otto Englander, Earl Hurd, Dick Rickard, Ted Sears and Webb Smith. David Hand was the supervising director, while William Cottrell, Wilfred Jackson, Larry Morey, Perce Pearce, and Ben Sharpsteen directed the film's individual sequences.Snow White premiered at the Carthay Circle Theatre on December 21, 1937, followed by a nationwide release on February 4, 1938. It was a critical and commercial success, and with international earnings of $8 million during its initial release briefly assumed the record of highest-grossing sound film at the time. The popularity of the film has led to it being re-released theatrically many times, until its home video release in the 1990s. Adjusted for inflation, it is one of the top ten performers at the North American box office.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_(1937_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/IfePzXxIuvc", "yID": "IfePzXxIuvc"}]}}
Edited by Jdiesel

How about using TasteDive API? A free access key allows for 150 requests per hour.

https://tastedive.com/read/api

Here is an example using Aladdin

https://tastedive.com/api/similar?q=aladdin&type=movies&k=288648-Emby-S2PMG0G1&limit=10

Results

{"Similar": {"Info": [{"Name": "Aladdin", "Type": "movie"}], "Results": [{"Name": "Snow White", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Pocahontas", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Pinocchio", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Bambi", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "One Hundred And One Dalmatians", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Tarzan", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Dumbo", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Hercules", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "The Little Mermaid", "Type": "movie"}, {"Name": "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", "Type": "movie"}]}}

And will a full description and Youtube Trailer URL

{"Similar": {"Info": [{"Name": "Aladdin", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Aladdin is a 1992 American animated comedy musical romantic fantasy adventure film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation for Walt Disney Pictures. The film is the 31st Disney animated feature film, and was the fourth produced during the Disney film era known as the Disney Renaissance. It was directed by John Musker and Ron Clements, and is based on the Arab-style folktale of the same name from One Thousand and One Nights and the French interpretation by Antoine Galland. The voice cast features Scott Weinger, Robin Williams, Linda Larkin, Jonathan Freeman, Frank Welker, Gilbert Gottfried and Douglas Seale. The film follows Aladdin, a street urchin, who finds a magic lamp containing a genie. In order to hide the lamp from the Grand vizier, he disguises himself as a wealthy prince, and tries to impress the Sultan and his daughter.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin_(1992_Disney_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QapaqcDucmg", "yID": "QapaqcDucmg"}], "Results": [{"Name": "Snow White", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a 1937 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and originally released by RKO Radio Pictures. Based on the German fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm, it is the first full-length cel animated feature film and the earliest Disney animated feature film. The story was adapted by storyboard artists Dorothy Ann Blank, Richard Creedon, Merrill De Maris, Otto Englander, Earl Hurd, Dick Rickard, Ted Sears and Webb Smith. David Hand was the supervising director, while William Cottrell, Wilfred Jackson, Larry Morey, Perce Pearce, and Ben Sharpsteen directed the film's individual sequences.Snow White premiered at the Carthay Circle Theatre on December 21, 1937, followed by a nationwide release on February 4, 1938. It was a critical and commercial success, and with international earnings of $8 million during its initial release briefly assumed the record of highest-grossing sound film at the time. The popularity of the film has led to it being re-released theatrically many times, until its home video release in the 1990s. Adjusted for inflation, it is one of the top ten performers at the North American box office.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_(1937_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/tkIkeGHNvbo", "yID": "tkIkeGHNvbo"}, {"Name": "Pocahontas", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Pocahontas is a 1995 American animated musical romantic-comedy-drama film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation for Walt Disney Pictures. The 33rd Disney animated feature film, the film is part of the era known as the Disney Renaissance which lasted from 1989 to 1999. Directed by Mike Gabriel and Eric Goldberg, the film is inspired by the known history and folklore surrounding the Native American woman Pocahontas and portrays a fictionalized account of her historical encounter with Englishman John Smith and the Jamestown settlers that arrived from the Virginia Company. The voice cast features Irene Bedard, Mel Gibson, David Ogden Stiers, Russell Means, Christian Bale, Billy Connolly, and Linda Hunt. The musical score was written by Alan Menken, with songs written by Menken and lyricist Stephen Schwartz.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocahontas_(1995_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/9q1QF8G47oU", "yID": "9q1QF8G47oU"}, {"Name": "Pinocchio", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Pinocchio is a 1940 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and based on the Italian children's novel The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. It was the second animated feature film produced by Disney, made after the success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937).The plot of the film involves an old wood-carver named Geppetto who carves a wooden puppet named Pinocchio. The puppet is brought to life by a blue fairy, who informs him that he can become a real boy if he proves himself to be \"brave, truthful, and unselfish\". Pinocchio's efforts to become a real boy involve encounters with a host of unsavory characters. The film was adapted by Aurelius Battaglia, William Cottrell, Otto Englander, Erdman Penner, Joseph Sabo, Ted Sears, and Webb Smith from Collodi's book. The production was supervised by Ben Sharpsteen and Hamilton Luske, and the film's sequences were directed by Norman Ferguson, T. Hee, Wilfred Jackson, Jack Kinney, and Bill Roberts. Pinocchio was a groundbreaking achievement in the area of effects animation, giving realistic movement to vehicles, machinery and natural elements such as rain, lightning, smoke, shadows and water. The film was released to theaters by RKO Radio Pictures on February 7, 1940.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinocchio_(1940_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UQzZANZ4R14", "yID": "UQzZANZ4R14"}, {"Name": "Bambi", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Bambi is a 1942 American animated film directed by David Hand (supervising a team of sequence directors), produced by Walt Disney and based on the book Bambi, a Life in the Woods by Austrian author Felix Salten. The film was released by RKO Radio Pictures on August 13, 1942, and is the fifth Disney animated feature film.The main characters are Bambi, a white-tailed deer; his parents (the Great Prince of the forest and his unnamed mother); his friends Thumper (a pink-nosed rabbit); and Flower (a skunk); and his childhood friend and future mate, Faline. For the movie, Disney took the liberty of changing Bambi's species into a white-tailed deer from his original species of roe deer, since roe deer are not native to North America, and the white-tailed deer is more widespread in the United States. The film received three Academy Award nominations: Best Sound (Sam Slyfield), Best Song (for \"Love Is a Song\" sung by Donald Novis) and Original Music Score.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/nLvX-erABqY", "yID": "nLvX-erABqY"}, {"Name": "One Hundred And One Dalmatians", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "One Hundred and One Dalmatians, often abbreviated as 101 Dalmatians, is a 1961 American animated adventure film produced by Walt Disney and based on the 1956 novel The Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith. The 17th Disney animated feature film, the film tells the story of a litter of dalmatian puppies who are kidnapped by the villainous Cruella de Vil (Betty Lou Gerson), who wants to use their fur to make into coats. Their parents, Pongo and Perdita, (Rod Taylor and Cate Bauer respectively) set out to save their children from Cruella, all the while rescuing 84 additional puppies that were bought in pet shops, bringing the total of dalmatians to 101.Originally released to theaters on January 25, 1961, by Buena Vista Distribution, One Hundred and One Dalmatians was a box office success, pulling the studio out of the financial slump caused by Sleeping Beauty, a costlier production released two years prior. Aside from its box office revenue, its commercial success was due to the employment of inexpensive animation techniques\u2014such as using xerography during the process of inking and painting traditional animation cels\u2014that kept production costs down. It was reissued to cinemas four times in 1969, 1979, 1985 and 1991. The 1991 reissue was the twentieth highest earning film of the year for domestic earnings. It was remade into a live action film in 1996.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Hundred_and_One_Dalmatians", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/EdV2tPJOPRY", "yID": "EdV2tPJOPRY"}, {"Name": "Tarzan", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "The Legend of Tarzan is a 2016 American adventure film based on the fictional character created by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Directed by David Yates, with a screenplay by Adam Cozad and Craig Brewer, the film stars Alexander Skarsg\u00e5rd as the title character, with Samuel L. Jackson, Margot Robbie, Djimon Hounsou, Jim Broadbent and Christoph Waltz in supporting roles. Principal photography began on June 21, 2014, at Warner Bros. Leavesden Studios in the United Kingdom, and wrapped four months later on October 3.The film premiered at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on June 29, 2016 and was theatrically released in the United States on July 1, 2016, in 2D, 3D, IMAX and IMAX 3D. The film grossed over $356 million against a budget of $180 million and received mixed reviews from critics.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Tarzan_(film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/dLmKio67pVQ", "yID": "dLmKio67pVQ"}, {"Name": "Dumbo", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Dumbo is a 1941 American animated film produced by Walt Disney Productions and released by RKO Radio Pictures. The fourth Disney animated feature film, it is based upon the storyline written by Helen Aberson and illustrated by Harold Pearl for the prototype of a novelty toy (\"Roll-a-Book\"). The main character is Jumbo Jr., a semi-anthropomorphic elephant who is cruelly nicknamed \"Dumbo\". He is ridiculed for his big ears, but in fact he is capable of flying by using his ears as wings. Throughout most of the film, his only true friend, aside from his mother, is the mouse, Timothy \u2013 a relationship parodying the stereotypical animosity between mice and elephants.Dumbo was released on October 23, 1941; made to recoup the financial losses of Fantasia, it was a deliberate pursuit of simplicity and economy for the Disney studio. At 64 minutes, it is one of Disney's shortest animated features. Sound was recorded conventionally using the RCA System. One voice was synthesized using the Sonovox system, but it, too, was recorded using the RCA System.", "wUrl": "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbo", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/4hlowTTSyXo", "yID": "4hlowTTSyXo"}, {"Name": "Hercules", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Hercules is a 1997 American animated musical fantasy comedy film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation for Walt Disney Pictures. The 35th Disney animated feature film, the film was directed by Ron Clements and John Musker. The film is loosely based on the legendary hero Heracles (known in the film by his Roman name, Hercules), the son of Zeus, in Greek mythology. The film also featured the first positive portrayal of African American women in a Disney animated film.Development of Hercules began in 1992 following a pitch adaptation of the Heracles mythological stories by animator Joe Haidar. Meanwhile, Ron Clements and John Musker re-developed their idea for Treasure Planet following the critical and commercial success of Aladdin. Their project was removed from development in 1993, and Musker and Clements joined Hercules later that same year. Following an unused treatment by Haidar, Clements and Musker studied multiple interpretations of Greek mythology before abandoning Zeus's adulterous affair with Alcmene. The project underwent multiple story treatments and a first script draft was inspired by the screwball comedy films of the classic Hollywood era and popular culture of the 1990s. Donald McEnery, Bob Shaw, and Irene Mecchi were brought on board to shorten the script. British cartoonist Gerald Scarfe was recruited as production designer and produced over seven hundred visualization designs of the characters. Research trips to Greece and Turkey provided inspiration for the background designs. Animation for the film was done in California and Paris. Computer animation was utilized in several scenes, predominantly in the Hydra battle sequence.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_(1997_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/1L41RWI1oUg", "yID": "1L41RWI1oUg"}, {"Name": "The Little Mermaid", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "The Little Mermaid is an upcoming 2017 live-action fantasy-adventure film loosely based on the original Hans Christian Andersen novel of the same name.The story starts with an old grandmother telling her granddaughters the story of the Little Mermaid. Despite their young age, the girls don't believe in the story, until their grandmother tells them a tale of her own. Years ago, a young reporter named Cam Harrison who had failed to earn a living sets out in search of a good story accompanied by his younger sister, Elle. There, they go to a circus and encounter a mermaid trapped in a tank. They are further amazed when the mermaid appears before them as a young woman with legs. The duo soon learn of a prophecy about a little girl born on land, blessed with the heart of a mermaid. With this ancient prophecy come to life in Elle, they are further entangled in a sinister plot of a wizard who wishes to keep the soul of the mermaid and convert it to power.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(2017_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/wWhmheEtIdI", "yID": "wWhmheEtIdI"}, {"Name": "Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs", "Type": "movie", "wTeaser": "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a 1937 American animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Productions and originally released by RKO Radio Pictures. Based on the German fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm, it is the first full-length cel animated feature film and the earliest Disney animated feature film. The story was adapted by storyboard artists Dorothy Ann Blank, Richard Creedon, Merrill De Maris, Otto Englander, Earl Hurd, Dick Rickard, Ted Sears and Webb Smith. David Hand was the supervising director, while William Cottrell, Wilfred Jackson, Larry Morey, Perce Pearce, and Ben Sharpsteen directed the film's individual sequences.Snow White premiered at the Carthay Circle Theatre on December 21, 1937, followed by a nationwide release on February 4, 1938. It was a critical and commercial success, and with international earnings of $8 million during its initial release briefly assumed the record of highest-grossing sound film at the time. The popularity of the film has led to it being re-released theatrically many times, until its home video release in the 1990s. Adjusted for inflation, it is one of the top ten performers at the North American box office.", "wUrl": "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Seven_Dwarfs_(1937_film)", "yUrl": "https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/IfePzXxIuvc", "yID": "IfePzXxIuvc"}]}}

Our suggestions are for content in your library...

My apologies for my repeativeness, but if the current algorithm is using directors to figure out content to suggest, it shouldn't.

Use genre first, then narrow the result by rating.

If only one show's up, then one shows up. If no show up, then none show up.

If that is how it is working right now then I dunno...

Well if this doesn't beat all...after upgrading to Emby 3.2.34.0 tonight, now the More Like This suggestions are all making sense. I haven't added any new content since last week, so nothing's changed content-wise. But I spot-checked a bunch of movies in several genres, and the suggestions are looking great w/ only the occasional oddball, and even then, nothing too odd except maybe Air America showing Alien as a suggestion. :)

I can write this off as an anomaly for now, but I do find this odd that there's no mention of this in the upgrade, so I can only guess that something never installed right on my system. (That doesn't fill me with heaps of confidence, either, but then I've written my share of installers over the years and know the many issues that could bork an installation.)

Until the weirdness shows up again, let's just blame Trump for now.

• Like 1