Server details on display

Marvel emby

Marvel emby

Hi guys is there a way of hiding your server details example 45.99.99.67 as I see in a lot of groups people posting server details for others to jump on board and use people's emby servers. I know I've personally put a pin on my log in but even so those people who don't realise there servers are being freeloaded from people sharing details without there knowledge. Example is selecting server it comes up with server name but underneath that shows the address can we get rid of the address part? Regards

Jdiesel

I agree that there should be a way to easily scrub server logs of personal information.

That being said the user posting the logs should really not have their server exposed to the web with no type of password protection in place. It is really their own fault for doing so and even if they don't post their IP address on a public forum they are still putting the server at risk by exposing it to the internet with no password. 

Marvel emby

Examples from one group giving details out there is loads more can we please look at hiding server details? Regards

post-216283-0-17322700-1507668521_thumb.jpg

post-216283-0-09625300-1507668614_thumb.jpg

post-216283-0-03837900-1507668652_thumb.jpg

Jdiesel

Examples from one group giving details out there is loads more can we please look at hiding server details? Regards

I'm not sure I follow completely. So people on Facebook are sharing the addresses of other people's unsecure Emby servers? I'm not sure where the screenshots you posted originate from.

mastrmind11

You'd have to have your head up your a** to not know random people are accessing your server, let alone expose your server to the internet w/o password protection.

• Like 1

dcrdev

You'd have to have your head up your a** to not know random people are accessing your server, let alone expose your server to the internet w/o password protection.

This^

I think what he is asking for is to remove the ip address from the server selection page, because people are taking and sharing screen shots for whatever reason and people are connecting to the emby server that are not supposed to.  

I agree that you have to be a terrible server admin to not know this is happening or to leave your server wide open to the internet in the first place.

That being said there is not much if any value in displaying the server's ip address & port on the server selection screen when its already auto detected and has the server name.  So I think hiding or removing this information would be a good idea.

Edited by dcook

dcrdev

I think what he is asking for is to remove the ip address from the server selection page, because people are taking and sharing screen shots for whatever reason and people are connecting to the emby server that are not supposed to.  

I agree that you have to be a terrible server admin to not know this is happening or to leave your server wide open to the internet in the first place.

That being said there is not much if any value in displaying the server's ip address & port on the server selection screen when its already auto detected and has the server name.  So I think hiding or removing this information would be a good idea.

Except utterly pointless as Emby connect doesn't proxy the connection to the server, the content is still being served directly. It's easy as hell to see where those requests are going in any modern browser.

I don't think anyone is talking about Emby Connect, I know I don't use it at all.

All that he is saying is on the select server screen to not show the ip address and port information, as its not needed since the server is already been detected or manually added.

dcrdev

If he is not using Emby connect - then surely whomever sees the address and port on the server select screen would need those details anyway to arrive on that page?

Not if he is sharing a screen capture of that screen for whatever stupid reason.

All I am saying is there is not really any value to having the ip and port information displayed on that page.

If he is not using Emby connect - then surely whomever sees the address and port on the server select screen would need those details anyway to arrive on that page?

dcrdev

Not if he is sharing a screen capture of that screen for whatever stupid reason.

All I am saying is there is not really any value to having the ip and port information displayed on that page.

Oh right, with you -

Yeah if he's explicitly sharing a picture of his ip address, what does he expect.

Marvel emby

I'm not sharing pics I'm showing you pics of people sharing emby server accounts, people get hold of them from whatever reason more likely than not people can see the server address weather it be through adding a guest all somebody as to do is sign out of server then go to sign back in and on server select page is your server details that dont need to be there and it helps stop people getting it that way

Marvel emby

Also I don't give server details out strictly through guest adds then they pin themselves to to server through there logins but I have 3 servers and on server select screen you see all server details im asking can these be hidden as it would help protect those that are not protected. I've also been informed that you can mask your up through advance settings then put your ip in blind to local network and then change a couple of digits then your ip shows up on server select as the one you changed personally I havnt tried this as of yet

Marvel emby

Apps like roku,firesticks, android boxes , mobile phones, tablets etc all show server select if you have a couple of servers to choose from

Apps like roku,firesticks, android boxes , mobile phones, tablets etc all show server select if you have a couple of servers to choose from

You're just listing out apps. None of the mobile apps display the ip address on the server selection screen. It's only if you edit the server connection info.

Marvel emby

Ok let's go with app roku or nividia shield I will use Nvidia as an example through emby for android tv app on device as you can see server details are visible

post-216283-0-94895000-1507741454_thumb.jpg

post-216283-0-57156700-1507741545_thumb.jpg

Happy2Play

Hmm which Roku App is that?  Unless Remote Roku's show a different screen or each version shows something different my Roku 4 doesn't present Server Select that way.

The first screenshots posted look like someone is purposely advertising those connections as no app presents like that.

The Android TV app does show the address.  This is intended to be informational for the user so they can identify the server properly.

I suppose we could remove it but I'm not positive what the real concern is here.  How is anyone going to get to this screen without already having access to your server somehow?