Serving pumping out live TV at 20Mbps despite streaming setting of 4Mbps

gene0915
Go to solution Solved by gene0915,

gene0915

I recently changed my internet plan. I now have 500 down and 50 up (more like 30 up but who's counting).

Despite having my brothers profile set to 4Mbps and the streaming quality set at 4Mbps, it seems that live TV is being blasted out at 20Mbps:

59da85b6b86b6_embynotlimitingstreaming.p

I'm also including a log file from around the time he was having problems. What's happening on his side, even though he has Emby on his Roku to 4Mbps, he gets a LOT of buffering/pauses. His internet speeds are I think, 20-25Mbps down and 5Mbps up.

I found a few other posts about something really similar, Emby ignoring the streaming quality options when live TV is being streamed, but those were regarding the Android client.

Known bug? (Using the latest server and latest Roku version of the app)

football pausing.txt

Can you look in the transcode temp folder while this is happening. Try opening some of the segment files in something like VLC. See what it reports as the bitrate of those files. Thanks.

Happy2Play

The log show "bitrate max/min/avg: 3616000" and your screenshot shows Emby total under 4Mbs.  If you expand Network Activity does it show Emby is using that bandwidth?

JeremyFr79

The log show "bitrate max/min/avg: 3616000" and your screenshot shows Emby total under 4Mbs.  If you expand Network Activity does it show Emby is using that bandwidth?

Actually look again, it's showing 4MBps which is roughly 32Mbps notice the big B instead of little b for B/sec

Happy2Play

That is what I was just going to suggest a bits verses bytes comparison.

So which is correct?  Windows or FFMPEG since Windows shows 3,930,743 Bytes/sec and ffmpeg shows a bitrate of 3616000.

Edited by Happy2Play

gene0915

New screenshot per your request:

59dab56c1b22e_expandednetwork.png

Edited by gene0915

gene0915

Can you look in the transcode temp folder while this is happening. Try opening some of the segment files in something like VLC. See what it reports as the bitrate of those files. Thanks.

Here ya go:

59dab47e6cb5f_bitrate.png

Happy2Play

Here ya go:

59dab47e6cb5f_bitrate.png

Doesn't show video or overall bit rate though.

gene0915

@@gene0915 Are there multiple streams then?  It reports 2 different addresses.

Afraid I don't understand. :(

Here is a screen grab from another tab, does this help?

59dab67150dc6_bitrate2.png

Happy2Play

@@gene0915 Are there multiple streams then?  It reports 2 different addresses.

We posted at the same time, I was referring to post #7.

gene0915

Actually look again, it's showing 4MBps which is roughly 32Mbps notice the big B instead of little b for B/sec

Correct. In Windows resource monitor, B(ytes)/second.... not bits per second.

gene0915

We posted at the same time, I was referring to post #7.

Ok, I understand and see what you mean now. Of those two streams, the 2nd one is going to my brother (that 73.blah is his IP address). The first stream is going to metrics.plex.tv?!?!?! Why is Emby sending my TV stream to Plex, am I reading that right?

EDIT: My brothers stream is around 500,000 B/s which translates into 4Mbps. Mystery solved on that one. But MediaBrowser sending to Plex????

Edited by gene0915

Happy2Play

You are presenting multiple streams

addresses:  metrics.plex.tv and c-73-154-153---

@@Luke

Edited by Happy2Play

gene0915

You are presenting multiple streams

addresses:  metrics.plex.tv and c-73-154-153---

@@Luke

How? Why? I have Plex set up so it can see the HDHR but nobody is streaming TV from it. The only person streaming TV from my HDHR is my brother, via Emby. It looks like MediaBrowser is streaming TV up to that metrics.plex.tv address. Why is it doing that?

EDIT: I deleted HDHR DVR from Plex but MediaBrowser is still sending a non-stop stream of data to metrics.plex.tv.

Edited by gene0915

Well it's not Emby Server sending data anywhere, it is a remote app downloading from Emby Server.

So the question should be rephrased to why is metrics.plex.tv downloading from your Emby Server? I honestly can't say, sorry. It sounds like perhaps some Emby Server content was added into a plex server. That's about all i can think of based on this little bit of information.

gene0915

Well it's not Emby Server sending data anywhere, it is a remote app downloading from Emby Server.

So the question should be rephrased to why is metrics.plex.tv downloading from your Emby Server? I honestly can't say, sorry. It sounds like perhaps some Emby Server content was added into a plex server. That's about all i can think of based on this little bit of information.

Do I need to raise hell with the folks over at Plex? I honestly have no idea how/why Plex could have tapped into Emby and why it's requesting a stream. Sounds really strange.

I have Emby and Plex setup on the same PC, maybe that has something to do with it?

No, I don't think you have to do that. I think it has something to do with how you have the servers set up.

gene0915

No, I don't think you have to do that. I think it has something to do with how you have the servers set up.

If you could help me unravel the mystery, I would greatly appreciate it! I have no idea where to even start. When I set up Emby, I don't recall it asking/caring that Plex was on there as it was installed 2nd. Guess I'll comb through the config pages for both programs but why would Plex request that stream?

Happy2Play

Does shutting down Plex server kill the Emby request?

Happy2Play

What client is your Brother using to connect to your Emby Server?

gene0915

What client is your Brother using to connect to your Emby Server?

Roku. I did some more digging and maybe I don't understand technology enough but what is gong on here with metrics.plex.tv?

59dac04492075_plexmetricsspying.png