Movie Fails in Roku, All Other Apps Work

naph

When trying to play a specific movie (The Bourne Identity), Emby on Roku completely fails to load the movie.  It hangs at about 40% on the progress bar and will just sit there for pretty much as long as we will let it.  I've attached a log file.  Any ideas?

Log.txt

Edited by naph

Gilgamesh_48

I am not the programmer but I do have a fair amount of experience with playing media on the Roku.

First that is an AVI file "The Bourne Identity.avi" and AVIs will not direct play on the Roku so it has to be transcoded on the server.

Then there is this section in the log:

[mpegts @ 0000000002dae7e0] first pts value must be set
av_interleaved_write_frame(): 
frame=    1 fps=0.0 q=-1.0 Lsize=N/A time=00:07:40.15 bitrate=N/A speed=2.55e+004x    
video:37kB audio:22kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:1kB muxing overhead: unknown
Conversion failed!

That tells me that there is something wrong with the file itself although it might play in some systems/programs.

What I would recommend is that you reencode the file using something like Handbrake to get it to an MP4 format so it does not have to be transcoded. (Just use the "fast 1080p 30" preset.)

The resulting MP4 should play fine assuming that the original AVI is not too screwed up.

Happy2Play

@@ebr @@Luke

If the codec is not supported, I don't understand the output.

TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported,VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported

Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High) (H264 / 0x34363248), yuv420p(progressive), 640x464, 1194 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 47.95 tbc
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3 ([0] [0][0] / 0x2000), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (ac3 (native) -> ac3 (native))

I did as instructed (MP4 via Handbrake) and it worked!  Though I'm looking at the rest of my library and suddenly noticing a lot of AVI files....

Anyways, thank you very much!  But if someone figures out a way to play AVI then I wouldn't turn it down.

Gilgamesh_48

I did as instructed (MP4 via Handbrake) and it worked!  Though I'm looking at the rest of my library and suddenly noticing a lot of AVI files....

Anyways, thank you very much!  But if someone figures out a way to play AVI then I wouldn't turn it down.

I have a number of AVIs as well and most play fine on my Roku but some do not. I have a pretty powerful server so transcoding is pretty easy and in reality all Handbrake really does is pre-transcode a file and place it in a given container. However Handbrake does not try to do it in real time so it will work on a less powerful computer and with other programs running at the same time.

It is the Roku not anything to do directly with Emby that prevents some AVIs from playing. 

I recommend getting all AVIs into something that is more universally supported. AVI is a VERY old and antiquated format and is not the best for playback in general. I have converted most of my AVIs to MP4s and will get the rest sometime pretty soon. It is just easier to play files in a supported format.(MP4 is supported on virtually every media device I know of.) I simply set up a Handbrake batch job with a bunch of files that need converting and let it do its thing.

As I said it is just easier on both me and my server to have everything directly playable. I usually use an MP4 container with an H.264 video format. I know there are fancier formats and maybe even better but I do not see any difference (old eyes) so I do not bother with other formats.

I firmly believe in the KISS principal for all my media consumption.

Waldonnis

Using h.264 video streams with AVI containers has always been problematic, but it's still in wide use despite having other container choices (unfortunately...I wish AVI would just go away).  Re-encoding would definitely be the safest bet.  A remux could potentially work as well (and would be faster), but may require a bit of hand-holding if ffmpeg is choking like it did in that log....not really worth wrestling with it if you're already fine with re-encoding the batch.