Allow global disable of media deletion

Untoten

Untoten

I have quite a bit of users and some I have accidentally left the default 'delete media' toggle activated.  Since there is no mass user management it is quite difficult to go through each user and disable this.  But it is something I wish was never implemented as I manage media from my file server.  I am sure I am not alone on this, but without disabling write access to my emby service account there is not a way to globally disable this, I would like this to be possible.

• Like 8

• 9 months later...
runtimesandbox

I would also like to see this feature -  it would be nice if there was a section where this and certain other features had the option to be limited it admin users only :)

blade005

I would also like to see this feature -  it would be nice if there was a section where this and certain other features had the option to be limited it admin users only :)

Agreed.

I would like to see any of the options below to better manage Libraries or Features that are exposed to Users by default.

1. Global user management option that would all you to SELECT ALL or SELECT a subset of Users and set Library Access and additional features (i.e. Media Deletion) and then SAVE those selections.
  2. Ability to set a DEFAULT User profile with the Libraries and Features you want exposed to New User additions. This would insure that a New User does not get full Emby access inadvertently.
  3. Ability to SELECT Libraries and Features that are only available to a USER ADMIN account.

Any or a combination of the above options would give us a much better user management solution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
jdotero

I too would very much like to see this.  I fear one of my users, may accidentally delete movies thinking that he/she may be deleting them from his or her view -- but in reality deleting it from the server.   I think this is one my biggest concerns with emby.  

I too would very much like to see this.  I fear one of my users, may accidentally delete movies thinking that he/she may be deleting them from his or her view -- but in reality deleting it from the server.   I think this is one my biggest concerns with emby.  

Hi there, have you explored Emby user permissions? You can block your users from deleting media. To learn more, please check out our wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Users

Thanks !

I understand that is what you're requesting, but some are going to see the title and come in here thinking that there's no way to disable deletion at all.

thekingswolf

I think jdotero is the only one in this thread who was under than impression.  I was speaking to the people who understood the thread

• Like 1

jdotero

Negative.  I understand you can disable deleting of files by user.  It is quite easy.  But just inconvenient as I don't want any of my users to be able to delete files, and I have to remove this permission for every account I create.   I am  advocating that the permission which allows someone to delete files is not turned ON by default.   I'd much rather see that on creation of a new user, they can NOT delete files and if I want to grant that ability, I can go an toggle it ON after account creation.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Agreed. Delete for users should be left off by default unless creating an admin account. That with the option to define a "trash" folder to move deleted items to rather than permanently delete items, would be great :)

• Like 4

jdotero

I like Angelblue05's suggestion.  If the developers decide that enabling delete permission is the best default behavior, then making the delete option, actually move a file to a trashbin rather then rm it, is sensible.  In this case, if something is deleted, and I see it in the trashbin, then I (as the administrator of the site) can easily restore it.  Naturally after restoring it, I would then go figure out who deleted it and then revoke their delete permissions.  At least in this case, I would have with minimal recourse to prevent file loss.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...