Subtitles are loaded on the second try (same problem)

Paxalou

Paxalou

Hi, I create a new topic just to say that I have exactly the same problem as here :

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48686-subtitles-are-loaded-on-the-second-try/?hl=subtitles

Except I'm running Emby Server On a Debian Stretch 64bits. And my client is KODI 17.4 on LinuxMint 17.3 MATE 64 bits.

When I say "exactly", I mean that if I had to answer the questions asked in this topic , I would answer exactly the same, word by word.

(sorry for my english)

So , Angelblue05 asked if anyone has the same problem, but the topic is locked. That's why I create this topic.

Edited by Paxalou

Paxalou

And I think I found something in the log : (I hid the my server IP)

12:41:05.601 T:140275972302592   DEBUG: CFileCache::Open - opening <Videos/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/Subtitles/3/Stream.srt> using cache
12:41:05.601 T:140275972302592   DEBUG: CurlFile::Open(0x7f949c177190) http://91.xxx.xxx.xx:yyyy/Videos/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/Subtitles/3/Stream.srt
12:41:08.229 T:140277675169536  NOTICE: EMBY.player -> DEBUG:: reportPlayback Called
12:41:25.618 T:140275972302592  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 3 times.
12:41:25.619 T:140275972302592   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Timeout was reached(28)
12:41:25.619 T:140275972302592   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for http://91.xxx.xxx.xx:yyyy/Videos/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/Subtitles/3/Stream.srt
12:41:25.619 T:140275972302592   ERROR: Open - failed to open source <http://91.xxx.xxx.xx:yyyy/Videos/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/6ec2d0cd67272ecf09d0e391ed3c6371/Subtitles/3/Stream.srt>
12:41:25.619 T:140275972302592   ERROR: OpenStream - Unable to create subtitle parser
Edited by Paxalou

if those subtitles are internal and they are being extracted on the fly then this can sometimes be very slow and that could be why you are thinking that it's not working the first time.

Paxalou

Yes they are internal.

But I'm not "thinking" taht it's not working the first time.. It's really not working at the first time...!

It looks like the reason for that is due to the short 30 second timeout on the kodi http request @@Angelblue05.

My suggestion - increase the timeout, or even better, don't download subtitles when they are internal because i would think the kodi video player can play the internal ones.

Paxalou

OK.

But how can I increase this timeout ? (I don't find any option about that)

Because you say "don't download subtitles when they are internal because i would think the kodi video player can play the internal ones", and I don't really know what that means. If I don't download the subs, how could I understand the movie ? I need those subs... I mean, in the web player, there is no problems with subs...

Angelblue05

The addon does not request internal subs. Only external using the IsExternal key to validate. Is this not the correct way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@Paxalou please provide your kodi log, playing the same content. The addon ignores internal subs because Kodi automatically loads them, so something doesn't add up. Make sure emby for kodi log is enabled (addon settings > advanced > set log level to info)

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ah ok, so as we discovered in the other thread, you are transcoding.

@@Luke

Ignore what I said in previous post. I am following the wiki here is what is done in the addon:

Subtitle media streams have an IsTextSubtitleStream property. If this is true, they can be downloaded in any of the formats listed above.

So I have a verification in place for that property. If the subs has it, then it's added via Kodi, otherwise it's burned into the video with emby. In this particular situation, I cannot control the timeout since it is controlled by Kodi. I don't really know how to resolve this other than not transcoding.

Edited by Angelblue05

Paxalou

Yes, when I direct play, there is no problems with subs.

But what means this IsTextSubtitleStream property ? Is there a way to make subtitles have this property ?

Angelblue05

This was directed to Luke. It's a property internal to the server when it probes your video files.

The issue is not that the property is missing, it's the fact that there's nothing I can do to actually fix subtitles not loading the first time.

@@Luke Because it's transcoding, Kodi doesn't see any audio/subs tracks. If there's a way to keep internal stuff attached to the file, that would fix this.

{u'IsAnamorphic': False, u'IsInterlaced': False, u'DisplayTitle': u'Fre Fran\xe7ais SRT Complets', u'SupportsExternalStream': True, u'Language': u'fre', u'Title': u'Fran\xe7ais SRT Complets', u'Index': 3, u'IsForced': False, u'Score': 10112221, u'Codec': u'subrip', u'CodecTimeBase': u'0/1', u'TimeBase': u'1/1000', u'Level': 0, u'Type': u'Subtitle', u'IsTextSubtitleStream': True, u'IsDefault': True, u'IsExternal': False}

Edited by Angelblue05

Ah ok, so as we discovered in the other thread, you are transcoding.

@@Luke

Ignore what I said in previous post. I am following the wiki here is what is done in the addon:

So I have a verification in place for that property. If the subs has it, then it's added via Kodi, otherwise it's burned into the video with emby. In this particular situation, I cannot control the timeout since it is controlled by Kodi. I don't really know how to resolve this other than not transcoding.

@@Angelblue05, recently there is a new server setting that users can toggle to not allow extraction, but since the add-on is formulating urls client-side it would have to be updated to respect this.

The purpose of this setting is to turn extraction off on systems where it is too slow. However, that will result in the subtitles being burned in with transcoding which could potentially hit the server cpu even harder.

So as you both have discovered here, direct playing is the best option whenever possible.

Angelblue05

@@Luke

Ok, that setting is available to non-admins users right? I don't want a repeat of series pooling.

/System/Configuration/encoding

Edited by Angelblue05

@@Luke

Ok, that setting is available to non-admins users right? I don't want a repeat of series pooling.

/System/Configuration/encoding

There's multiple updates here and I need to update the wiki.

• To determine if you can download subtitles, instead of check IsTextSubtitleStream, check SupportsExternalStream

Hmm, start with that for now, because come to think of it, I could just have that return false when the server config setting is off.

Actually since you're syncing you don't want to resync because of the config change, so that means you will always need to check the config setting anyway. Yes, encodingOptions.EnableSubtitleExtraction

• Like 1

So you should do both of those things, and if that dictates that extraction is not allowed, then you should have the transcoding url burn them in instead.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem as originally reported in the previous thread:

When I play a TV show episode, almost every time, the subtitles aren't loaded (external srt). Kodi thinks they are loaded and enabled, but nothing is displayed.

My setup is Emby running as a Docker on unRaid. I have Kodi running the Emby add-on.

Disabling and enabling subtitles doesn’t work.

When that happens, I’ll use Kodi’s interface to manually download a subtitle and that always works.

I think the subtitle loads fine in the Emby web client (tested once).

From this thread it sounds like enabling “native” in Playback Mode might solve it so I’m giving it a try. (Always had “add-on” enabled since it’s the default.)

Edited by vurt

You are transcoding?

It could be direct playing + trying to pull down a subtitle externally, which is resulting in on the fly extraction. Just like the other user this extraction is probably too slow for his environment thus we need a better way.

It could be direct playing + trying to pull down a subtitle externally, which is resulting in on the fly extraction. Just like the other user this extraction is probably too slow for his environment thus we need a better way.

The Emby server is on a debian OS, with 16 GB RAM and a i5 2.8Ghz CPU. It seems to be enough for that work , no ?

The Emby server is on a debian OS, with 16 GB RAM and a i5 2.8Ghz CPU. It seems to be enough for that work , no ?

What about the storage where the videos are?