Server GPU acceleration or CPU processing?

Guest asrequested

Waldonnis

I have yet to prove this, but I think all my problems are rooted in Windows 10. I've been installing windows 10 with an early version and then getting the updates. All the instabilities occur before it can update to 1703. And it impedes the updates due to crashing while trying to update. Once I finally get to 1703, it seems to stabilize. I've acquired a 1709 build of windows 10, and when I have time, I'm going to test installing it on a different drive, to see what happens. 

If anyone is interested...

That wouldn't surprise me.  I've run across the same issues with newer hardware with past Windows versions as well.  It happened so often at one of my jobs that we just started slipstreaming updates and creating new disc images after "patch Tuesday" every month instead of the 6 month interval used at our other sites at the time (with well over 15,000 computers on site, having an updated image was a deployment time-saver anyway). 

Guest asrequested

OK, so I made a bootable USB using this microsoft tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I performed a clean install on my NVMe drive. A perfect installation! No issues at all, and no 3rd party drivers, needed. A much better experience! Anyone using new hardware, I would very much recommend using that tool. I had some device errors, previously. With this install, everything is correct!

I'm about to reinstall my HTPC with it, too. 

Edited by Doofus

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

If anyone is interested. Using QuickSync in Handbrake with my i7 7700k, to convert from h264 to HEVC, it converted in half of the time it took my Ryzen Threadripper 1920X. Each machine has the same amount of RAM (32GB). I think that when I add more to the Ryzen machine, I may see a significant increase in speed.

Edited by Doofus

Waldonnis

If anyone is interested. Using QuickSync in Handbrake with my i7 7700k, to convert from h264 to HEVC, it converted in half of the time it took my Ryzen Threadripper 1920X. Each machine has the same amount of RAM (32GB). I think that when I add more to the Ryzen machine, I may see a significant increase in speed.

Not bad at all.  This is in UMA mode?  Not sure how much adding more RAM will impact encoder performance, but if you're going to do it anyway, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Sounds like your new toy is performing quite well, though  :D  This was in UMA mode, I'm assuming.  What encoding settings were you using for the x265 software encode and what are the details of your source (4k/1080p, 10 or 8 bit, etc)?  I have a generic set of options that I've been toying with lately for light-use HEVC encodings that you can try if you'd like to see what kind of performance you get from that.  x265's also improved a bit in the last six months (performance and features), so you may want to check a new build when you get a chance.

Guest asrequested

Right now, it's stock. I installed the Ryzen master software, yesterday. I haven't tried much, yet. I need to learn more first. The threadripper transcodes to HEVC at around 45-50fps. I was hoping it would be faster. My i7 7700k with QuickSync, transcodes at around 80-90fps. That's without adjusting the settings in handbrake, and converting an 8bit 1080p h264 to HEVC.

Edited by Doofus

Waldonnis

If you want a fun x265 test, try these settings:

• crf 20
  • tune grain
  • preset slow (or slower, marginal difference in a lot of cases)
  • no-strong-intra-smoothing
  • deblock -6 (could go higher, but meh, let's make it work a bit)
  • rc-lookahead 60
  • no-open-gop

If it's 1080p, you can probably alter these too, since the resolution is lower than 2160p; should speed things up a tad:

• ctu 32
  • merange 28

There's a way to speed up the grain tune a bit as well (rskip), but I'm curious to see how it performs without it.  There are a lot of other little tweaks that are quite nice to use, but those should provide an interesting encoding performance result.  If you're using Handbrake, I can turn all of that into a string you can paste into the params box (both Handbrake and ffmpeg need a little handholding for options that have no arguments, like no-open-gop).

Waldonnis

I haven't tested it, but this probably will work:

no-strong-intra-smoothing=1:deblock=-6:rc-lookahead=60:no-open-gop=1

You can verify some of it by inspecting the metadata on the output file to make sure the options took.  If that doesn't seem to work out, you can try this instead (should do the same thing anyway):

strong-intra-smoothing=0:deblock=-6:rc-lookahead=60:open-gop=0

Then just set the Encoder Preset slider to slow, change the Encoder Tune dropdown to Grain, and the Constant Quality slider to 20.

If you want to try some ctu and merange changes as well, just tack this on to the end of the above (remember the colon separator needs to be added to the end of the above too prior to pasting this in):

ctu=32:merange=28

I'm not committed to either value, personally, and merange can be adjusted further without much consequence, but they're decent starting points for 1080p.