Server GPU acceleration or CPU processing?

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

That ash is awful and gets in EVERYTHING.  Glad to hear your city has been spared, considering how bad this round of wildfires has been in that area.

I'm looking forward to your test results with the new equipment.  I still have yet to go through the preliminary reviews on Intel's latest and am curious to see how TR compares, as well as seeing how it performs in an actual scenario that matters for folks like myself.

That's why I want to make a new topic based on my build. I figure it may give those who are interested, some actual emby performance information. Initially, I only have enough memory to fill one quad channel bank.

I love the Threadripper idea!!! I too am leaning away from using GPU hardware acceleration on my server.

My plan is to replace my old AMD 6 core 1090T (3.2 GHz base clock that I overclocked to 3.66) HTPC server early next year. I have a few servers I want to consolidate (home automation/network monitor, unifi controller, log server), as well as adding a windows home server, and migrate to a freenas from my old readynas system and integrate the NAS array of 6 x 8TB drives and 2 SSDs.

Currently, I am working to virtualize all of it into a VMware based hypervisor. I am hoping to build all of this on a Ryzen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

Guest asrequested

I tried building it, today. I couldn't get it to boot, correctly. It probably needs some finagling, but I'm not in the right head space to deal with it, right now. I may build a test rig, to mess with it, later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

Any news on AMD build?

Teething problems. I got it to boot, then updated the BIOS, and now it won't boot, again. I haven't invested enough time to figure it out, yet. My advice if anyone is considering a Threadripper... WAIT!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

Anyone thinking of getting a Threadripper.....DON'T! It's an absolute nightmare! So many problems. It's a steady stream of problems.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Sad to hear :(

Problems while running, or getting the PC to start up?

Both. I'm sure I'll get it dialed in, eventually. Well, at least to the point of usability.

Guest asrequested

For general use, I can already tell you it's slower than my i7 6700k. I didn't think I'd notice a difference. I'm hoping that once all the updates are in, I'll see improvement. Emby server already failed to install, but I haven't looked into that, yet.

Guest asrequested

So here are some pics and some info on my Threadripper build.

I used a 1920X and a GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7

59fe299ae2278_IMAG0087.jpg

The CPU is big, basically two in one. For insertion into the socket it has plastic ring clipped onto it. The Intel CPUs I'm used to just drop onto the socket. But this plastic ring is used to slide into a mounting frame, that you push down and click in place. Then screw down the clamp on top of that. They provide you with the Torx tool to screw it down. The handle has a torque spring in it, that lets you know that you've tightened down enough.

59fe2ae535e3a_IMAG009001.jpg

I used a Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 for the heat-sink and fan. It's really quiet and has excellent cooling.

59fe2b99eaba5_IMAG009101.jpg

The motherboard has an array of LEDs. They also let you know if there's something not working. I unfortunately found that out, the hard way (a failed BIOS).

59fe2ccbe8a4e_IMAG009501.jpg

59fe2cde424d4_IMAG0096.jpg

So onto the setup. Not fun!

My first piece of advice is to put the latest BIOS on a thumb drive and install through the existing BIOS, before you add an OS. Once done, under chipset, DISABLE IOMMU. This was a nightmare. If you don't, a few minutes after booting up the OS your system will probably crash and reboot. This drove me nuts! (I'm better now :D )

My second piece of advice is don't try to use an NVMe drive for your OS. The BIOS sees the drive, but it won't boot from it. The X399 has an option to RAID NVMe drives. I have a feeling this is what is causing it to not boot from a single NVME drive, but I can't confirm that. I had to use my other M.2 SSD for my boot drive, and all is working, correctly.

I later figured out this was due to initially installing a pre 1703 build of Windows 10 (see this post)

I'm still getting an LED motherboard 'error' of AA. The manual says that means it's in reserve (whatever that means). The system is stable and functioning well, so unless I get instability, I'll ignore it for now.

Once the OS (Windows 10) was installed, I could immediately see that basic operation is not as quick as the i7 6700k, that I had replaced. I had suspected this might be the case. But I'm using this in my server, so that isn't a big deal. I wouldn't recommend this for a desktop PC. 

I haven't really put it through it's paces, yet, but I did try converting a 4.5GB H264 1hr video to HEVC, using Handbrake. It took about 35mins. It used about 85% of the CPU.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of trying one of these beasts :)

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

My second piece of advice is don't try to use an NVMe drive for your OS. The BIOS sees the drive, but it won't boot from it. The X399 has an option to RAID NVMe drives. I have a feeling this is what is causing it to not boot from a single NVME drive, but I can't confirm that. I had to use my other M.2 SSD for my boot drive, and all is working, correctly.

A little update. This was due to setting the BIOS to fast boot and choosing 'all sata'. The default setting is "last boot HDD'. Using the default setting, it boots.

Jennice

Thanks for your posts, doofus.

It's interesting to follow your build challenges.

If this is a home build, your rack (the PC rack ;) ) hints that you're an even bigger geek than I am.  :D

Guest asrequested

Thanks for your posts, doofus.

It's interesting to follow your build challenges.

If this is a home build, your rack (the PC rack ;) ) hints that you're an even bigger geek than I am.  :D

Yeah, I've assembled and configured the whole rack, including the rack. If you look through the last half of 'show off your rig' and then 'show off your server rack', you'll see the various stages

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/6985-show-off-your-rig/page-1

Waldonnis

@@Waldonnis

Are you not seeing what I've done? :D

Yep  :D   It reminds me of the rack I used to have for Linux development at home...but nicer  :P

I've been playing with some new x265 options and found a thread about Ryzen comparison/results in the HEVC forum on doom9 (clicky).  It's a somewhat typical benchmarking thread, with people poking holes in every test at times and it's kinda centred on comparing Intel vs. AMD, but there's some interesting info about core saturation in there.  If you're doing any HEVC testing with x265, it's worth a read.

Guest asrequested

Another little update on the threadripper build. I decided to reinstall the OS on the NVMe SSD. There is a definite issue with using an NVMe drive as the primary. It intermittently won't boot from it, and when it does boot and run, the OS is unstable and continually crashes. Installing on standard SSD appears to be stable. Hopefully, future BIOS updates will rectify this. 

Edited by Doofus

mastrmind11

jesus bro, you've got the patience of a saint.  that thing would be through a wall at this point if it were me.

Guest asrequested

jesus bro, you've got the patience of a saint.  that thing would be through a wall at this point if it were me.

You have no idea, lol. 

I'm getting weird system crashes. I had to pull the boot drive, just to get back into the BIOS. I'm determined to nail down the cause of the instability :)

It's starting to look like enabling fast boot is the cause. But we'll see...

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I have yet to prove this, but I think all my problems are rooted in Windows 10. I've been installing windows 10 with an early version and then getting the updates. All the instabilities occur before it can update to 1703. And it impedes the updates due to crashing while trying to update. Once I finally get to 1703, it seems to stabilize. I've acquired a 1709 build of windows 10, and when I have time, I'm going to test installing it on a different drive, to see what happens. 

If anyone is interested...

PenkethBoy

Yes interested :)

glad you have the patience to work it out :)

I disable fast boot on my machines as it usually causes problems and with ssd/nvme drives these days is of limited to no benefit as far as i can see