Roku problems

Grumpy1

Hi

I have been running a plex server for the past few years and am switching to Emby but have a few questions.

I have emby running perfectly on a chromebox via Kodi but the wife needs something easy to use, I have got 2 roku's for her to use and they have run really nice for plex.

Emby on the other hand is having all kinds of problems , everything is really slow and the posters are all flashing and same with the background, this is on a Roku 2 and 3.Could this be the age of the Rokus?

Just looking for something faster and easy to use , would a newer Roku be better or can someone recommend something

thanks

pir8radio

Hi

I have been running a plex server for the past few years and am switching to Emby but have a few questions.

I have emby running perfectly on a chromebox via Kodi but the wife needs something easy to use, I have got 2 roku's for her to use and they have run really nice for plex.

Emby on the other hand is having all kinds of problems , everything is really slow and the posters are all flashing and same with the background, this is on a Roku 2 and 3.Could this be the age of the Rokus?

Just looking for something faster and easy to use , would a newer Roku be better or can someone recommend something

thanks

See this post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50444-client-hardware-cable-box-replacement/?p=482038    This is just my opinion, but hopefully it will save you from buying one of each hardware device and headaches of your own..  Long story short, I finally found a setup that made the family happy, and was pretty easy to use acts just like our DirecTv genie's that we were used to, we even use the original DirecTv remotes! 

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Sounds like you maybe seeing the same issue discussed here.

Yep.  Make sure your server is setup properly and has access to image processing.  Are you running the new .net core version on Linux?

thanks guys

After reading the above links and since i am not running the cover art plugin i just tried a reboot of the server and that seemed to have solve the problem.

Yep.  Make sure your server is setup properly and has access to image processing.  Are you running the new .net core version on Linux?

I am using libreelec and the 1.0.3. emby kodi zip. That is all i know how to do :)

I've updated the guide on NSSM to indicate that you first need to install Emby Server from the website. Thanks.

Is this something to do with my question?

sorry not following since i already had the server running

just confused is all :)

Happy2Play

I think he posted in the wrong topic. :D

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

I do notice that my posters and images seem a little slower to load on my Roku under Emby than they did under Plex. Vut it is only a slight difference.

For Plex I always preferred to use my Roku. I used it at least 95% of the time for streaming Plex.

The Roku is a good device for Emby but it is no longer my favorite streamer. For Emby I prefer my Shield TV with my Fire TV actually sitting second and, again for Emby, my Roku is down to third in my preferences.

The things that kept me from using my Shield or my Fire in Plex, play button not working and other things, do not exist with Emby and both the Fire and Shield play MUCH more without transcoding. 

I still use a Roku in my bedroom mainly because my fingers are well trained for the Roku's use, but that may change over time.

I do know the because I have switched to Emby and Roku's quality control has dropped WAY down I am quite unlikely to ever buy another Roku.

I do want to say that Emby on Roku is a really good experience, I just like my Shield and Fire better for Emby and for the way I use Emby.

Happy2Play

I can't get to my Roku right now but I believe there is a Backdrop option in settings that improves performance on older Rokus.

Old topics but there was confirmation here.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44298-beta-setting-for-backdrops/?hl=backdrop&do=findComment&comment=416049