Media server backgrounds very dark

suprasaiyan123
Go to solution Solved by Jdiesel,

suprasaiyan123

Hey everyone, as a migrant from another media server program I took the time to make my server look as pretty as possible especially as I use it not only as a server, but also on my PC as a way to browse my movies/TV shows, one thing I've noticed is that the backgrounds are incredibly dark and seem to have a gradient from left to right(left is pitch black). Is there a way to possibly reduce the background darkening filter to perhaps make the image more visible, some backgrounds which are already dark are now just completely black. Perhaps I'm missing a setting some where, if not could this be possibly implemented into future updates?

Edited by suprasaiyan123

suprasaiyan123

Hey Luke, I have tried to change the themes, however neither my dashboard nor library actually change, they seem to be stuck on black and green. Actually just read it requires an Emby subscription, apologies.

Edited by suprasaiyan123

Ok, the feature requires Emby Premiere. We need to make that more clear. It says it right under the field but we need to give a message box when you try to change it. Thanks.

suprasaiyan123

Anyway here's what I was mentioning in my initial post about the background darkening being too dark 2q9knsm.jpg Not sure if the themes fix it, but it would be kinda cool if there was a darkness slider that we could play around with

• Solution
Jdiesel

Hey everyone, as a migrant from another media server program I took the time to make my server look as pretty as possible especially as I use it not only as a server, but also on my PC as a way to browse my movies/TV shows, one thing I've noticed is that the backgrounds are incredibly dark and seem to have a gradient from left to right(left is pitch black). Is there a way to possibly reduce the background darkening filter to perhaps make the image more visible, some backgrounds which are already dark are now just completely black. Perhaps I'm missing a setting some where, if not could this be possibly implemented into future updates?

This can be modified using CSS. I don't know the exact code needed to increase the transparency of the gradient but maybe @@Happy2Play can assist.

To remove the gradient completely you can add

div.backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {display: none !important;}

to your custom CSS field.

59ca92d8b1571_Capture.png

• Like 1

suprasaiyan123

wow that looks almost 100% better, thanks Jdiesel, I didn't know emby was capable of such customization, is there a list somewhere that has more css customization options

This can be modified using CSS. I don't know the exact code needed to increase the transparency of the gradient but maybe @@Happy2Play can assist.

To remove the gradient completely you can add

div.backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {display: none !important;}

to your custom CSS field.

Jdiesel

With the solution I posted you may find that text is tough to read against bright backdrops. Hopefully someone can contribute a better CSS solution. 

Jdiesel

wow that looks almost 100% better, thanks Jdiesel, I didn't know emby was capable of such customization, is there a list somewhere that has more css customization options

There is no list but a couple of CSS gurus on the forum that can usually help out.

IMO this really should be a standard setting. Gradient amount and gradient transparency.

suprasaiyan123

With the solution I posted you may find that text is tough to read against bright backdrops. Hopefully someone can contribute a better CSS solution. 

Still looks better IMO, perhaps a translucent gray box around the writing would help, or outlined writing like subtitles. Nonetheless thanks a lot 

Edited by suprasaiyan123

Jdiesel

Try this

div.backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {
    background: linear-gradient(to right, rgba(0, 0, 0, .8), rgba(0, 0, 0, .6), rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)) !important;
}

You can adjust the last value (.99 being the darkest .01 being the lightest) in order from left to right. The example posted above looks about right for my taste. 

• Like 1

suprasaiyan123

Try this

div.backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {
    background: linear-gradient(to right, rgba(0, 0, 0, .8), rgba(0, 0, 0, .6), rgba(0, 0, 0, .2)) !important;
}

You can adjust the last value (.99 being the darkest .01 being the lightest) in order from left to right. The example posted above looks about right for my taste. 

That looks perfect man, thanks!

arrbee99

Thats interesting stuff - should come in handy. Ta very much.

This link has stuff stolen / kindly contributed from other members

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50790-my-media-icon-size-backdrops/

If interested, might need to keep an eye on how it integrates with the stuff provided by Jdiesel.

Happy2Play

Have you seen the Web App CSS forum.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/28743-emby-dark-themes-in-different-accent-colors/