Web socket wiki

Luke

Those who are doing remote control should read the dynamic messages part.

Also - playback check-ins can be sent over the web socket, which comes with considerably less overhead then sending the info over the http api. This will allow you to send the info more often. The dashboard uses a five second interval when the web socket is connected. MBT, 2 seconds.

The lower the interval the more responsive remote control will feel to the user. For example, sending a seek command to a client. It will occur very quickly, but the client won't get new playback info until the new position has been reported to the server.

Also I will add notes about the context messages, which I don't think any of you know about at this point.

But as the user browses you can send a context message over the web socket so that the server knows where the user is, and can report that to interested parties.

Also I will add notes about the context messages, which I don't think any of you know about at this point.

But as the user browses you can send a context message over the web socket so that the server knows where the user is, and can report that to interested parties.

Good day Luke,

Yes regarding web socket, it will be more lovely if a server admin send a msg for the client "custom one" :)

My best

MBC sends these now for the current item being viewed. Is it used for anything yet?

At this point chef is the only one looking at it that i know of, but the web client will eventually i imagine.

Redshirt

Can you please clarify, what's needed to make the server aware that a client is available to be remotely controlled.

I've now got a WebSocket client up and am successfully connecting to the server.

currently the server thinks any client who is connected via web socket and has correctly identified themselves can be remote controlled.

if the need ever arises where you have to specify your capabilities, we'll handle it then.

Redshirt

oops. My mistake. I was sending the device string rather than device id string in the identify message. Working as expected now.

i've added both the playback check-ins and context messages. please improve anything you find unclear.