Issues with system locking up during Emby remux

Pestilence

Pestilence

Hi all,

I am a first time Emby user and currently having issues running it within my environment...so hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.  Let me start off by saying I am a long time PLEX user and have PLEX and Emby both installed on the same hardware and only experience these issues below with Emby.  I am trying to move away from PLEX due to some of their recent changes, but this issue is the last thing holding me back.

The main issue that I am having right now is whenever I play a file that requires remuxing on our Roku3, the movie will play for about 4-5 minutes and then switch to a Loading screen where it will either sit indefinetly or randomly play another 10-20 seconds of the movie and then return to the Loading screen.  When this happens, my entire media server becomes unusable and simple commands like "cd" or "ls" will take 30seconds to a minute to process.  The Emby web interface will no longer work on the local server or via the network and attempting to exit the Emby app and go back into it on the Roku results in nothing but blank icons with loading symbols.  Usually this will return working as normal after 5-10 minutes of having the Emby app closed or rebooting the media server.  It is also worth noting that when the system becomes unresponsive after a remux via emby, there is no high utilization of either CPU or RAM on the box.  Also verifed no partitions were becoming 100% due to transcode files, etc...

As stated, the same media on the same Roku plays without issues using PLEX.  Items that do not require remuxing (either direct play or transcoding) seem to play without issues on the Roku and other devices.

I have experienced these same consistent issues on both CentOS7 and on a new install of Arch Linux (Currently using Arch Linux and plan to stay with this).  I have also tested this on four different ROKU3's that we have in the house (all fully updated) and have the same results.  The same file will play on my computer (doesn't require transcoding / remuxing on this device) and have no issues.  Didn't check what version of mono was on CentOS7, but based on other threads I saw on this forum, I have tested on both 4.8.X and 5.X on Arch with same results.

Other information:

Kernel:  4.12.13-1-ARCH

CPU:  i7-4790K

RAM:  16GB

Mono:  (Currently) - 4.8.0   | 5.0.0.100-2

ffmpeg:  3.3.4

ffprobe:  3.3.4

Additional Information:

I've tried with both Intel Quick Sync enabled / disabled

I've tried selecting and unselecting Enable Throttling

Transcoding thread count has been left to auto

All other settings have basically been left at auto other than settings such as Theme, etc...

Currently have no plugins installed

Not a huge fan of uploading my logs here, but I'm more than willing to provide them if there is another way (e-mail, pm, etc...).

Other than the errors that show up when I attempt to exit the Roku app when it is hung, the only other Error that ever seems to show up in the logs look the following:

2017-09-23 07:49:03.400 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://X.X.X.2:8096/emby/Videos/c3824b592a2199c00869165e30d8227c/index.bif?width=320&mediaSourceId=c3824b592a2199c00869165e30d8227c. Connection=close, Host=X.X.X.2:8096, User-Agent=Roku/DVP-7.70 (047.70E04135A)
2017-09-23 07:49:03.401 Error HttpServer: Could not find handler for /emby/Videos/c3824b592a2199c00869165e30d8227c/index.bif

Edit:  Forgot to mention, I have tested this on multiple files that require remuxing, not just one.  All seem to show the same results so far.

Edit2:  Just found a video that had audio which required remux on my computer.  Computer web browser was able to play movie for about 2-3 minutes and then froze.  Attempted simple commands on media server and it showed the same issues as with roku.  As stated, this only happens when a remux is required, but I can now say it isn't related to the roku's at all.

Edited by Pestilence

Pestilence

Hi Luke,

Thanks for responding.  As mentioned, I am hoping to avoid uploading my log files for everyone (no offense to anyone reading this, its just how I am), so I PM'd a copy of the logs that were generated with the ROKU3.  I also have a copy of log files from the failure on my computer, but I'll hold off on those until you decide if you need them or not.

Pestilence

So I've been playing with all the settings today to see if anything specific seems to change any behavior with this and so far I haven't found anything that works.  With that being said, I have noticed that the "lock up" of the machine and web interface stops pretty much at the same time that the XXXXXXXXXXX.m3u8 file finally deletes itself within the /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp directory. 

When I use my computer to reproduce the issue, I am able to pause the file once it locks up then navigate back to the emby home page which sits there with no icons besides a loading icon.  If I monitor the transcoding-temp folder, all commands issued take the 30 seconds to 1 minute range until that m3u8 file goes away.  As soon as that happens, I can issue commands at normal speed and the web interface returns to normal.

In case it matters:

/var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp resides on an SSD with 90Gb free space.  The transcoding folder gets between 300mb - 2gb before everything locks up.

Files that I am attempting to play reside on the same physical box (no going across nfs, smb, etc...) on a zfs raid-10 setup

Right now I don't see an obvious problem. What happens if you lower the in-app quality setting on the Roku to make this video fully transcode?

Pestilence

Unfortunately I've attempted lowering the quality and it still seems to hang the system up at pretty much the same point.  I'll send you a copy of the logs from another movie that is doing the same thing, but on my computer instead of the Roku in case that contains anything useful.