Questions about Emby Server on Raspberry Pi

tdiguy

I ran into a problem with my emby server, mostly because i did not secure the usb hard drive in any way and for some reason it took a dive off my table.

So i pulled out my old microsd card and installed raspbien well its a new version called stretch.

I managed to get up pretty far trying to install emby server but i am stumped at this part:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 emby-server : Depends: embymagick but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any idea's?
This is on a pi3 running raspbien stretch. i am calling it quits for the night ( or morning? since its past midnight now)

Any help is of course appreciated.

mastrmind11

I ran into a problem with my emby server, mostly because i did not secure the usb hard drive in any way and for some reason it took a dive off my table.

So i pulled out my old microsd card and installed raspbien well its a new version called stretch.

I managed to get up pretty far trying to install emby server but i am stumped at this part:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 emby-server : Depends: embymagick but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any idea's?
This is on a pi3 running raspbien stretch. i am calling it quits for the night ( or morning? since its past midnight now)

Any help is of course appreciated.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42011-problems-reinstalling-emby-on-raspberry/

What the heck, i was able to find what i think should work but it says : You can download the requested file from the pool/main/libw/libwebp/ subdirectory at any of these sites:

and there is nothing listed after :

wth.

mastrmind11

Ok i found it finally.

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libw/libwebp/libwebp5_0.4.1-1.1_armhf.deb

I am also curious since i imagine that i might need packages from there as a source how would i go about adding old-releases.ubuntu.com as a source ?

just add it to your sources.list file

mastrmind11

Right, its the formatting that has me tripped up, i cant just add it as that link can i?

nah, i think you keep the same formatting as what's in your sources.list now (country.ubuntu.com... or whatever it is) but switch out the prefix with old-releases.  So something like old-releases.ubuntu.com....  I'm not in front of a linux box right now so I cant verify, but that should work and should resolve dependencies from there.  If you keep current and old in the same sources file, it'll resolve using both and grab whichever repo has it.  Again, theoretically, can't test it at the moment.

nah, i think you keep the same formatting as what's in your sources.list now (country.ubuntu.com... or whatever it is) but switch out the prefix with old-releases.  So something like old-releases.ubuntu.com....  I'm not in front of a linux box right now so I cant verify, but that should work and should resolve dependencies from there.  If you keep current and old in the same sources file, it'll resolve using both and grab whichever repo has it.  Again, theoretically, can't test it at the moment.

Thank you very much. I recently learned about using pretty much anything.lists under /etc/apt/sources.list.d ( i think is the directory ) I will experiment with that so if i muck something up i am very unlikely to hose my entire install.

mastrmind11

Thank you very much. I recently learned about using pretty much anything.lists under /etc/apt/sources.list.d ( i think is the directory ) I will experiment with that so if i muck something up i am very unlikely to hose my entire install.

You can dry run an update/upgrade w/o making changes to your system to see what will get pulled and updated from your sources.  Check here for more info:  https://serverfault.com/questions/300749/apt-get-update-upgrade-list-without-changing-anything

Very much looking forward to that. From what i have read from the .net thread its going to be a major improvement. 

I am thinking about upgrading my pi with a tinker board also from the specs it looks like a pretty substantial upgrade.

Yep it was one of my other repositories that was mucking things up. I re-did everything and first added the mono snapshot repo that points to 4.8.1 and installed mono. It only installed mono 4.8.1 like i had expected earlier.

I will also say I have read things from other sites questioning if there was any "real" advantage to booting from a usb. If you use a USB hard drive ( preferably one with its own power supply ) there is a easily noticeable difference from using the microsd card. One of these times i had emby up and running from the microsd and it was a dog by comparison. Its a somewhat cheap upgrade, especially if you have an extra hard drive enclosures to adapt to usb can be found generally between 10-20$ depending on how fancy you want to go.

the sudo apt-get -s switch i also found very handy along with the mount -a command. Nice to simulate things before really cementing them especially for things that normally happen on reboot like making changes to fstab.

I just realized i never actually said what the repo was. 

For raspbien stretch and likely many debian based os's use deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots/4.8.1.0 main as a repo for mono. This will pin it to mono 4.8.1

I forget the command but i used google to find it but you will have to get the pubkey for the repo.