FreeBSD Emby - FFMPEG

wolverine79936

wolverine79936

Alright. I'm having trouble recompiling FFMPEG for Emby on FreeBSD. It tells me that the make is ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch. 1 out of 1 hunks ignored--saving rejects to Makefile.rej. THen it crashes on error code 1, stating that FreeBSD patch patch-Makefile failed to apply cleanly. There is no Makefile.rej so I cannot manually install this patch that BSD is rambling about and I cannot recompile FFMPEG. Can anyone help me?

EDIT: Alright. I had to do some research and finagling to get this part of the install process to work. Now, though, I have an empty EMBY server up and running, again. BUT! Even this Emby server is telling me there is an update and that I need to shutdown emby and install the update. How do I get the update? I'm not using the FreeNAS plugin this time. New jail, totally from scratch and manually installed.

Edited by wolverine79936

mrvirtual

Hi, it appears that 3.2.27.0 is the current released version for BSD, it sometimes a while for the next update to come across to FreeBSD.

I just keep checking.

I have asked about the release of this in another thread but no date as yet alas.

MV.

• 4 weeks later...
karmantyu

Here we see the procedure to compile FFMPEG

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

It's not working because the correct code would be:

# Update FreeBSD ports tree
portsnap fetch update extract

# Install ffmpeg build dependencies

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg
pkg install `make build-depends-list | tr '\n' ' ' | sed 's/\/usr\/ports\///g' | sed 's/audio\/lame //g'`

# Remove default FFMpeg and ImageMagick packages
pkg delete -f ffmpeg
pkg delete -f ImageMagick

# Reinstall FFMpeg from ports with lame option enabled

make config
# enable the lame option
# enable the SMB option
# enable the ass subtitles option
# enable the opus subtitles option
# enable the x265 subtitles option
make install clean

# Reinstall ImageMagick

cd /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick
make config
# disable (UNSET) the 16BIT_PIXEL (to increase thumbnail generation performance)
make install clean

etc

Edited by karmantyu
  • Like 1

karmantyu

If you fetch portsnap update and not extracting it then it is not possible to compile anything.

If you are removing ffmpeg package and using the pkg install line to get dependencies, the command will install ffmpeg package again. After this you can not compile ffmpeg so remove ffmpeg package after installing dependencies.

This two thing is the most important and missing it could be catastrophic for newbies like me.

funsalami

Here we see the procedure to compile FFMPEG

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

It's not working because the correct code would be:

# Update FreeBSD ports tree

portsnap fetch update extract

# Install ffmpeg build dependencies

cd /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg

pkg install `make build-depends-list | tr '\n' ' ' | sed 's/\/usr\/ports\///g' | sed 's/audio\/lame //g'`

# Remove default FFMpeg and ImageMagick packages

pkg delete -f ffmpeg

pkg delete -f ImageMagick

# Reinstall FFMpeg from ports with lame option enabled

make config

# enable the lame option

# enable the SMB option

# enable the ass subtitles option

# enable the opus subtitles option

# enable the x265 subtitles option

make install clean

# Reinstall ImageMagick

cd /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick

make config

# disable (UNSET) the 16BIT_PIXEL (to increase thumbnail generation performance)

make install clean

etc

It looks like there are steps missing. How do you enable the different encoding options? Is there a configuration file? Are there flags when compiling the port?

The code you have here is all commented out. For example: # enable the x265 subtitles option

Is that a note to me, the user? I should do this? OK, that's fine. But how? Is there a flag somewhere? Is there a config file somewhere?

Also, I'm getting this error when I try the make config step:

mtree: unknown group `wheel'
mtree: failed at line 6 of the specification
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
*** Error code 1

Anyhow, very confused. Appreciate any assistance!

Edited by funsalami

karmantyu

It looks like there are steps missing. How do you enable the different encoding options? Is there a configuration file? Are there flags when compiling the port?

The code you have here is all commented out. For example: # enable the x265 subtitles option

Is that a note to me, the user? I should do this? OK, that's fine. But how? Is there a flag somewhere? Is there a config file somewhere?

Also, I'm getting this error when I try the make config step:

mtree: unknown group `wheel'
mtree: failed at line 6 of the specification
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
*** Error code 1

Anyhow, very confused. Appreciate any assistance!

I think you can make a service upgrade before you start anything. Of course that is not written but you should be superuser to have the right to do stuff like system file manipulation.

So SSH in your FreeBSD system or open a terminal, get

su

do

pkg upgrade

After everything went all right you can do the lines mentioned in the post above.

If you are beginning to build a package with make install clean you should get a configuration panel where you can check/uncheck the different port options written as comments above in the notes for the user.

I am not very skilled in FreeBSD either but it seems to me very likely your system is either an experimental or outdated one.

If you give uname -a

command the output should be version 11 Stable or Release.

funsalami

OK, my "wheel" error may be caused by the fact the newly-created Emby jail doesn't have a wheel group.

But, assuming we're past that, I'm still confused about the "# enable the SMB option" (and similar)

karmantyu

OK, my "wheel" error may be caused by the fact the newly-created Emby jail doesn't have a wheel group.

But, assuming we're past that, I'm still confused about the "# enable the SMB option" (and similar)

If you are beginning to build a package with make install clean you should get a configuration panel where you can check/uncheck the different port options written as comments above in the notes for the user. ;)

I've asked the freebsd package maintainer for his comments on whether the ffmpeg instructions need updating. Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
adrianwi

The instructions are fine, as I've just reinstalled ffmpeg and imagemagick from the port tree with some different configuration options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
FreeBSD_Lover

Quick question.  I didn't recompile FFMPEG yet, its FreeBSD stock. Do I really *need* to do it now, or can I do it later when I want other features enabled?  I don't know yet what enabling those FFMPEG options will do for me.  Feel free to point me to a URL where I can read up on it.

You can do it later as long as there is an ffmpeg build available with ffprobe that can be used to extract media info. Also if it's more than a year old you probably should just do it now. Thanks.