Nvidia Shield for Emby

scubajwd

Hi;;; New Emby convert here from Plex...I'm considering buying a Shield for use

with my Silicon Dust Prime and SDDVR..not quite made the jump to Emby DVR yet but

am close..does the Shield afford a good/great viewing experience fro both recorded content

as well as live TV?  Currently using an ATV Gen 4 and its OK (minus Live TV of course);

anyone strongly opinonated one way or the other on these two streaming clients? Both

video & audio comments will be appreciated..thanx in advance

The Shield is pretty much the creme of the crop for Android TV devices.  I have two of them in my main viewing areas.

kanipek

Yeah the Shield really does a great job with everthing I have tried. Emby, Netflix, Hulu and all the rest.

The thing I like most about it is it continues to be supported by Nvidia with updates.

Also the best I have found to use Live TV with. Emby tunes around 7 seconds. Live channels app around 4 seconds.

BAlGaInTl

Yeah the Shield really does a great job with everthing I have tried. Emby, Netflix, Hulu and all the rest.

The thing I like most about it is it continues to be supported by Nvidia with updates.

Also the best I have found to use Live TV with. Emby tunes around 7 seconds. Live channels app around 4 seconds.

I have to agree.  The shield is by far my best streaming device.

I haven't tested how long it takes to tune Live TV recently, but I think it's a bit longer than that.  Everything is transcoded because of the audio (I think). 

• Like 1

kanipek

I have to agree.  The shield is by far my best streaming device.

I haven't tested how long it takes to tune Live TV recently, but I think it's a bit longer than that.  Everything is transcoded because of the audio (I think). 

I actually have timed channel tuning. If I am transcoding on the Shield it is 12-15 seconds depending on the channel. Direct play on the Shield is right at 7 seconds - I had to set the audio in the shield to stereo and use the VLC option in Emby to get direct play to work though. These times will probably vary a bit depending on network each of us is using though.

jasonmcroy

I have to concur with everyone on this thread. The Shield Device was my best investment. I now have the Pro Model in the Living Room and the 16 gb model upstairs in the bedroom. 

I too look forward to Emby Server being available on the Shield as I have tried Plex and while it works well, I still prefer Emby so just using my HTPC until that magical day comes.

Can the shield stream full bitrate HD MKV's from Emby without any transcoding?

No idea what "full bitrate" is but the Shield can handle high bitrate content.  I think the highest I have is about 30Mb/s but I believe I've seen people report that they can play some home videos they've done at really high rates.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Can the shield stream full bitrate HD MKV's from Emby without any transcoding?

It handles as high as any blu-ray rip I've tested.

• Like 1

Interesting. There's a new $179 shield coming out, 16GB and no game controller, so a dedicated streaming box.

Good move on their part and makes it the same price as the new Apple TV (no coincidence, I'm sure).

maegibbons

I still think the Fire TV for the price is pretty awesome.

Does everything I need,

But I do not have fancy audio setups like some of you.

Just HDMI in to the back of the Telly!

Krs

Mark.

• 3 months later...
scubajwd

Ordinarily I'd love to join in for the Android platform testing but

I do not have a Shield...so can't help you...Thanks for asking

scubajwd

Ohhhh..so I did; I'm still considering getting one but some folks

hosting Plex & Channels have found it underpowered for server

duty...so I'll follow efforts here to see where this goes for Emby

kanipek

It's very early but please feel free to join in on the testing.

Emby Server for Android !

Enjoy.

@@kanipek

@@jasonmcroy

@@maegibbons

@@ShoutingMan

@@Deathsquirrel

@@scubajwd

@Luke   Love to be a tester.  I assume Emby-Server for Android can be run concurrently with my production server? Same network - Don't want to run into any issues with the family.