Multi-part Movie with gap in the middle; how would Emby deal?

afullmark

afullmark

I've come across a problem with the HDHR record engine: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=66161&sid=38f0c57d2acb1a010ca8df9e15f14f01

What I really wanted to know was how would Emby handle this situation: 

I set to record a Movie but two separate attempts have failed, and both with the same result: the recording finished too early:

The English Patient
11.30pm-2.25am ITV3

I got replies as to how HDHR doesn't deal with these types of broadcasts well – multi-part movies with a break in the middle:

The problem is most likely the guide has a 5 minute show scheduled in the middle of the movie so it did what it was told to do and recorded for the scheduled hour. According to itv.com/tvguide it was to air from 11:30-12:30 which is what recorded (1 hour time difference of UTC which I assume is correct). Then from 12:30-12:35 they had FYI Daily. Then from 12:35-2:25 they have The English patient again. What does surprise me (unless you told it to record a specific "episode" at a specific time) is that there was no attempt to start up again at 12:35 (assuming the timezone difference is correct 23:35 so should be in that log) but there may have been an issue that it thought it was the same as a previous recording (though may not because of the difference in length, not sure all the parameters they check for same as previous)

And another reply:

This (two part for a single show) issue is one of the "well experienced" issues with (especially) the UK guide data (it has been reported by others in other forums) especially when trying to do duplicate detection as there was reported to be no differentiation in the two (or more?) parts. I seem to recall there have been some suggestions/proposals as to how to address the issue for the EPG, but I do not know if a way forward has been agreed to (Metabroadcast (Atlas) is the definitive source of a lot of the UK guide data, and they have moved all the data behind a paywall, so I can't even see it anymore). And that does not even address exactly how one is expected to "splice" together the two (or more?) parts in a recording (should it record as two parts, should it try to add to the recording (pretending the show in the middle never happened), should it record continuously including the show in the middle?) This one could be interesting.

Well, in his example, SD didn't record the second part because it thought it was the same show.  If the data is the same for us, then we would probably miss it too.  Not sure how we could do anything else if the guide is telling us that the two shows are the same thing.

afullmark

Well, in his example, SD didn't record the second part because it thought it was the same show. If the data is the same for us, then we would probably miss it too. Not sure how we could do anything else if the guide is telling us that the two shows are the same thing.

Manually setting times would be an option. Or an option to auto join two recordings. In this case the guide showed the two halfs plus the break in the middle: so could emby perhaps auto join these two parts if they were selected in the guide with, say an advanced option to join? Not sure how this would technically affect subtitles or audio; messing with .ts can alter timings and even drop subtitles as .ts to mkv has shown.

Edited by afullmark

afullmark

We would currently handle the same way. I would just join them after recording.

Could this be a future emby enhancement: selecting the two parts in the guide and then some join option in advanced settings? Messing with .ts can cause issues: dropped subtitles or timing issues.