Trailer clarification (Fire TV)

TylerV76

TylerV76

Im on the verge of a lifetime subscription to Emby and completely removing Plex from my server but theres one thing driving me insane and thats trailers. Ive read through as much as I could find but still unsure of the answer.

Can Emby play trailers without any plug-ins installed on a Fire TV? They play fine on my pc and android phone with no plug-ins but I get the youtube error on the Fire TV. I saw a brief post stating there was a beta build that was going to incorporate them into Fire TV by opening Youtube. Did I read that correctly and does it work? Also, will there be any way for this to work on X Box one at some point?

Lastly, I dont need to install the trailers download unless I want to use cinema mode or have a channel to search for trailers correct? All I want is to open the movie, click the trailer button, and watch the trailer.

On a side note, Im loving Emby and with the recent decision and backtracking with Plex, Ive converted everything I have to run through Emby. No more Tablo, Plex etc. In the few months Ive been using Emby its been fantastic. Appreciate all the hard work!

TylerV76

That its unable to open youtube streams externally. Youtube is installed on the Fire TV though. I thought I read that a beta version allowed the Fire TV to open basic youtube streams. 

I dont have the exact error as Im not home but when I get there in a couple hours I'll post it.

That version was released a while back.

You are the first to report a problem with it so please provide the exact error message when you can.  Thanks.

Okay, thanks.  The problem is that YouTube updated their app a few weeks ago which made our launching method quit working so we moved to a more generic version - which works on true Android.  Apparently not on FireOS.

Can you tell me what your YouTube app looks like on the Fire?  Did it drastically change recently?  I'm thinking maybe the Fire is running the older version of the app still...

aptalca

Same thing here. Before a recent update, the fire tv app didn't even show the YouTube trailers. Now it shows them but it's unable to open them. They are listed as browser intents but there is no browser on the fire tv

Same here. Trailers don't launch via FireOS with the same error. 

Yes, unfortunately, the Fire does not support this functionality - at least not with the new YouTube app.  These items will not show on the Fire with the next release (already in beta).

• 2 weeks later...
TylerV76

Ok Ive got trailers working by using the old Youtube app. Heres what I did.

If you want to sideload it then heres the apk you need - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube-for-android-tv/youtube-for-android-tv-1-3-11-release/youtube-android-tv-1-3-11-android-apk-download/ Once installed proceed to step 6.

1. On Fire TV turn on "unknown sources" in settings>developer options.

2. On the fire tv download the "Downloader" app

3. Download the old Youtube apk from here - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube-for-android-tv/youtube-for-android-tv-1-3-11-release/youtube-android-tv-1-3-11-android-apk-download/

You will have to store that on a webpage somewhere like a web server or possibly a cloud service. You will need a direct browser link to the file though.

4. Open downloader and point the address bar wherever you stored the apk. It will download the file once it finds it from the link

5. Install the app

6. Go back to emby and click on something with a trailer option like a movie.

7. Click trailer and select the youtube app, then scoll down and click "always". It will open youtube and play the trailer.

To get back to your movie just hit the back button on the fire remote twice (once will go to the home screen of youtube, once more brings you back to emby where you selected trailer).

I dont know if the fire tv will autoupdate the youtube app since its not installed from the appstore but hopefully it wont.

Edited by TylerV76