Emby PVR for Kodi

darrenkdean

darrenkdean

Good Evening,

I realize there are some old threads floating around about this, but would like to make a formal request for an Emby PVR for Kodi to be created.  Over the years, we have become 100% dependent on our Emby Server & have experimented with various builds, landing on a Ubuntu Server wtih hardware acceleration.  Emby Server running hardware accelerated (quick sync) on a Ubuntu Server is a beautiful thing.

Our local TV's all use a Kodi setup (wife's preference) with the Emby AddOn for Library Management.  We use the Emby App on Amazon Fire TV's for remote access.

We have had continued challenges with inefficiencies in the ServerWMC backend.  That being said, Live TV within Emby is flawless.  Live TV (Experimental) with the Emby AddoOn for Kodi is flawless.  If the Emby AddOn could be expanded to include a PVR that would import TV Guide, TV Channels, etc. it would make life infinitely simpler.

Is in the works?  Can it be?

Best-

Darren

• Like 5

mastrmind11

Good Evening,

I realize there are some old threads floating around about this, but would like to make a formal request for an Emby PVR for Kodi to be created.  Over the years, we have become 100% dependent on our Emby Server & have experimented with various builds, landing on a Ubuntu Server wtih hardware acceleration.  Emby Server running hardware accelerated (quick sync) on a Ubuntu Server is a beautiful thing.

Our local TV's all use a Kodi setup (wife's preference) with the Emby AddOn for Library Management.  We use the Emby App on Amazon Fire TV's for remote access.

We have had continued challenges with inefficiencies in the ServerWMC backend.  That being said, Live TV within Emby is flawless.  Live TV (Experimental) with the Emby AddoOn for Kodi is flawless.  If the Emby AddOn could be expanded to include a PVR that would import TV Guide, TV Channels, etc. it would make life infinitely simpler.

Is in the works?  Can it be?

Best-

Darren

Not to hijack your thread, but how did you get quicksync working on a Ubuntu build?

Also, I saw a post a few weeks ago in the Kodi section that someone might be working on a PVR solution.  I can't recall who.

hstamas

I believe @@marcelveldt was the one working on a true PVR client for Kodi. Fingers (and toes) crossed this is still on his radar and happens in short order. Would solve a lot of 3rd party workarounds for me!

darrenkdean

Not to hijack your thread, but how did you get quicksync working on a Ubuntu build?

Also, I saw a post a few weeks ago in the Kodi section that someone might be working on a PVR solution.  I can't recall who.

The VA API can take advantage of the Intel Quicksync chipset without using the proprietary Intel Quicksync drivers.  It did not work "out of the box", but after a dozen server rebuilds & two weeks of testing, we finally got it working & posted a guide.  The full guide on how to get it working is posted here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48588-confirmed-linux-intel-quick-sync-transcoding/&do=findComment&comment=461175

Confirmed in the logs that hardware accelerated transcoding is taking place.  Using this build, I've never seen the processor spike above 10-15% under transcoding load.  For the "what it's worth column", overall load appears to be materially less, properly configured on a Ubuntu server than running Emby Server under Windows 8.1 & Windows 10.  Additionally, the responsiveness of remote GUI's is notably faster under the Ubuntu build.  Images from quick test this morning below:

599457f02222f_Transcoding.jpg

599458a17a03c_Load.jpg

mastrmind11

The VA API can take advantage of the Intel Quicksync chipset without using the proprietary Intel Quicksync drivers.  It did not work "out of the box", but after a dozen server rebuilds & two weeks of testing, we finally got it working & posted a guide.  The full guide on how to get it working is posted here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48588-confirmed-linux-intel-quick-sync-transcoding/&do=findComment&comment=461175

Confirmed in the logs that hardware accelerated transcoding is taking place.  Using this build, I've never seen the processor spike above 10-15% under transcoding load.  For the "what it's worth column", overall load appears to be materially less, properly configured on a Ubuntu server than running Emby Server under Windows 8.1 & Windows 10.  Additionally, the responsiveness of remote GUI's is notably faster under the Ubuntu build.  Images from quick test this morning below:

Yeah, VAAPI is pretty common knowledge at this point, I have it set up as well.  Quicksync on the other hand is basically impossible according to the interwebs, which is why your reference to it piqued my interest.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
heula

Hope that Marcelveldt can find the time to create this Emby PVR client for Kodi.

It was on his to do list I saw.

abescalamis

I would love to have a kodi addon for the emby live tv feature, I bought the lifetime subscrition a week ago and then I realized that emby live TV is not fully functional with Kodi, that is the only premiere feature I use and I been thinking of asking for a refund.