• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

In which repo(s) can I find the source code for the web app? What are they licensed under?

#2 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

I see that the emby-web-mobile repo has been deleted. This inquiry was related to that repository.

Guess that mean's it's proprietary?

EDIT: I have a downloaded version of the emby-web-mobile repo and am not sure if I can legally redistribute it.

Edited by draje, 15 August 2017 - 06:36 PM.

• G1zm0 likes this

#3 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 39995 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

EDIT: I have a downloaded version of the emby-web-mobile repo and am not sure if I can legally redistribute it.

That repository was not licensed and, therefore, cannot be redistributed in any form.

Thanks.

#4 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

That repository was not licensed and, therefore, cannot be redistributed in any form.

Thanks.

Just do confirm - this means that the app at tv.emby.media is closed-source and proprietary, yes?

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 105979 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

Correct yes.

#6 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Thank you.

#7 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:03 AM

Also - you should probably file a GitHub DMCA takedown for the remaining forks of emby-web-mobile. There's a few that are publically available for use.

https://github.com/s...eb-mobile&type=

Edited by draje, 17 August 2017 - 12:06 AM.

#8 zub OFFLINE  

zub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:15 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:39 AM

Also - you should probably file a GitHub DMCA takedown for the remaining forks of emby-web-mobile. There's a few that are publically available for use.

https://github.com/s...eb-mobile&type=

Emby cannot file any DMCA takedowns. Repository was hosted on GitHub, therefore GitHub's Terms of Service apply.

Take a look on Terms of Service section D paragraph 5:

5. License Grant to Other Users

Any User-Generated Content you post publicly, including issues, comments, and contributions to other Users' repositories, may be viewed by others. By setting your repositories to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and "fork" your repositories (this means that others may make their own copies of Content from your repositories in repositories they control).

If you set your pages and repositories to be viewed publicly, you grant each User of GitHub a nonexclusive, worldwide license to use, display, and perform Your Content through the GitHub Service and to reproduce Your Content solely on GitHub as permitted through GitHub's functionality (for example, through forking). You may grant further rights if you adopt a license. If you are uploading Content you did not create or own, you are responsible for ensuring that the Content you upload is licensed under terms that grant these permissions to other GitHub Users.

• Baenwort, attaboydave and quasar like this

#9 Letters OFFLINE  

Letters

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:06 PM

It seems like people are now considering Emby to be closed source software because of this. Does this mean the web interface that's included in the server download is not licensed under GPL?
  • Baenwort likes this

#10 zub OFFLINE  

zub

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

It seems like people are now considering Emby to be closed source software because of this. Does this mean the web interface that's included in the server download is not licensed under GPL?

I've downloaded latest Emby tarball from http://download.open...mby/Debian_9.0/ and found following license files:

z@z ~/test/emby-server-3.2.27.0 $ find . -iname "*license*"
./Emby.Server.Implementations/Security/MBLicenseFile.cs - not a license but C# source file.
./Tools/TangibleSoftware/license.txt - TangibleSoftware is some sort of source code converter. file does not contain license
./Docker/LICENSE - It's Docker MIT license

All license files inside of bower_components directory are licenses for javascript libraries. All of them are MIT, Apache or CC licenses.
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/requirejs/LICENSE
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/hlsjs/LICENSE
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/jstree/LICENSE-MIT
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/alameda/LICENSE
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/Swiper/LICENSE
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/libjass/LICENSE
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/query-string/license
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/fetch/LICENSE
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/resize-observer-polyfill/LICENSE
./MediaBrowser.WebDashboard/dashboard-ui/bower_components/emby-webcomponents/sharing/social-share-kit-1.0.10/LICENSE
./LICENSE.md - GNU GPL license

To summarize, if web interface is included in this tarball, it's licensed under GPL but javascript libraries are licensed under their own license.

• Baenwort likes this

#11 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

The server and included interface remains open source. However, integrations like tv.emby.media and the mobile apps are closed source - even though they were all open at one point.

This makes me weary so I'm securing the source needed for a hard fork if this trend continues. I imagine the server will be closed at some point.

Edited by draje, 19 August 2017 - 07:30 PM.

• Baenwort, attaboydave, Untoten and 1 other like this

#12 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

Emby cannot file any DMCA takedowns. Repository was hosted on GitHub, therefore GitHub's Terms of Service apply.

Take a look on Terms of Service section D paragraph 5:

5. License Grant to Other Users

Any User-Generated Content you post publicly, including issues, comments, and contributions to other Users' repositories, may be viewed by others. By setting your repositories to be viewed publicly, you agree to allow others to view and "fork" your repositories (this means that others may make their own copies of Content from your repositories in repositories they control).

If you set your pages and repositories to be viewed publicly, you grant each User of GitHub a nonexclusive, worldwide license to use, display, and perform Your Content through the GitHub Service and to reproduce Your Content solely on GitHub as permitted through GitHub's functionality (for example, through forking). You may grant further rights if you adopt a license. If you are uploading Content you did not create or own, you are responsible for ensuring that the Content you upload is licensed under terms that grant these permissions to other GitHub Users.

Good to know.

Edited by draje, 19 August 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#13 GigglePiggle OFFLINE  

GigglePiggle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

Hi all,

First post here, in fact I signed up especially to get some clarity on the state of the license being used here by Emby.

Can someone please let me know if Emby is still an Open Source (GPL2) product and if so which bits. Also, what is the plan moving forwards as 'the web' is full of posts saying that this is set to change.

Apparently something changed this August 2017 in relation the license model being used for Emby - what did it affect and can someone expand upon the changes or point me to the page where it makes this clear?

appreciated.

Edited by GigglePiggle, 01 September 2017 - 07:25 PM.

• Baenwort likes this

#14 draje OFFLINE  

draje

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:03 PM

Hi all,

First post here, in fact I signed up especially to get some clarity on the state of the license being used here by Emby.

Can someone please let me know if Emby is still an Open Source (GPL2) product and if so which bits. Also, what is the plan moving forwards as 'the web' is full of posts saying that this is set to change.

Apparently something changed this August 2017 in relation the license model being used for Emby - what did it affect and can someone expand upon the changes or point me to the page where it makes this clear?

appreciated.

In August 2017, a patched version of Emby with the premium features unlocked was released. This is probably one of the reasons you're seeing a scurry to close things off. You can follow the events partially in one of the Emby server issues: https://github.com/M...mby/issues/2469

Numerous components have been closed this year, including the mobile apps. It also appears that a few plugins have been closed.

See https://emby.media/c...-moved-plugins/

As for the license changing, the Emby team is not permitted to change the license of the core server unless one of two things happens:

• Permission is received from every contributor whose code remains in the core.
  • Code is replaced by code from someone who gives their permission to relicense.

Recently, the Emby team began making people sign a CLA (contributions license agreement) when submitting a pull request. Most likey to secure their future in the event they wish to change the license. Example of CLA here: https://cla-assistan...ullRequest=2782

• Baenwort, attaboydave and Untoten like this

#15 Protektor OFFLINE  

Protektor

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:01 PM

I  have a major problem with this. This software was built by the community and unless they are replacing everyone's code who contributed even one line of code or they got all 120 contributors to the code on GitHub and anyone who contributed before the code was posted to GitHub then they simply can NOT change the license of the software just because they find it inconvenient and want to try and somehow make money off it. I switched from Plex specifically because this was Open Source even though it has quite a bit to do to catch up with where Plex is currently.

I also was thinking of writing all the code needed to support eBooks properly and interface it with Calibre but I am highly reluctant if the project is going close source and isn't an Open Source project anymore in-spite of being on GitHub for free hosting when that is exactly what GitHub requires for free hosting of a project. I am well aware that coding isn't free but that is the whole point of an Open Source project so people will contribute their time and code freely.

Please don't lecture me on costs either because I have given my time, code and money to many Open Source projects over the last 15-20 years. I'm disappointed if this is just a money grab attempt off an Open Source project and may consider doing a hard fork.

• attaboydave likes this

#16 Protektor OFFLINE  

Protektor

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

I should also mention the Emby.Web.Mobile has a GPL v2 license so once again it can be forked and there is nothing they can do about it. If they want to change the license again they are going to need to approval from everyone or replace the code from submitters who won't re-license their code.This is exactly why most people submit their code under GPL v2 or GPL v3 so someone won't come later and try and lock up the code from the community.

#17 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 105979 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:56 PM

The license files for several plugins was forgotten when there were moved from a combined repository to individual ones. I am looking at fixing that. thanks.

#18 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 39995 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

Just as a point of fact - we do not have free hosting at Github.  Not really all that relevant but that is just an incorrect assumption.

#19 pulse00 OFFLINE  

pulse00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:22 PM

Difficult situation - somehow they need to make money to keep this piece of software alive. If people create forks with the premium features enabled it's gonna hurt the sustainability of the project. On the other hand i don't really like how they simply remove previously open-source (and as far as i can tell GPL licenced) code without any comments.

It's pretty silent regarding that issue from the maintainers :(

• attaboydave likes this

#20 josephdouce OFFLINE  

josephdouce

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time: 11:15 PM

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

I just started to get involved in this project and I think they need to make a page that has a list of EVERY application related to Emby along with its licence and a link to the source if its GPL. 

Edited by josephdouce, 11 December 2017 - 08:03 PM.

• attaboydave likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users