library scan makes Emby server crash

horstepipe

horstepipe

hey

looks like there are quite a lot of people, whose Emby server crashes on library scan when having Kodi clients and/or using the Kodi sync queue.

I'm having that problem, too.

The tip given by @@Luke to disable the Kodi sync queue may help, but I really need that plugin.

So maybe you can take a further look into the problem and try to solve it?

Best regards

JoshFink

Does this crash the server that Emby runs on or just the Emby app? I'm trying to track down why my server that Emby runs on keeps crashing and rebooting and maybe this is the cause.

Thanks

JoshFink

@@JoshFink please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

@Luke, I wasn't reporting a problem nor even suggesting it was Emby. I'm trying to track down the cause as other things are running on the server and I was asking what was happening in the OP's use case. If I do narrow it down to Emby then I can follow the procedure.

Thanks

horstepipe

Does this crash the server that Emby runs on or just the Emby app? I'm trying to track down why my server that Emby runs on keeps crashing and rebooting and maybe this is the cause.

Thanks

it is only the server crashing.

horstepipe

@@horstepipe yes please try that and let me know how that compares. Have you checked out the new EmbyCon addon? It does not require any syncing and it much lighter on your system.

As far as I know the Emby for Kodi addon is not end of life, so that's the way I prefer at the moment.

Ok as I added a bunch of new movies and now Emby server stops working on EVERY scan, I uninstalled the Kodi sync queue plugin. Unfortunately the server still crashes on library scan.

horstepipe

@@Luke

looks like when I disconnect all (Kodi) clients the scan works fine, so something has to go wrong with them even without the kodi sync plugin.

It is just the sync process in general that hits the server very hard and for whatever reason causes a crash.

horstepipe

It is just the sync process in general that hits the server very hard and for whatever reason causes a crash.

hmm okay so nothing you/I can do about it?

Angelblue05

The syncing process will be improved in Kodi to be lighter on servers. I just need a bit of time.

To minimize impact on your server, in Emby for kodi settings > sync options > set download threads to one. Also set number of item requested at once to 50 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

horstepipe

The syncing process will be improved in Kodi to be lighter on servers. I just need a bit of time.

To minimize impact on your server, in Emby for kodi settings > sync options > set download threads to one. Also set number of item requested at once to 50 or less.

Thank you,

number of items requested at once is already set to 15 on all my clients, artwork cache thread limit (if this is of importance, too) is set to 10.

Only the download threads are setup to 3, so I tell my mates to put it down to 1.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Sorry, I forgot to say, artwork can definitely crash your server. Most times, I think it's really the cause of the crashing. When we import your library, we force Kodi to cache your artwork at the same time. Maybe it's too much for the server. You could try reducing that too if you still crash.

horstepipe

Sorry, I forgot to say, artwork can definitely crash your server. Most times, I think it's really the cause of the crashing. When we import your library, we force Kodi to cache your artwork at the same time. Maybe it's too much for the server. You could try reducing that too if you still crash.

so you mean set it lower than 10? (that's the current value, default is 25)

Can you tell me what's exactly the difference when I turn force artwork caching on and off?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yeah set it lower than 10 if you still crash. The setting turns off what I just mentioned. Essentially, the addon will not force Kodi to cache your artwork as your content is imported. Kodi will do it naturally (when your content becomes in focus).

Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

Yeah set it lower than 10 if you still crash. The setting turns off what I just mentioned. Essentially, the addon will not force Kodi to cache your artwork as your content is imported. Kodi will do it naturally (when your content becomes in focus).

ok

but when I change the artwork of a movie afterwards, will disabling this setting prevent Kodi to adopt the change?

Angelblue05

It will also update in Kodi. The setting only plays on when the artwork gets cached by Kodi. With the setting disabled, you'll have a longer loading time for artwork to show up when navigating, because Kodi will cache artwork at that time. Note that caching only happens once, unless the artwork is changed, then it will cache the new one. Hope that clarifies it :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

horstepipe

It will also update in Kodi. The setting only plays on when the artwork gets cached by Kodi. With the setting disabled, you'll have a longer loading time for artwork to show up when navigating, because Kodi will cache artwork at that time. Note that caching only happens once, unless the artwork is changed, then it will cache the new one. Hope that clarifies it :)

perfect, thank you :-)

Angelblue05

No, settings are not printed to log except for pllugin paths and the context menu. I can add it for the next release.

• Like 1

horstepipe

No, settings are not printed to log except for pllugin paths and the context menu. I can add it for the next release.

That would be very kind of you, I'm sure some users think higher values are always better, having some insight here as admin would be helpful.

horstepipe

Some additional note:

The problem occurres way more massively since I use the coverart plugin, guess because it loads the server even more...

As I said, when I prevent my clients to be connected on scan in runs fine, so maybe an easy and reliable way to solve this issue would be to let the sync to Kodi wait until the library scan has finished...?

Edited by horstepipe