Web UI content panel hangs after enabling Connect

adam1010

adam1010

Recently after enabling Connect the web server (Linux) has started taking a really long time (>30secs) to process AJAX page requests to a few URLs via the Emby Web Client.  (This may not be caused by Connect, but that's the only recent change to the system).

This has been reproduced both using app.emby.media (via emby connect user) and via direct IP address acess (via local user)

Example:  (from outside the network)

http://a.b.c.d:8096/emby/Users/003a6x88175b4bdfb652a400bbfc6033/Items/d056b45xd6cc95a669064bd224f8170d

Headers:

accept: application/json

x-emby-authorization:MediaBrowser Client="Emby Mobile", Device="Chrome", DeviceId="3821bcx8d7fb670ca68cbf8b113a8f041b18b7fe", Version="3.2.26.0", Token="2cx341d2bdd94d2db2165e00ef56625e"

adam1010

Attached.

You can see around 2017-08-08 22:32  there are some really slow loads. The emby server is on residential fiber and the remote network is also fiber, so any of 15sec+ load times are concerning -- but the endpoint I mentioned previously actually caused the page rendering to block  (the slow image loading is less urgent).

emby-log.txt

adam1010

There are a bunch of Exceptions in the log file relating to .nfo file handling -- I've gone ahead and deleted all the .nfo files from my system and told emby not to reference them. Not sure if that was related to the issue or not.

There also appears to be a pretty slow load time on that ThemeMusic endpoint (30sec+) much of the time, although I don't think it was blocking the page rendering. I can disable that functionality as well to see if the other problem persists (if you think it's related)

adam1010

Today I saw some 20sec+ load times and it was hanging on a different AJAX call:

http://ip:8096/emby/Users/003x6c88175b4bdfb652a400bbfc6033/Views

(called when first loading the Web Client after signing in)

Not sure if this shares any functionality with the slow /emby/Users/.../Items/...   endpoint.  Let me know if you need more log files to analyze

Edited by adam1010

It just looks like slow performance all of a sudden. I'm not quite sure why. You could try removing the kodi sync plugin to see if that helps. Additionally, avoid the Emby for Kodi sync process for now while trying to figure this out. Thanks.

Jdiesel

I might be experiencing this as well, also on linux. I'll try to collect some clean log files replicating the issue.

Edited by Jdiesel

adam1010

I tried disabling the plugin and rebooting, but no dice. Still is hanging on those calls. And I'm 95% sure it has something to do with enabling Connect  (unless it was a regression introduced in the last few versions of the server), as this issue only began very recently.

You still have the kody sync plugin installed. Try removing that and then see how it compares. thanks.

adam1010

I've deleted the plugin entirely and then restarted. You can see 5 AJAX requests taking over 40sec when loading the home screen (/web/home.html) around 2017-08-12 17:01:12

For those slow pages the log is showing issues with the SQL query execution time.

emby2017-08-12.v2.txt

adam1010

It didn't create a new log file after I deleted the plugin, so just ignore any entries before 16:50.  The slow entries from 17:01 were definitely with the plugin deleted.

adam1010

I think the web app was the only one active at the time of the test I mentioned. But I use Emby apps on pretty much every platform (Android Mobile, Android TV/Fire TV, iOS mobile, xbox, Kodi plugin, and Theater on Windows). Let me know if you need more specifics or if I didn't answer your question (I wasn't entirely sure what information you were after)

Angelblue05

@@Luke -- I rebooted and it started a new log file (attached). Then I ran the tests again. Around 2017-08-12 18:49:55 are some of the slow requests.

attachicon.gifemby-2018-08-12.v3.txt

When you see this happen, is Kodi running? Is it possible for you to provide your Kodi log when you experience your issue? Thanks.

adam1010

When you see this happen, is Kodi running? Is it possible for you to provide your Kodi log when you experience your issue? Thanks.

@Angelblue05  -- Yes, my main TV uses Kodi so it's running 24/7 (There's a couple of things I still love about Kodi that Android TV Emby hasn't caught up to yet).  But no, it wasn't actively in use when I was experiencing these issues. I can't go more than ~5 minutes navigating around the web app without having a page take forever to load -- and I'm guessing the other platforms use the same API as the web-app which would explain the occasional sluggishness there too  (it's just a lot easier for me to see the web requests on the web app to help identify the problematic endpoints).

Try shutting down all devices running Emby for kodi, then restarting the server and see if the issue persists with the web app. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
adam1010

@@Luke @Angelblue05  Sorry for the delay here -- I've confirmed this issue/bug is still present even after restarting Kodi and the server. The website slows to a crawl on many pages and you just have to wait it out (refreshing the page doesn't seem to break the stall).

Do you need updated server logs?  Was the fix/patch that you applied to the server related to Connect? I still have a sneaky feeling this may be related to enabling Connect.

adam1010

@@Luke Attached.   A few entries I noticed:

1)  2017-08-27 23:53:43.560 Debug SqliteItemRepository: GetItemList query time (slow): 59.4 secs

2)  2017-08-27 23:53:46 you can see a 62sec load time on /emby/Search/Hints

Not sure if this matters, but this setup is on a unRAID server where Emby is run inside of a container. The Emby server database/files are mounted to the container so Emby can access. Emby server updates are accomplished by deleting the server container and installing a fresh container with the new Emby server version (and the database is again mounted to the new container). It's been setup this way for over a year without any issues but I thought I'd mention it.

emby-20170828.txt