embymagick and embysqlite on alpine linux

aptalca

aptalca

I noticed that the package managers and the official docker use custom built packages for limmagick and sqlite.

What are the benefits and are they required?

I'm running emby server on alpine. Mono is custom built. Is there a way I can get the emby magick and libembysqlite compiled (I couldn't find their sources in github)? Because there are no packages for them on alpine.

Thanks

Yes they are required. The benefit is we don't have to deal with the system version. Why not just use our Docker install?

aptalca

Official docker has no hw transcoding.

At Linuxserver.io, we are building a test version of a docker image doing hw transcode. Right now VAAPI on intel works great. Next we'll tackle nvidia cuvid/nvenc and after that omx for rpi and such.

We are using alpine as the base and currently emby is using the official alpine packages for libmagick and sqlite (haven't noticed any issues). But we don't mind compiling emby's custom versions if you can point us to the source.

Thanks

Our primary resource for this is currently on vacation, but I will ask him to respond when he's available.

I probably wouldn't spend too much time on image magick. As soon as he returns from vacation, one of the first things on his to do list is to drop it and switch to Skia. The server currently supports either one, and the windows and mac deployments have already switched.

sqlite is really just about ensuring the latest version to maximize performance. it is advancing quite a bit with newer releases and we don't want users coming in here complaining about poor performance because their system is stuck on an older sqlite. We haven't actually modified anything.

aptalca

No, but you would have to pass the device /dev/dri "--device=/dev/dri" and make sure the permissions are ok "chmod 777 /dev/dri/*"

• Like 1

No, but you would have to pass the device /dev/dri "--device=/dev/dri" and make sure the permissions are ok "chmod 777 /dev/dri/*"

vaapi is really running fine with this container...

with the experimental intel drivers you will get much better quality btw ;)

Edited by b0mb

aptalca

vaapi is really running fine with this container...

with the experimental intel drivers you will get much better quality btw ;)

That's good to hear. The first priority is to get the all the features to work.

I have nvenc and cuvid also working in a similar container with an ubuntu base, but haven't had much luck with alpine yet. The only issue is that the nvidia drivers are huuuge.