Freenas Iocage Jails

PhilWhite

PhilWhite

I decided to try creating an iocage jail (Freenas 11.1 will be migrating away from the warden system to iocage) just to see if I could do it.  It took two tries (because I did not read the documentation on how to add storage/mount datasets initially and guessed wrong), but everything is working beautifully.  Except that I now have two instances of the Emby server running on my Freenas box (one in a traditional jail and the other in an iocage jail).  I will eventually destroy one of them.

I tried to find an answer to this googling around, but didn't see a precise answer -- what is the advantage of iocage/iohyve over the traditional Freenas jail system with wardens?

I assume it has to do with ease of use and stability, especially since there seems to be a significant increase in jail related problems on the Freenas forum.  I haven't been able to use the GUI to turn the plugin on or off for a while now (a Freenas issue and not an Emby issue -- seems to be fairly common with several plugins).  

I'm sure one of you guys has an answer @@Vidman.

Edited by Luke

makarai

which instructions did you follow ? i think i am running a tradiotional jail, and sometimes i have to restart the nas because it gets to sloppy. Actually i am not sure if i have a iocage or cage emby running.

Edited by makarai

PhilWhite

If you used the plugin system, then it created a regular plugin jail with a warden.  You can check by going to the storage section -- there should be an entry for the warden under jails.  When 11.1 is available the plugin system will create iocage jails from what I understand.

The instructions to create an iocage jail are not that hard, but it is all by command line.   In fact, you can't see anything in the GUI once you create it, except in the storage tab.

Once version 11.1 is available they will migrate all the current jails to iocage, so if you want to wait a little you will automatically get an iocage jail once you upgrade (they are a little behind it appears, so probably later this fall).  I just wanted to play with it and see if I could make it work.  I've been trying to learn the command line, and this sounded like a good project.

I can list the instructions, cobbled together from the Freenas docs and a few forum posts if you would like to give it a go.

One person in the Freenas forum mentioned that he lost networking from his iocage jail with one of the updates, so I'm not entirely sure it is worth doing at this point unless you just want to play with it.  I kept my regular plugin jail just in case I run into any problems, but I moved all the live TV and TV recordings to the new jail for the time being.  I haven't encountered any networking problems so far, aside from having to manually input the ip address of the new jail into my Fire TV and Shield TV apps.

PhilWhite

Luke or Josh,

I have a quick question.  In the iocage jail that I created I tried to set my mount point in the jail as the recording path for live TV recordings, but I could never get anything to record.  I'm afraid I did not check the log to see what showed up, but will try to do so later today.  I set permissions so that it should have worked and when I used the 'native' recording path to emby-server/data all worked fine.  I created a new directory under /media for recordings and it is recording a show there now once I set that as the recording path.

Is there something funny about using a mount point as the recording path with iocage?  I assume I just messed up the permissions somehow, but with the same permission set up I can record with these other pathways.

To use the dataset in the iocage jail you use fstab to add the dataset, and the default path is the same as the path to the Freenas dataset -- so mnt/Volume/Dataset in Freenas becomes mnt/Volume/Dataset in the iocage jail.  I didn't change the default mount point, and I'm not sure if that might have made a difference?

I would appreciate any insight.

ETA: Just got a chance to check the logs.  It was a permission problem -- access denied.

Edited by PhilWhite

PhilWhite

Never mind, I think I have it figured out.  Freenas creates a nullfs mount and the default setting is read only.  It was worth the education.  I think I know what to do going forward.