Question Regarding Functionality

dcrdev

dcrdev

I'm going to be replacing my ageing HTPC with a low powered box in the coming weeks. Right now I'm torn between the Nvidia Shield and the Apple TV. I'd prefer to go with the Apple TV due to it having that new interface for consolidating TV from various other apps like Netflix and Prime. However going with the Apple TV would require me to ditch Kodi in favour of the Emby app and I'm not sure it has the features to serve as an adequate replacement.

The feature list on the main site seems out of date - so could you answer a couple of simple questions?

1. Does the app support volume amplification?
  2. Does the app provide Live TV functionality yet?
  3. Does the app provide visualisations for music?

Thanks

corey

Hi @drcdev --

1. No it does not, but the Apple TV has support for reducing 'Loud Sounds'
  2. This is currently in beta testing
  3. No, we use the Apple TV provided layouts / templates. Another way of saying that is when you're playing music it'll look the same in Emby as it does in the native Apple Music/iTunes app.

I hope this helps!

orcist

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi @drcdev --

1. No it does not, but the Apple TV has support for reducing 'Loud Sounds'

You should be able to control your TV's volume with the Apple TV's remote.

Dibbes

Not a direct answer to your questions, but a remark or two that may be of interest:

I find that often it takes a very long time (more than 30 seconds) for an HD episode/movie to start playing. I'm only seeing this with ATV, not with any of the other apps. Also the app is inconsistent with direct streaming or encoding. Sometimes an episode will be encoded in whatever arbitrary FPS, if you then restart the ATV or even just the app, the same episode will direct play.

A funny thing I noticed is that with the latest stable version, the dashboard can't decide if it's 1.0.19 or 1.0.20... it will toggle between the two.

Edited by Dibbes

Also the app is inconsistent with direct streaming or encoding. Sometimes an episode will be encoded in whatever arbitrary FPS, if you then restart the ATV or even just the app, the same episode will direct play.

This points to variability in your network connection (or possibly server traffic/usage).  With the bitrate set to auto (the default) it will test the connection and stream accordingly. 

Dibbes

This points to variability in your network connection (or possibly server traffic/usage).  With the bitrate set to auto (the default) it will test the connection and stream accordingly. 

If that was the case, a restart of the app/atv would not consistently resolve that issue. Also the start to play is a lot shorter when just rebooted.

EDIT: To expand on that, this has been happening without anyone else at home, the server being idle so no scheduled tasks running, the gigabit network through the house not really is use, except for a few phones/tablets connected to wifi not in use (The ATV is using its 100mbit ethernet port, not wifi).

The reason I've not reported this before is that I've read a thread mentioning this before and since it's at random and can't (at least I can't) be reproduced at will, your previous answer was accepted then...

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac, so getting logs out of the ATV is challenging

Edited by Dibbes

Dibbes

It's currently on auto as that seems to improve the starting speed of HD content. I have tried other settings as well.

A suggestion (I hope you guys don't find offensive): take a look at how Infuse is doing its filehandling. I know it's a completely different way of doing things, but on ATV it's outperforming Emby as a player (Not on the metadata, presentation or management though)

Edited by Dibbes

Okay, as I said, the only way the playback method would vary would be with the auto setting.  Try setting it to one of the fixed values and then see if you can reproduce what you thought was randomly different methods of playback with the same item.

Dibbes

Okay, as I said, the only way the playback method would vary would be with the auto setting.  Try setting it to one of the fixed values and then see if you can reproduce what you thought was randomly different methods of playback with the same item.

I'll post screenshots once I have them, though not sure what can be done without logs...

• 2 weeks later...
Dibbes

@@ebr, I haven't had a lot of time this week, but here you go:

Before App restart (app has been running a few days)

598dc4c709b74_1.jpg

Notice the app version change as well. It's the same stream though.

After app restart: (just restarted the app, not the whole ATV)

598dc4e214222_2.jpg

Server version: 3.2.26.21 beta.

File name: The.Exception.2016.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-FGT

Max Bit-rate is set to Auto

Network is a gigabit connection from switch to which the ATV is connected to, to the server:

598dcf02c6a07_3.jpg

Transcode, direct play and server logs attached

logs.zip

server-63638059616.zip

Edited by Dibbes

I  notice you've customized your ffmpeg build. Try deleting it and going back to the default. If you still have an issue after that, please try disabling quick sync.

Dibbes

I updated the ffmpeg because of the issue. For me this has been something that has been going since I started using the ATV for Emby back in November I think. I'll do what you suggest and report back though.

Dibbes

No, that sometimes the server transcodes when playing to the ATV and that the same file, when the Emby app on the ATV is restarted, is direct playing. 

Try changing the app bitrate setting from Auto to a value that is appropriate for your network. Thanks.

No, that sometimes the server transcodes when playing to the ATV and that the same file, when the Emby app on the ATV is restarted, is direct playing. 

As I said above, that could definitely happen with the auto setting depending on many factors on your network or the server machine.

Instead: 

Dibbes

Either way, we're back at the start:

If that was the case, a restart of the app/atv would not consistently resolve that issue. Also the start to play is a lot shorter when just rebooted.

EDIT: To expand on that, this has been happening without anyone else at home, the server being idle so no scheduled tasks running, the gigabit network through the house not really is use, except for a few phones/tablets connected to wifi not in use (The ATV is using its 100mbit ethernet port, not wifi).

The reason I've not reported this before is that I've read a thread mentioning this before and since it's at random and can't (at least I can't) be reproduced at will, your previous answer was accepted then...

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac, so getting logs out of the ATV is challenging

Dibbes

@@Luke, I get that you have an issue with me and that's fine, but it shouldn't keep you from reading

I'll let you know when it happens (and it has) when set to 40Mbps...

Rather than challenge the suggestion, can you please just try it? Thanks !