FR - Move user messaging to plugin

dcook

dcook

Please remove user messaging from Emby Server and have it as a plugin, this way users who want this feature can choose to have it.

Edited by dcook

dcook

Because this kind of "feature" should be optional and installed via plugin, not in the core Emby Server code.

It has nothing to do with Emby purpose of being a Media Server

Edited by dcook

pünktchen

I'm only using Emby for metadata management, so can the streaming/playback part be moved to a plugin?!

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Because this kind of "feature" should be optional and installed via plugin, not in the core Emby Server code.

It has nothing to do with Emby purpose of being a Media Server

Plugins are nice but it requires someone to maintain then. 

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Am I using this feature?  No.  Would I miss it if it had never been added?  No.  Would I install it if it were a plugin?  No.

So I'm your best case for supporting this request.  I truly, totally, absolutely do not care about this function.

This is a waste of time.  The function already exists.  You're suggesting more resources should be spent to relocate a function to an optional module when the function in question is already complete, works fine, and has no appreciable impact on people that don't choose to use it.  There simply wouldn't be any upside to doing this work even if the result wouldn't irritate people that DO use the feature.

• Like 3

dcook

There would be an upside if it changes the thinking of the dev's to stop putting these features inside Emby and develop them as plugins instead.  It will take time to change but you have to start somewhere.

Edited by dcook

@@dcook Cmon brah.. why did you make all your topics, similar, and quite frankly spam feature requests all at once?

You should've expected some backlash, just out of the fact you did what you did so sloppily and brashly. Then to defend the behavior by saying other people feel the same way.. Then where are these other people? Why are you their mouth? Don't they themselves have enough chutzpah to create their own threads with their own views?

It's not your project. You don't own emby, or have a right to say anything in what they do. They can do what they decide to do based on who has voting rights attached to their shares. I assume ebr and luke share equal voting rights. Everyone else is merely a suggestion, or an opinion. They don't have the right to frame the future of emby to fit their agendas. The only ones who can do that once again are luke and ebr. The fact these two allow so much freedom of discussion on these very forums is a nice breath of fresh air right? The fact they even reply to most threads also makes it nicer here. What tends to create sour faces is when one person takes it upon themselves to decide for everyone else. This isn't a rip on you either dcook. It is just in defending your opinion in so many different threads all asking to rip emby apart is ripping these forums apart..

Sorta.. Maybe?

In any event, plugins create a mystery of "do the users even know these exist?". How many users do you think never use plugins? To then put these awesome features tucked away in the plugin catalog is to hide them from the majority of eyes. Plugins have a very BAD BAD reputation right now. When people hear, yeah I used a plugin in emby.. they immediately think oh, emby is a pirate app then.. Its like kodi? And explaning the million ways it is no way like kodi isn't worth repeating that often..

Everything happens for a reason - Girl in "Earth Child" tree from the movie "Without a Paddle"

Deathsquirrel

There would be an upside if it changes the thinking of the dev's to stop putting these features inside Emby and develop them as plugins instead.  It will take time to change but you have to start somewhere.

The problem with this line of reasoning is you haven't supported it.  The dev team has explained why this change wouldn't produce the benefits you're seeking.  They've also identified some predictable pain that could result from it.

You DO have to start somewhere, start with explaining the root problem you're trying to solve.  One of the major parts of my career is communicating the needs of technical customers to our developers.  I don't focus on the change the customer is asking for.  I focus on the problem they're trying to solve.  Their actual idea for how they want to solve it may not be effective or could harm other parts of our products.  By instead focusing on what they want to solve I can give the freedom to solve it to the developers but have something to hold them to when their idea doesn't address the root need.

So start with this: What benefit are you really hoping to see?  Do you find resource usage of the server too high?  Is administration of certain functions too complex?  That kind of thing you can get traction on.

• Like 1

shorty1483

So start with this: What benefit are you really hoping to see?  Do you find resource usage of the server too high?  Is administration of certain functions too complex?  That kind of thing you can get traction on.

Truth.

Jdiesel

Slightly off topic

@@Luke Will/do plugins have the ability to create an entry point in the server management menu? I like the Statistics and Messaging plugins but hate having to dig into the plugin itself to access them. 

597ba2e1d9245_Capture.png

No they don't but i need to add that for auto-organize so eventually they will. Right now the auto-organize menu item is hard-coded and will stay that way for a little while so that people get the message that it's been moved to  a plugin.