FR - View Logs in Descending order

islipfd19

islipfd19

I'm a new user to Emby, I find it more appealing than Plex.

I quickly searched the feature request posts for something similar to what I'm posting here but did not find anything. I've found it to be cumbersome viewing logs in the web browser because I have to scroll to the bottom of the page. I'd like to see the logs being displayed in descending order, placing the most recent entries at the top of the page. It would allow for easier perusal of the log by scrolling down the page looking at the most recent entries until you find the first error (or the error you are looking for).

islipfd19

The actual log file itself. Clicking on anyone of those log files will open a new tab to display its text in ascending order.

mastrmind11

The actual log file itself. Clicking on anyone of those log files will open a new tab to display its text in ascending order.

Wait, you want the logs to be written in reverse chronological order?

It is just a text file.  Not sure there is any way to show it backwards...

islipfd19

No, only displayed in the web browser. I know java has the ability to read a file and display it in a browser in descending order listing the most recent entries at the top.

mastrmind11

No, only displayed in the web browser. I know java has the ability to read a file and display it in a browser in descending order listing the most recent entries at the top.

So build what you want then...   what you're suggesting as a feature basically goes against every log file format since computers were invented...

from a computer science perspective, prepending to a string (and a log file is basically a really long string of characters) is extremely resource intensive because the app is forced to rewrite the log every time something gets logged (ie, look at log, remove everything and store it in memory, write the most recent update, then write the previous log from memory after the new line).  And based on the frequency of log updates in Emby, you'd come back here bitching about performance next.

edit:  Thinking about this more, you read somewhere that "Java can do it"

TL;DR  roll your own log parser, or get a better text editor.  I recommend Notepad++

Edited by mastrmind11