Playback Notifications

dbowles1975
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

dbowles1975

I was using Pushover to send notifications when users would stop or start video. It worked fine from the web or from mobile devices. It would NOT work from a Fire Stick or Fire TV. I thought it might be Pushover so I removed it and installed Pushbullet. It does the EXACT same thing. 

Here's what I've done (with Pushbullet and Pushover):

1. Started a video from my phone - immediate notification.

2. Started a video from Chrome - immediate notification.

3. Started a video from the Fire TV in the living room - no notification.

4. Started a video from the Fire TV in the bedroom - no notification.

5. Had a family member start a video from their Fire Stick - no notification.

I was logged in as the same user for all five tests. I also tried logging in manually and through Connect. Didn't matter. 

Can anyone confirm they are receiving playback notifications through Pushover or Pushbullet on a Fire device? 

Yes I do. 

Then it almost has to be something with the plug-in.  Are there any options in it to limit the devices or apps it watches?

mastrmind11

Then it almost has to be something with the plug-in.  Are there any options in it to limit the devices or apps it watches?

No.  

@@dbowles1975, have you tried bouncing the box?  When my notifications stop working, a server restart fixes it.  Granted, I do this when notifications aren't working at all, but might be worth a try.

dbowles1975

No.  

@@dbowles1975, have you tried bouncing the box?  When my notifications stop working, a server restart fixes it.  Granted, I do this when notifications aren't working at all, but might be worth a try.

I've tried that. 

dbowles1975

If anyone is keeping score it actually works correctly with nuVue. I can see notifications for playback / stopped started from Fire devices. 

Unfortunately we can't verify you've setup those plugins correctly so other users should not take much stock in it until that has happened. For example, the email plugin has certain restrictions with the kinds of domains that it will work with. Or rather, it will work with just about anything, but certain domains will require additional steps in order to work. Things of that nature. 

dbowles1975

Unfortunately we can't verify you've setup those plugins correctly so other users should not take much stock in it until that has happened. For example, the email plugin has certain restrictions with the kinds of domains that it will work with. Or rather, it will work with just about anything, but certain domains will require additional steps in order to work. Things of that nature.

Okay...

Edited by dbowles1975

mastrmind11

@@mastrmind11 so you get notifications using the android tv/fire tv app? thanks.

Yes, as well as Screenplay.  I get 3 notifications all at once for the same action, which is annoying, but I do get them.

dbowles1975

Yes, as well as Screenplay.  I get 3 notifications all at once for the same action, which is annoying, but I do get them.

If one of your users starts playing media from a Fire TV device you receive a notification? Pushover? Pushbullet? Email? Notify My Android?

I have set up all four and I get no notifications for media playback. I do get these notifications if I play media from the web app or from my phone. With NuVue I do get notifications when media is played from Fire TV devices. All four plug-ins work just fine for all other notifications and playback sessions so show up in the dashboard. 

dbowles1975

Something doesn't make sense. Notifications work if I start an episode from my phone. This tells me that both the server and the Pushover plug-in are configured correctly. There are no settings specific to the Fire TV. You tell the server which service to use for which notifications and for which users then you tell the plug-in your Pushover auth key and user key (and device if you want notifications sent only to certain devices). That's it. 

What am I missing?