Follow Symlinks Not Working

jaaem

jaaem

Hello,

I have recordings which are not in scrapable formats (from DVR software), so I use symlinks to map to standard filenames. Emby scans these files just fine, and the webplayer and official Emby apps (iOS, Android, FireTV) play them just fine. 

However, the Kodi plugin (both stable, beta, and EmbyCon) will not play them. I am using using Playback: Addon and streaming via http. I know direct play wont work, because symlinks are not followed across the network.The plugin plays non-symlinked videos just fine.

Server is on windows. I have tried Kodi (17.3) on FireTV and Windows, same issue. I can post logs if necessary.

edit: In EmbyCon, if I switch to "http Transcode" it works. but http direct does not work

Edited by jaaem

Angelblue05

Post your Kodi log for your testing so we can hopefully see the issue, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angelblue05

Does playback work in the webclient for the same title? Is it transcoding when you play in the webclient? Seems like an issue with the stream provided by the server. @@Luke what do you think? Is there something special with symlinks?

16:57:12.953 T:8836    INFO: CFileCache::Process - Source read didn't return any data! Hit eof(?)
16:57:12.961 T:3584  NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
16:57:12.996 T:3584   ERROR: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - error probing input format, http://xxx.xxx.x.x:8096/emby/Videos/a6144ec59a661d92330d1a61b7a21b72/stream?static=true&api_key=xxx
16:57:12.996 T:3584   ERROR: CVideoPlayer::OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
16:57:12.997 T:3584  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::OnExit()
Edited by Angelblue05

I don't see any problems in that, log, however, that is only a log snippet and not the complete log file. If you recall from how to report a problem, we do ask that you:

• Please attach the server log from the time frame the activity occurred. See the section below titled Emby Server Logs. Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. When you attach the log, please also discuss what actions you took, and what the results were.

Angelblue05

Ok, well in the add-on you could reduce the video quality in the add-on settings to force transcode. But it's something specific about static=true and symlinks. When you transcode, it creates a new temp file, but static=true passes the original file using the server.

Edited by Angelblue05

Ok, well in the add-on you could reduce the video quality in the add-on settings to force transcode. But it's something specific about static=true and symlinks. When you transcode, it creates a new temp file, but static=true passes the original file.

Yes but as you can see he only provided a log snippet. There is no appearance of static=true in the server log.

• Like 1

Ok thanks. As far as the server is concerned I see no obvious problem.

Angelblue05

There is no issues with the add-on either. The reason it works for other apps is that it transcodes your content in some way creating a temp transcode file. The problem would not be obvious, since it's something about symlinks and static=true. At least, maybe some missing file properties that Kodi is complaining about.

So your only solution would be to force transcode in Kodi. I could add an option in the add-on to support that behavior or you can reduce the video quality in the add-on settings > playback options... Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

Actually this would suggest the server is unable to determine the file size:

2017-07-09 16:57:11.7761 Info HttpResultFactory: Setting range response values for E:\XBMCLinks\TV Shows\Wild.Kratts\Season.0\Wild.Kratts.S00E02 - Neck and Neck (1a566ad2).mpg. RangeRequest: bytes=0- Content-Length: 0, Content-Range: bytes 0--1/0

We are using .NET file system api's. While it should fully support symlinks, you should also be aware that the more tricky you make things, the more quirks you can expect in return. Unfortunately I don't have an answer at the moment. In order to get to the bottom of this this I need to setup an identical environment for testing purposes.

The reason it works with transcoding is simply because the above is not being used as part of the transcoding process, and the things that are being used aren't suffering from any quirks such as this.

• Like 1

jaaem

Thanks for your help.

An option to force transcoding would be good, that way it could be at the highest quality (and require the least transcoding)? I can use the video quality work around for now

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Actually this would suggest the server is unable to determine the file size:

2017-07-09 16:57:11.7761 Info HttpResultFactory: Setting range response values for E:\XBMCLinks\TV Shows\Wild.Kratts\Season.0\Wild.Kratts.S00E02 - Neck and Neck (1a566ad2).mpg. RangeRequest: bytes=0- Content-Length: 0, Content-Range: bytes 0--1/0

We are using .NET file system api's. While it should fully support symlinks, you should also be aware that the more tricky you make things, the more quirks you can expect in return. Unfortunately I don't have an answer at the moment. In order to get to the bottom of this this I need to setup an identical environment for testing purposes.

The reason it works with transcoding is simply because the above is not being used as part of the transcoding process, and the things that are being used aren't suffering from any quirks such as this.

Thank you, that makes sense to what I am seeing in the Kodi log. It complains when trying to detect file properties. It's able to determine the type of file, but it bugs down the line.

CFileCache::Process - Source read didn't return any data! Hit eof(?)

Probably the missing file size property is causing this. 

Angelblue05

EmbyCon has a force Transcode option in the context menu, it forces playback using the Transcode option from the addon setting, you could try this. The addons work together side by side so you can test to confirm it works and then switch back.

Yep, he said it worked in the OP. I'll add the same to emby for kodi.