Home Phone Call Display Emby Plugin Testing

chef

chef

Hi everyone,

Here is a initial version of a call display plugin for emby.

What you need:

An old fashioned USB 56k Dial-up modem:

Netcomm%20AM5067%2056K%20USB%20Modem.jpg

They are pretty cheap.

If you have one lying around, then try this plugin.

It will show a popup in the corner (of clients which will support popup messages) of incoming call information:

Example:

"Incoming Call: Chef - 1800-WhyTheFNot"

Initial setup:

0. Plug your USB Modem in and let it install drivers, plug a phone line into the modem.

(Remember phone-lines???)

1. First install the plugin

2. Open configuration add Serial Port Info (example: COM!... or COM2...whatever...)

3. Choose an admin User to send the popup message.

4. Very important! Restart the server again! This will initialize the Serial Port Modem with Emby.

That last part will be fixed shortly, but for now the last restart is a must for this work work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4x2zj71row41x3/CallerDisplay.zip?dl=0

It's been working great here! And, it is kind of useful to know who is calling while watch a film.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

chef

i no longer have a land line in my home. Are there plans to add mobile phone support?

I'm not sure how to do mobile phones.

I learned the "AT" commands for landlines because I was writing code for ESP8266 wifi module chips, and thought: "hey this would be cool for emby" :)

Jdiesel

Maybe once something like pushbullet or pushover can be used to send notifications both directions as opposed to just sending notifications from Emby Server out is implemented this can be done. If Emby had the ability to receive and display pushbullet notifications you could get lots of neat things to pop up on your client screen, for example incoming phone calls, text messages, download completions, home alarm sensor notifications, timers and alarms, Emby server updates available, and Emby server restart required just to name a few.

Spaceboy

There was a little plugin for wmc that did this. The same as you are doing for landline, for mobiles he used Bluetooth. I think I may even have the install somewhere, let me take a look...

chef

There was a little plugin for wmc that did this. The same as you are doing for landline, for mobiles he used Bluetooth. I think I may even have the install somewhere, let me take a look...

I'll look into Bluetooth since I am familiar with it from Arduino projects

chef

Maybe once something like pushbullet or pushover can be used to send notifications both directions as opposed to just sending notifications from Emby Server out is implemented this can be done. If Emby had the ability to receive and display pushbullet notifications you could get lots of neat things to pop up on your client screen, for example incoming phone calls, text messages, download completions, home alarm sensor notifications, timers and alarms, Emby server updates available, and Emby server restart required just to name a few.

So you're saying we should create an endpoint in the plugin that other push notifications can access.

Check this out, if you install the message plugin and send a json body with:

Header:{some text}

Text: {some text}

Popup: true

User:{admin name}

To: {your server ip}:{port}/Messenger/Message

You can make popups happen without actually using the plugin configuration interface.

Maybe a push notification app on a phone could utilize that info.

Edited by chef

Jdiesel

So you're saying we should create an endpoint in the plugin that other push notifications can access.

Check this out, if you install the message plugin and send a json body with:

Header:{some text}

Text: {some text}

Popup: true

User:{admin name}

To: {your server ip}:{port}/Messenger/Message

You can make popups happen without actually using the plugin configuration interface.

Maybe a push notification app on a phone could utilize that info.

I think you may be onto something. I know nothing about JSON but have learned a fair amount in the last 30 minute. I am able to push notifications to Emby using this command, no I need to read up on the Pushbullet API

curl -i -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"header":"test","text":"test","popup":"true","user":"jeff"}' http://127.0.0.1:8096/Messenger/Message
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

Well I am able to manually request pushbullet pushes however that is about the limit of my ability. It appears the only way to receive pushes in realtime is to listen on a secure websocket. This is well beyond my abilities.

They only way I might be able to get something pieced together is to query Pushbullet at a set interval looking for new pushes and parsing the body of the Pushbullet JSON and directing it to Emby when it finds one. This likely a messy, ugly, and outright wrong way to go about it. 

mastrmind11

Dunno what ecosystem you guys live in, but on Android you can install Tasker.  Intercept the intent, send a webservice call to Emby.  Not sure if there's an iOS counterpart.  There's no way around having something installed on the ringing/dinging device in question.

• Like 2

ChefBennyj - you've come a long way, baby.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

chef

Dunno what ecosystem you guys live in, but on Android you can install Tasker. Intercept the intent, send a webservice call to Emby. Not sure if there's an iOS counterpart. There's no way around having something installed on the ringing/dinging device in question.

I was going to mention tasker. I think that will work. But, yeah iOS is another thing all together :)

Jdiesel

Its been a while since I've used tasker. Trying to send the JSON body through a HTTP Post as we speak.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

A lotta cool stuff can be done w/ arp-scan --interface=eno1 --localnet on a linux box too.....  if you know a device's MAC address :)

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

chef

Well I am able to manually request pushbullet pushes however that is about the limit of my ability. It appears the only way to receive pushes in realtime is to listen on a secure websocket. This is well beyond my abilities.

They only way I might be able to get something pieced together is to query Pushbullet at a set interval looking for new pushes and parsing the body of the Pushbullet JSON and directing it to Emby when it finds one. This likely a messy, ugly, and outright wrong way to go about it.

We definitely want to stay clear of using polling to query status.

If there was an app for a phone which could send info to the endpoint ( like tasker or similar ) when an event like a phone call happens.

mastrmind11

We definitely want to stay clear of using polling to query status.

If there was an app for a phone which could send info to the endpoint ( like tasker or similar ) when an event like a phone call happens.

Tasker is about as lightweight as you can get to do this, especially since he modularized all his shit.  iOS, no clue.  Wish Emby was where it was 5-10 years ago when I didn't have ankle biters running around messing up my free time!

• Like 1