critical bug: removing a library folder affects a wrong folder

horstepipe

blade005

I guess the question is why when adding or removing a folder from a library is Emby starting a media scan on its own without you telling it to?  

If it didn't do that then if you do remove the wrong folder you can fix it before you scan.

@@dcook

Emby kicks off library scan automatically after adding or removing a folder. No time to correct the issue of Emby removing a folder path that you didn't select with the Library UI.

dcook

Exactly I don't think it should be starting a library scan automatically, if you add or remove folders.

Emby should wait until you click scan library or the next scheduled task arrives.

CBers

Exactly I don't think it should be starting a library scan automatically, if you add or remove folders.

Emby should wait until you click scan library or the next scheduled task arrives.

Would disabling Real-time Monitoring fix that?

Deathsquirrel

Then' we'd see a string of complaints about how a folder was added to a library and not scanned.

dcook

@@CBers I have real time monitoring turned off and if I add or remove a folder Emby still starts a Library Scan on its own without me initiating it.

@@Deathsquirrel  Why would one assume that by adding a folder or removing a folder Emby would do a library scan?  They have the manual links you click on to start a scan, and you have scheduled tasks where you can automated a scan.

If we didn't start a library scan after making changes, then it would lead to lots of reports of "I added a new folder and it's not working". So that is why we do it.

blade005

If we didn't start a library scan after making changes, then it would lead to lots of reports of "I added a new folder and it's not working". So that is why we do it.

@@Luke

Agree. The issue of the Library UI removing the incorrect folder selected should not be 'fixed' by not starting a Library scan when a folder is added or removed. That would create more user issues.

I think what most of us in this thread have encountered in the last few months is that we will select a folder in a Library collection that may be the third one down in the UI list and click remove. The Library UI then removes the folder path at the top of the list, which we didn't select, and a library scan is then kicked off. Happened to me a few months back and I had over 2,500 movies removed from my library after the scan. That was a long and painful recovery process.

Since then, I only feel comfortable removing a folder in a library by manually editing the OPTIONS.XML file associated with that library and removing the folder path.

horstepipe

@@Luke

When fixing the UI-bug, please add the folder name to the

"Are you sure you want to delete the folder?"

question as an additional security measure

• Like 1

Spaceboy

@@Luke

When fixing the UI-bug, please add the folder name to the

"Are you sure you want to delete the folder?"

question as an additional security measure

this is exactly what is needed

• 4 weeks later...
tosa65

Fakt is: Emby löscht den falschen Ordner/Verzeichnis. PUNKT !!!

Und das is ein BUG...

Was soll die dumme Diskussion, ob Ihr das tut oder nicht...

Edited by tosa65