critical bug: removing a library folder affects a wrong folder

horstepipe

horstepipe

hey

I'm having a tv shows library containing 6 folders. I just wanted to remove one of those folders ( the lowest one in the list) and the wrong one was deleted from the list.

Looks like there is no way to quickly undo this change. Now I need to rescrape a bunch of shows...

Edited by horstepipe

horstepipe

Yep reported this before

this is really bad, I had about 50 shows there, all with manual edited genres, season posters etc....

PenkethBoy

unfortunately it been like that for an age - random deletions from folder list

horstepipe

So how can I delete a folder from my library without shi***** in my pants?

Edited by horstepipe

this is really bad, I had about 50 shows there, all with manual edited genres, season posters etc....

None of that should have been lost.  The only thing that was removed was the reference to the library location.

nagetech

This exact same thing happened to me twice.... I honestly thought it was my own goof up...... good to hear it wasn't me per say

horstepipe

None of that should have been lost.  The only thing that was removed was the reference to the library location.

nope it's all lost

horstepipe

This exact same thing happened to me twice.... I honestly thought it was my own goof up...... good to hear it wasn't me per say

yes, happened to me a couple of months before once, too. I also thought it was my fault. But this time I'm sure I clicked right :-/

Guest asrequested

This is why I'm creating a backup server. I've had quite a bit of stuff magically disappear. Only to realize too late. I've never reported it because I couldn't corroborate the cause. Until I get my backup running, I manually organize my files. Backup drive is ordered :)

• Like 1

nope it's all lost

You put the library location right back, ran a scan and you lost metadata?

Were you storing the data with the media?

blade005

nope it's all lost

Do you save Artwork and Metadata in media folders? This would prevent you from losing any manually edited metadata you have created.

Save artwork and metadata into media folders

Saving artwork and metadata directly into media folders will put them in a place where they can be easily edited.

horstepipe

nope I don't and don't want to store the metadata in the media folders.

A scan is being initiated automatically after you remove a folder...

horstepipe

This is why I'm creating a backup server. I've had quite a bit of stuff magically disappear. Only to realize too late. I've never reported it because I couldn't corroborate the cause. Until I get my backup running, I manually organize my files. Backup drive is ordered :)

yeah setting up a backup server is absolutiely overdue here, I've learned from it now :-/

A scan is being initiated automatically after you remove a folder...

Right, but, when you then add it back and let the scan complete...?

However, if you want to customize your metadata, you should be saving it with the media because that is the best way for you to fully control it.

blade005

So how can I delete a folder from my library without shi***** in my pants?

@@horstepipe

Have had the same thing happen multiple times. Emby removes the wrong path when you use the Dashboard UI.

Only safe way I have found is to manually remove the path from the OPTIONS.XML file that is found in the folder for the specific library collection in Emby-Server install location. I also remove the MBLINK file that is created for that path as well.

1. Shut down Emby Server so you can gain access and edit the OPTIONS.XML file.
  2. Navigate to library collections location to find specific library folder you want to edit.  \Emby-Server\root\default is the default install location on my machine. I right-click and EDIT the OPTIONS.XML file in the library folder of the collection and remove the path reference of the folder path.
  3. Remove MBLINK file that references the path you are removing from library. (Not sure if this is necessary, but can't hurt to clean it up if removing path from the library.)
  4. Restart Emby Server and check library to see if path is removed from Library. Run Library Scan to update.

That is the only trusted method that has worked for me, since this issue first presented itself a few months back.

Adding folders with Dashboard UI works just fine. Only removing folder paths seems to be an issue.

Edited by blade005
  • Like 1

CBers

Have had the same thing happen multiple times. Emby removes the wrong path when you use the Dashboard UI.

But the content in that path/folder isn't deleted is it?

blade005

But the content in that path/folder isn't deleted is it?

@@CBers

Stored metadata is not deleted, but content is removed from library.

You select PATH THREE in your Library list to be removed and you can see in the UI that PATH ONE at the top of the Library list is removed. The path you actually Highlighted and select the minus icon to remove is still listed in the library. But, you have removed a path from your library and Emby has now kicked off a library scan. A library scan that is now removing the content of a path you didn't want removed and the one you did want removed is still there. It can be remedied by adding the path back, but if that path was pointing at 2,500 movies you now have a long library scan ahead of you, because all of this removed content is now treated as new entries again, regardless of if you have metadata stored in the media folders.

Definitely a frustrating process.

Edited by blade005
  • Like 1

CBers

And @@Luke and @@ebr are fully aware of this BUG?

Are there other threads detailing this bug?

Have server logs been provided when it happened?

horstepipe

I guess most affected people thought it was their mistake :-)

blade005

@@CBers

There is a thread in Server Testing area detailing the issue.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46204-deleting-library-folder/

I don't know that @@Luke was able to recreate the issue. But, since more are reporting the same issue, I guess it still is a problem. My library is pretty set and I haven't had the need to remove any paths recently to test. But, I would likely use the manual process I described to be safe. Don't want to have to rebuild a large portion of my library again because of a UI bug.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

All of mine were archived, and by the time noticed they were missing, I couldn't definitively say what had caused it. Emby was the most likely culprit, as the only other possibility was the OS. As I couldn't give an example of "first I did this and then that happened", there wasn't much point in reporting it. Since then I've changed how I manage my media, and I haven't lost anything. Once I create my backup, I'll start using the server to manage my media, again. Then I'll see what happens.

Spaceboy

I reported it a couple of months ago, because it didn't affect my ongoing usage of Emby I didn't follow up. Seems things only get done if you follow up...
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I noted this in another thread, if you are customizing metadata you REALLY need to use the option to store metadata with your media.  This allows you to easily back it up and recover from a variety of common computer disasters.

Obviously that doesn't mean that if there is a bug here it shouldn't be fixed, but if you were taking this step it wouldn't harm you to begin with.

dcook

I guess the question is why when adding or removing a folder from a library is Emby starting a media scan on its own without you telling it to?  

If it didn't do that then if you do remove the wrong folder you can fix it before you scan.