Show other collection items in "More like this"...

trusselo

trusselo

Ok....

I'm using emby web app, I am looking at "T2 Trainspotting", (it is in a Trainspotting Collection).

I click on the movie, looking at all the info and Emby is showing me "More like this"

Nowhere on this page is it showing me the first "Trainspotting"

Nowhere on this page does it say that this movie is part of a collection.

Would not other movies in the same collection be MORE similar than any other suggestion pulled from the internet?

The inclusion in a collection is not necessarily an indicator of like content as you can create collections to be whatever you want.

What are the genres of the movies in question?

I'm thinking the issue here though is the rock and a hard place we are between with this feature.  Every now and then, we make it more rigid and then people start complaining that they always see the exact same movies in the suggestions.  Then we make it a little more varied and we get your request :).

bfir3

The inclusion in a collection is not necessarily an indicator of like content as you can create collections to be whatever you want.

What are the genres of the movies in question?

I'm thinking the issue here though is the rock and a hard place we are between with this feature.  Every now and then, we make it more rigid and then people start complaining that they always see the exact same movies in the suggestions.  Then we make it a little more varied and we get your request :).

Could this issue be solved by adding the items that are included in the same collection to the items that are currently shown as similar content and randomly selecting a number of items from that combined list to be displayed? I guess if someone has really large collections this might not be very helpful though. As you said, people can create collections to be whatever they want, which means the only real solution is if tmdb had the concept of movie franchises/collections and we could pull the data from there instead.

edit: Actually it seems like TMDB has the concept of franchises/collections already, so it may be possible to accomplish.

Edited by bfir3

edit: Actually it seems like TMDB has the concept of franchises/collections already, so it may be possible to accomplish.

The AutoBoxSets plug-in uses this information to create Collections now.

My point is that if we get rigid about what shows in these sections, then people complain that the suggestions are always the same.

bfir3

The AutoBoxSets plug-in uses this information to create Collections now.

My point is that if we get rigid about what shows in these sections, then people complain that the suggestions are always the same.

My point was to take a random subset of all possible recommended titles. This would ensure that the problem you are talking about wouldn't occur.

My point was to take a random subset of all possible recommended titles. This would ensure that the problem you are talking about wouldn't occur.

No, it actually ensures it because of the random subset part.  If there are enough results, you are not guaranteed to see the items you are expecting there.

bfir3

No, it actually ensures it because of the random subset part.  If there are enough results, you are not guaranteed to see the items you are expecting there.

They wouldn't have to appear there all the time, just potentially more often than other unrelated results. Just give them more weight when randomizing.

Tremas

Personally, I find it much more helpful to suggest discrete catagories such as "More By [Director]/[Writer]/[Composer]/[Lead Actor]" or "More Movies in [Genre]/[series]." I would suggest using those instead (or maybe a random mix of 3 discrete topics). Something subjective such as "More Like This" or "Because You Watched" seems like it is always going to get complaints because the system can never be perfect. I think Netflix gets away with a simplified suggestion category is that they have tons of data that they have curated themselves like labeling a film as "Oscar-winning visually-striking movie from the 1990s."